Olympic singlehander

The evaluation report for the new equipment selection is out and the RS Aero is a fairly convincing winner in terms of the weighted criteria that were defined, scoring 80% overall with the closest rival, the Laser, at 69%. The evaluation panel included one Kiwi, Jo Aleh, though she wasn't present at the sailing trials. The final decision has yet to be made, but it's hard to imagine it going any other way after the process they've been through.

https://www.sail-world.com/news/217019/RS-Aero-wins-Equipment-trials

http://www.sailing.org/tools/documents/EQCSP4biiiMenWomenOnePersonDinghy-[24944].pdf

One of the interesting things to me is that it's by far the lightest contender, with hull weight 30kg vs the Laser's 58kg, yet scored particularly well in the evaluation for quality and durability...

RS Aero’s finished product exceeded all others in terms of quality and durability. The hardware and

systems are well designed to function easily for the sailor and are proven in international
competition. The spars are built to a specification and quality control standard that is producing
consistent equipment for this international class. The lightweight hull is engineered with modern
materials and modern composite building expertise bringing consistency of manufacture that is
performing in the current marketplace. These have yet to experience Olympic competition however
their World Championships were held in 2018 in high winds and waves at the London 2012 Olympic
Venue with no breakage reported.

Laser out and RS in? I bet Laser are kicking themselves with their current fiddling, what utterly crap timing.

Finn our to a 2 handed mixed gender Keelboat. Not too sure the proposed night racing lines up that well with TV.

"What ya watching? that looks like just a black screen"

"Na, they reckon it's a pile of keelboats on a power reach but I think it's really 2 Black panthers shagging at midnight"

Interestingly, a comment dated Monday on a current TM ad for an Aero (I'm guessing a demonstrator) reports "a huge amount of interest in this boat since the weekend."

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/centreboard/auction-2029723104.htm

And if I'm not mistaken the price for a new one has gone up around $2k since I last looked.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/centreboard/auction-1632741513.htm

Some interesting analysis here of the evaluation process, suggesting that the validity of many of the ratings assigned to the boats are a bit questionable. Overall (my interpretation) he seems to suggest that the panel have tended to understate the deficiencies of the Laser relative to the alternatives.

https://optimist-openbic-sailing.blogspot.com/2019/05/evaluation-of-singlehanders-by-world.html

By comparison, the evaluation report gives a retail price for the Aero of GBP6k, so around NZD12k. Around NZD2300 of the NZ price is GST, so the right comparison is NZD15,200. Obviously shipping from the UK factory to NZ is something, and I guess with the current low volume might be fairly significant, though $3200 seems a lot.

To compare with the Laser, the evaluation report has them at GBP5k, around NZD10k. The current retail in NZ is NZD13,400. If you take out the GST it's NZD11650. Again the difference has to account for shipping, but I assume these come from Australia so should be quite a bit less to ship.

By comparison, the evaluation report gives a retail price for the Aero of GBP6k, so around NZD12k. Around NZD2300 of the NZ price is GST, so the right comparison is NZD15,200. Obviously shipping from the UK factory to NZ is something, and I guess with the current low volume might be fairly significant, though $3200 seems a lot.

To compare with the Laser, the evaluation report has them at GBP5k, around NZD10k. The current retail in NZ is NZD13,400. If you take out the GST it's NZD11650. Again the difference has to account for shipping, but I assume these come from Australia so should be quite a bit less to ship.

Would the GBP price include 20% VAT?

If exported from Britain that wouldn't apply, but GST would when entering NZ, and possibly a duty? (5% on sails isn't it? so possibly 5% on something like a sports dinghy, just a guess).