Anchor winch maintenance

Well got all the steelwork out. Delaminated steel,18yr old.About 500/300, picking up 3 frames. I'm thinking wont bother on the bottom side with a new of s/s

Need a bit about 6" / 6" for Maxwell to bolt to,but otherwise dont think will do  a big ss backing plate at all. Any thoughts please?

15 hours ago, whitepointer said:

I sand blasted motor, then coated with interprotect, then wrapped in denso tape, no issues, been 7 years like that

Many don't but many do struggle with excess heat, especially the newer motors that are pushed so much harder than old ones were. Also when people say 'wrap in Denso' some are wise and do what Denso recommend one or 2 wraps at most but some use the entire roll creating a very nice 20mm insulation layer. So like most things these days we have to cater for the dumbarses in public uttering where qualifying what you say can't be done.

15 hours ago, vic008 said:

Well got all the steelwork out. Delaminated steel,18yr old.About 500/300, picking up 3 frames. I'm thinking wont bother on the bottom side with a new of s/s

Need a bit about 6" / 6" for Maxwell to bolt to,but otherwise dont think will do  a big ss backing plate at all. Any thoughts please?

Not to sure I understand what your asking Vic. Are you talking about the hole left in the deck?

I think from memory you are 36ft Vic????

A 'average' 36fter will see around 820kg in 42knts and 1650kg of horizontal load when anchored in 60knts of wind. Wave action will cause that number to spike, possibly a lot.

The numbers come from the US so their 'average' is what we know as a Riviera or similar style, so reasonably high windage and often more than a yacht.

So if your winch fastenings and what tey are fastened too can handle say 2000kg share load you'll be fine. And of course more the merrier also applies.

On 22/09/2020 at 7:32 PM, vic008 said:

I used  UHMWPE, UHMW to replace a wooden base under a winch, should work well also under a deck to take up loads.

20200801_123007.jpg

eruptn, the issue with UHMW is that with highly loaded bolts, it slowly migrates away from under the bolt, loosening it. Its like a really thick liquid. Its probably fine for what you've done, but keep an eye on the bolt tensions....

Alloy, or G10 would be better. IMO of course!