Jump to content

Mildew on unpainted surfaces


Recommended Posts

Hi everyone - I have some areas of paintwork on my deck where the paint has worn away back to a pinkish primer layer. Where the paint is thin I've noticed black mildew spots growing. I keep washing them off but am worried that I am doing more harm than good! I was wondering what people use to kill mildew on wooden decks - would you use something like ExitMould or is that too harsh? Cheers!

Link to post
Share on other sites

You are looking for any product that has the active ingredient called Benzalkonium Chloride. Spray and Walk away. It is not a bleach and is safe on Sails and Paint etc
Products like Gone in 30secs is a Chlorine Bleach and bad for such surfaces.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, wheels said:

Products like Gone in 30secs is a Chlorine Bleach and bad for such surfaces.

My mistake, I meant wet and forget, there are definitely two different approaches to these types of cleaners

 

13 hours ago, BOIGuy said:

Kiwi garden moss and mould remover

this not sodium hypochlorite based, some sort of ammonia compound is used :N-Dodecyl / Hexadecyl-N, N-dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride.

Sounds scary and the mist is not nice to breath but it works amazingly on the mould etc on the teak. Spray it on, come back a few days later, hopefully a shower of rain, teak spotless.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/09/2020 at 6:25 AM, BOIGuy said:

this not sodium hypochlorite based, some sort of ammonia compound is used :N-Dodecyl / Hexadecyl-N, N-dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride.

Sounds scary and the mist is not nice to breath but it works amazingly on the mould etc on the teak. Spray it on, come back a few days later, hopefully a shower of rain, teak spotless.

It's full name is Alkyldimethylbenzylammonium chloride (ADBAC). Benzalkonium chloride (BZK, BKC, BAK, BAC) is the more common name.Trade name is Zephiran, It is a organic salt.
It is one of the most commonly used products on the Planet. It is used as a Germicide and is the active ingredient of Dettol. Also used as a spermicide, mouthwash, antibacterial throat lozenge, eye washes, Antibacterial soaps. The list is huge.  It is also a Positively charged Cationic Surfactant and thus also used in a non germ related way as a fabric softener and Hair conditioner.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/09/2020 at 5:24 AM, wheels said:

You are looking for any product that has the active ingredient called Benzalkonium Chloride. Spray and Walk away. It is not a bleach and is safe on Sails and Paint etc
Products like Gone in 30secs is a Chlorine Bleach and bad for such surfaces.

I second this recommendation and you will find this in the cheapest of Pak'n'Save disinfectants as the active ingredient.  I spray my boat, path, deck, roof, etc with it and it works perfectly from a pressure spray mixed 50/50.  Takes a week or so to work.....much longer in summer.

https://www.paknsaveonline.co.nz/product/5231715_ea_000pns?name=lavender-disinfectant

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...