Pelagic Autopilots, anyone had any experience with them

Hi guys I have been side tracked to the peaceful surrounds of a beautiful offgrid northland lsb so my pelagic is still feeling unwanted. It came in a box delivered to my front door. I will dig out the invoice. The arm is ss construction. It has separate waterproof compass and control boxes and looks far superior to my plastic raymarines.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Solo circumnavigator Webb Chiles has one and reports on his blog that it's much more reliable than his Raymarine units (of which he carries several because they're so unreliable). The downside he ment

Hi Guys, Imported one of theses last year. Used for 1600m around the North Island on my Raven 31ft. Didnt miss a beat. Awesome unit at a realistic price. Other tiller-pilots are definately below par

• 1 month later...

Probably a dumb question but...

I have a Raymarine tiller pilot that is mostly reliable except for its habit of yawing 40 degrees every now and then. Can be nerve-wracking in a busy channel so I'd like to change it.

Does the Pelagic need new wiring or can it plug into the existing plug and use the Raymarine control head?

regards

MS

I have a Raymarine tiller pilot that is mostly reliable except for its habit of yawing 40 degrees every now and then.

Mine started doing that.

After some sussing it was found the AP was fine but a small change to some wiring meant when changing motor revs it pissed with the AP's compass which caused the random turning.

The dissing here on Raymarine AP's....is that the computer or the linear drive you are talking about?

I have heard of Raymarine linear drives doing 20000 nm's with just a little maintenance.

ZRAYM81130.jpg

Reason being, I will get a spare if they are prone to failure.

Plenty of offshore boats happy with Raymarine pilots. Some are not happy

Plenty using B&G and happy, some not.

Same with NKE. They all work fine, if they are the right spec for the boat, and are installed correctly. That was KM's issue, the wiring should have been separated, and perhaps with ferrites.

Then there are the top end pilots, with jybe prevention, crash recovery, boat movement removal from wind data etc. Here it is my opinion that B&G lead the way, mostly used on super yachts and serious race boats, but some large cruisers.

Odd variations of course are usually

1/compass issues

2/computer issues

3/rudder position sensor issues.

All of these can be cabling! Communications issues between the units can cause any of the above. If it's N2k, then proper network design, and only 2 terminators! Seatalk NG is n2k.

Yes, my old raymarine  computer worked perfectly until it became incorporated via seatalk into a larger circuit. That has led to an intermittent  failure  probably due to current variation ,according to various experts ( some here).

Also impossible to find , complicated by the intermittent factor. 

But it was good, and all I wanted and want , steer to course.

They all work fine, if they are the right spec for the boat, and are installed correctly. That was KM's issue, the wiring should have been separated, and perhaps with ferrites.

Mine was me moving the power out wire from the OB about 300mm. When I gave the motor some the current (??) increased and the AP's compass didn't like it and visa a versa. I never imagined such a small change could have such an affect.

That's why you'll not find any of my finger prints on the new install :)