Knot me,they did not pay 1 single cent for quota at the beginning of QSM,their allocation was based on catch reports,those who falsified reports got little quota. The govt gets nothing from sale of quota between fisherman. Its like buying selling houses,govt gets nil.only time any money is passed on to govt is when one exceeds catch limits and they get a deemed value charge,so its not landed its dumped and if landed they pay a conservation fee of around $1.10 per tonne depending on species.

These are facts and general public have no idea what goes on,all Joe Blogs knows is the price in  the shop for 5 day old fish.

Need to do some homework KMM

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How many of you have signed the petition? If we ant any fish left at all, the quota system needs to be dumped and replaced. Oversight must be removed from the fishing companies. Cameras on fishing boa

This is a political thread. Consistency please, move this one as well.

Its is based on the Faroe islands fishing policy. https://www.faroeseseafood.com/fishery-aquaculture/fishery-legislation-and-management   What it means roughly.Govt buys back quota,then

Posted Images

Who is 'they'?

You're confusing me as to what the desired outcome it is you want.

So legacy is saying take all quota off everyone and then have a Govt Dept lease 'A quantity for XYZ species' to those boats who want to fish it. In that way stocks are managed better with more oversite and less costs as the boat that fishes gets to sell to whomever where ever they like. Oh and cameras on all boats all at the boats cost. Is that the guts of it?

I genuinely have no idea what your talking about or your end goal but are trying to understand. As I deal with recreational and commercial fishos (of all sizes) near daily some things you and others have said seem to completely brush over some genuine concerns and actions taken by assorted authorities I am being told and seen by those very fishos. So no need to get snarky but there is a need to educate, this is that opportunity to do that if you want....or nor, it's your call.

Could not disagree more KM. All the info you are asking for is on the legasea  website.  https://legasea.co.nz/
here is an outline of the issues, written by a friend of mine - who was a small quota owner.

The damage large corporate commercial fishing industry have done to our fisheries.

With approx 85% of quota controlled by 4 large fishing companies & IWI, who in turn lease a large amount of their quota back to these large corporates, they have an iron tight grip on over $3 billion NZ dollars of asset that is still owned by NZ’ers.

NZ Seafood Industry Council (NZSF) is a collective of quota owners & they have their own scientific organisation, Trident Systems, owned by 13 commercial fishing companies, which tenders for Govt funding (from QMS management fees paid by Quota owners) to provide approx half the science now that influences Govt QMS management decisions. This science used to be independently provides by NIWA & other Govt non partisan sources, but another example how NZSF interests have further imbedded themselves in fisheries management processes.

NZSF have a huge marketing budget to counter negative publicity of the wasteful and corrupt practices of their industry. Sinclair’s TV show is one of their advertising initiatives,  using a former recreational fishing champion’s brand to create a positive narrative about the commerial sector. Their financial influence is so great their  marketing budget prevented TVNZ showing LegaSea’s documentary on “Rescuing Fisheries”, the negative light is showed commercial sector in would have risked receiving NZSF’s advertising budget.

Commercial control of our fisheries doesnt end with TVNZ, subsequent poor Govt Minister decisions, lead by an incompetent Public Service’s Fisheries management & political influence, particularly with NZ First via campaign contributions and public apathy (out of mind out of sight) continue to ensure NZSF’s continue control our NZ Fisheries.

Some facts Commercial dont like us to talk about, as they continue to steadily decimated NZ fisheries: 
a) Since 2000 they now export 90% of all NZ fish caught
b) Recreational catch is less than 5% of all fish caught 
c) Recreational catch is 20% of total inshore fisheries (12mile) of which most is snapper & Kawahai
d) Total commercial fisheries biomass is less than 30% now than when the QMS was introduced & now the Govt is looking at a “soft” target minimum biomass of 20%
e) Dumping will continue until camera on every trawler, it was promised by National, now Labour but blocked by NZ First, Shayne Jones is quoted as saying “I wont throw commercial under the bus”. Best explained by memo leaked from
Former MPI of Fisheries Manager, Dave Turner (who Ive worked with on ministry fisheries board) “If we introduce camera’s half of the inshore fisherie’s fleet will be broke within a year”. Why? Because they cant dump unwanted FISH

There is so much we know about, all demonstrating that our current fisheries managment system, the “QMS” is a failed experiment that is failing not just in NZ but around the world.

