B&G Simrad 100 Shorthaul course options

Farrari

I've been looking at Course 2 and it looks quite interesting. A good mixture of legs for all wind directions and a few tactical choices as well. Has this course been used many times before or is it relatively new?

Shorthaul - Course 2

Start off Orakei Wharf, rounding Rangitoto Island (starboard), Rakino Island (starboard), Tarahiki Island (Shag Island) (port), Flat Rock (port), Motuora Island (port) to finish Orakei Wharf. (approx 82nm)

I've been looking at Course 2 and it looks quite interesting. A good mixture of legs for all wind directions and a few tactical choices as well. Has this course been used many times before or is it relatively new?

Shorthaul - Course 2

Start off Orakei Wharf, rounding Rangitoto Island (starboard), Rakino Island (starboard), Tarahiki Island (Shag Island) (port), Flat Rock (port), Motuora Island (port) to finish Orakei Wharf. (approx 82nm)

Farrari, I have done it at least twice and its an alternative to a reach there and back around LB

1 problem with it can be getting to shag and there being shag all wind as happen once and over half the fleet withdraw

but it's gets my vote for interest sake alone.

You are worried about wind at Shag D?

Going on R1 and 2, isn't the worry about having enough wind to get past Nth Head first or even over the start line if you are a LH boat :lol:

We'd prefer C2 just so we can use the tiller to do some of those tack and gybe thingies for a change. Been a distinct shortage of those for the last couple of years in R3 ;)

Fair call Knotty

Friday 17 Showers. Westerlies.

Saturday 18 Showers. Westerlies.

Sunday 19 Showers. Little wind.

Monday 20 A few showers with light winds

Course 1 sounds good to me, nothing like a long reach there and a long reach back when your best point of sail is reaching :D :D

Besides, there is less risk of wind holes in the outer Gulf. This is a significant factor given the first two 'events', there is only so many pies you can eat drifting around in the dark :?

A couple of years ago, that was the course with wind to Shag Is, then it rained, and the wind disappeared and the ran got heavier untill finally we were totally becalmed and the rain was that heavy, a sea mist developed from the drops hitting the water, until finally the raindops were so many, they were holding hands . . . .

There were a few boats who finished. We won the no extras on Revolution. I still recall how cold it was coming home through Tiri. It was the last time I only took one set of wet weather gear. That lesson was well applied for this years Simrad.

Indeed, I was sooo glad I took 3 sets of clothes that race and had re-waterproofed my wet weather gear the weekend before. Sailing past the Whangaparaoa Peninsula at around 2 kts and seeing the lights of Gulf Harbour - so tempting to can it and just go home, but no it was several more hours until we got home...

Long range forecast is suggesting, quick ball park -

C1 - Wet reach/run to LB with hints of late 30kts maybe more, cracked sheets home in fading winds but rain free.

C2 - Wet reach to Rangi light then easing into a flat run to bottom end in hints of late 30kts maybe more, quick reach to Shag and back in 30 and less wet from above, on the honker to Motosomething which would require a tack or 3 in 20-30 and less showers, Genny/kites to Tiri passage in 15-20's, tightening kite/genny or maybe down to 2 sail home with wind fading to 10ish.

But knowing forecasting accuracy we'll have to wait and see.

Oh there's a thought....... flat run to bottom end + 30 plus knots + Y88's = bound to be many great keel viewing opportunities :twisted: :wink:

:lol: Last time we had a good downhill push it was like a frecking minefield. Keels pointing up all over the show. It almost got that tricky trying to miss them all we had to put our rums down.

Hi John.

I'll be out there trying not destroy 'Animal Farm' (Ross 930M). Stay well clear, especially to windward, leeward, forward and behind as it's been a while since I swung of the end of a steering bat :shifty:

However, if its really windy, or really calm, or there's the slightest chance of rain you won't see me out there - I am not a fanatic!

Hi John.

I'll be out there trying not destroy 'Animal Farm' (Ross 930M). Stay well clear, especially to windward, leeward, forward and behind as it's been a while since I swung of the end of a steering bat :shifty:

However, if its really windy, or really calm, or there's the slightest chance of rain you won't see me out there - I am not a fanatic!

Hey good one! I'm not doing the Simrad this year so you definitely won't see me out there regardless. If I were a betting man, which I'm not, I'd say you have a good chance of pissing rain and stuff all wind - in which case I won/t even make it out of the house let alone go sailing!

I sailed on Animal Farm many years ago when it was painted green, had a Noelex 30 stick in it and was called Tantivvey. Definitely non class. It had a 2 banger Sole diesel mounted in front of th emast running a vee drive which used to throw its chain about once every 5 minutes - or so it seemed. Bog was in the back left corner of the cabin. Had a lot of fun in it for a few seasons.

Yep, same beast.

Was originally Murray Ross's own boat many moons ago and yes it was a ghastly shade of grassy green.

It has just had a major re-fit including complete new keel, shifted chainplates for more modern swept spreader rig (NO RUNNERS - YAY!), retractable carbon unstayed prod and a new suit of rags thanks to Booboo at Norths. Diesel has been given the arse and it now has a 15hp honda four stroke in a bridge deck just aft of companionway.

Seems to boot along quite nice now and is plenty stiff so not really the "Family Frightener" she once would have been...

Oh, and she's an even ghastlier shade of green now!

Archived