So how do we change?

Political influence is only chance we have of change, politicians first priority is to get into power, their next priority is to stay in power. With over 600,000 people in NZ we are a powerful voting lobby but we need a unified voice. 

The largest single group of recreational fishers in NZ is the NZ Sport Fishing Council with well over 40 affiliated clubs. They created the recreational lobby group LegaSea to support recreational fishers in influencing political change. 

Commercial Fishing Ind have maintained control of our fisheries because they are united, organised & well funded. Politicians made this mess, only they can fix it & this is how we can do it.

LegaSea have a public campaign to change the QMS. Their goals are aligned with those of this page. They have launched a national campain callee “Rescuing Fisheries”. There are a series of videos and presentation, scientific evidence and a potential solution for NZ Govt to adopt, IF we can make enough political pressure. 

To create this all we need to do it visit the LegaSea FB page or their website: www.legasea.co.nz. 

Just add your name and email & click done!  Get your family to this, your wife & kids over 18, we have 3 months to go to help stop the destruction of our inshore fisheries.

Why do I care & what do I know?

Former member of NZ Seafood & a small inshore quota holder.

Former president of one NZUA’s larger Dive Clubs in NZ

Former Commodore of Mana Cruising Club

Minister appointed as Wgtn region representative on a fisheries management board for 5yrs. Sat along side Talleys representive, met with MPI, Minister Nathan Guy, Minister Nick Smith, seen the science, seen the incompetence & lack of ministerial duty of care.

Represented our region again under current NZ Fisheries head Dan Bolger’s initiative, sat with 120 MPI fisheries officers for a day in a working group with other recreational & commercial stake holders. Saw how individually isolated & uninformed these people are that we as tax payers employ to manage our fisheries. 

While there this is MPI who are unhappy with our fisheries management & Govt failure to act responsibly,  we shouldnt be surprised as whistle blowers in the Public Service lose their jobs. What chance do they have against a commercial fishing industry elite controlling over $3 billion dollars of NZ’ers fisheries. The Seafood Council have the money, time, resources & political influence to retain the status quo, I still know some of them and be rest assured they will do their utmost to prevent change. 

We need work together as a recreational fishers. Sign LegaSea’s petition please, I have & it costs nothing but 2 min of your time.

Footnote: Be clear fault with our fisheries management system does not lie with commercial fisherman, most of them dont even own their own quota, they are told what to catch & where. This is the very small business people whose lively hood is threatened by Govt mismanagement & corporate greed. 

The fault lies squarely with the big quota holders, all Govts since the introduction of the QMS in the 80’s & most importantly, by a very badly managed and mandated Public Service group which started as Ministry of Fisheries, was rolled into MPI with Agriculture under Nationala Minister Guy, the Labour Minister Nash split off again to Fisheries NZ but each time they lost institutional knowledge. Interestingly the same political crawling upper management have climbed the public service ladder and have no intention of changing as their just gets harder.

Think about the fact that since introduced in 1986, bottom trawling, bottom dredging and other bulk harvesting capture technology has barely changed, we still have industry est of 10 to 15% fisheries biomass wastage/loss & environmental damage from these archaic methods, yet boats a larger & electronic fishing technology like Wasp & other 3D & forward view sonar systems ensure more effective harvesting of a hugely depleted natural resource. 

Why didnt corporate fisheries invest in new harvesting technology & implement it? Because there was no demand from Govt’s to make change. 

Another example of respective Govt management, why are their quota allocations still in ther market were quota owners cant catch their limit? Its not because they dont want to,its because there isnt the fish to catch, so any reasonable management strategy would be to lower the catch limit to below the last catch record, to allow the fishery to recover.

1 hour ago, Island Time said:

Could not disagree more KM. All the info you are asking for is on the leases website.

No idea what your disagreeing with but that's not unusual these days.

Leases website, where is this thing you mention?

I think ya mates stumbled on a CC mitigation assistance without knowing it.  He reckons catching excess biomass is bad but the IPCC reckon biomass is one of the things to use to reduce CO2. Biomass production is also worth freaking moonbeams. Is someone missing a potential link that while still not ideal could benefit the planet?

22 hours ago, Knot Me... maybe said:

No idea what your disagreeing with but that's not unusual these days.

Leases website, where is this thing you mention?

I think ya mates stumbled on a CC mitigation assistance without knowing it.  He reckons catching excess biomass is bad but the IPCC reckon biomass is one of the things to use to reduce CO2. Biomass production is also worth freaking moonbeams. Is someone missing a potential link that while still not ideal could benefit the planet?

I hope I have misinterpreted this post KM. In lieu of a sensible argument,  are you suggesting that the reduction of the biomass of fish is good? This is a valuable food stock, apart from its obvious diversity and part of the natural balance of the planets fauna and flora. I hope it was another flippant comment:-)

Watch TV3 tonight, 4.50pm, The Price of Fish.....

2 hours ago, Island Time said:

I hope I have misinterpreted this post KM. In lieu of a sensible argument,  are you suggesting that the reduction of the biomass of fish is good? This is a valuable food stock, apart from its obvious diversity and part of the natural balance of the planets fauna and flora. I hope it was another flippant comment:-)

Your hopes and dreams are alive and well, yes you have misinterpreted the post. I think judging by recent history there is a group whose 'Go to' when confronted by even the most itsy bitsy tenny weeny hint of not being 101% sure of what someone is saying should be 'Have I misinterpreted XYZ's post. Shall I ask for clarification or should I just STFU?'. It's what I do and it very quickly clears it all up...when the response is not just bullshit as many can be.

The term biomass has become a homonym...... and very very valuable. Maybe there are other ways of looking at by-catch and uses for it, some of massive value that would far exceed the actual targeted catch.

I'd like to argue with your mates blanket statement of no technology changes to try and minimise by-catch, waste and other less than desirable outcomes. We have been supplying gear to a big name commercial who is putting many millions of bucks into net technologies in an effort to minimise non-targetted and waste in general. It's a program they have been on for many years and at huge cost. The technologies are getting pretty damn impressive and are working. Sure there is along way to go but when I see commercial spending that time and coin to minimise but only see 'new and improved way to kill that fish' products going into recreational each new magazine it does make one wonder.

Had a suss of Legacy. As a non fisho and not knowing the organisation or it's desires it raised a few questions. A key one is why is Legacy setting it's site so low in expecting well less than 10% of it's membership to sign the petition? Does that suggest Legacys view on this is a minority one? With what I would have thought was an very admiral goal of the petition, less waste by ALL fishos, as a view I'd expect to be universally shared then what's all that about, does it indicate there are other views in play and some of those are more widely accepted than Legacys? I deal with some people who I can ask next week, they maybe able to shed some light on that.

The view looking in from outside, love it or hate it but that's what it is.

1 hour ago, Island Time said:

26th july I think you will find??

"The Price of Fish" The Documentary TV3 Sunday 26th at 4.50pm
Look for it.

And if anyone gets this email from mpi beaware it has commercial ties or at least the promoter has. Fish4al wants you to download an app.This app if used possibly will give comms ammo,look its not us but the reccs doing the damage.On good advice from a legasea team member why should we log our details of where how or how many caught when we do not know what comms catch/dump true records are.

Department of Conservation: Fishing Survey

Dear Fishers,

forward to friend and this is part of reply I got. 

– ex long time leader at WWF, sits very comfortably now making a living from commercial fishing companies with he partner in business

Km biomass is very important part of the equation .As for bycatch under the proposal there is no bycatch all fish must landed. You must understand "Legasea" is non profit organisation which relies on generous sponsors and donations.There is world of knowledge within and is mostly a volunteer group of like minded persons who want what is best practice to leave stock for furture generations

Unlike "Sanfords" and Co who spring up on TV with ads"we only take this much" The commercial sector runs these ads when ever an advocacy group has something over them or knows the truth is going to be expose.

Well worth a listen KM infact all.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2020/07/scrutinising-our-fisheries-quota-regulatory-system.html?fbclid=IwAR1WJ8MFlwq18cUAGR5tL5h_mrfIFfNImQ6CMUEF9JDxR3Rm5wuKgK294DE