Yacht started at $1 reserve.

wheels

He would have got far more for it if he had commisioned a full survey and made it available to all interested parties.

Some would probably prefer to get their own survey anyway.

Quick sale, and maybe someone got a bargain.

I would say the boat was used as security on a car deal. The owner died and the boat became the dealers. Just assuming of course. But if it is correct or close too then these guys really don't care what they get, as long as they get enough and quickly to pay what they owe and the remaining will go to the Estate. Hence why they don't care what the boat goes for, they will only be able to take what is owing them.

I see no reason why there would be any issues with this boat. It looks fairly well kept. A little after winter tidy up probably. I would say Grant got an absolute steal. Look forward to his side of the story if he would post it.

The vendor didn't have to answer any questions. The terms of sale are very clear. This was buyer beware. Not answering a question isn't misleading. Buyers need to make their own enquiries. Inspect on this date in this time frame. Don't like it then don't bid. Bid taking account the risk - the bid price is the bit the purchaser controls - not the terms of sale! Some of the questions he didn't answer were people whinging about terms - but we can now see the price reflected the strict terms.

If you want warranties then either go buy a new one (guessing you have better add a zero) or buy one that is on the market where the vendor is selling by private treaty - but you will pay more.

Personally if it were my boat and I needed a quick sale and I was going to benefit from the proceeds I would have been more helpful to achieve a better price. But hey there are all sorts of reasons people sell assets. Wheels 'guess' on the reason may not be too far away from the reason. Clearly the vendor didn't care about the boat - it just needed to be cleared for what ever the market would pay on their terms.

I gave up bidding a bit before it closed. Wasn't the purchase price that worried me but the annual upkeep and mooring cost in Auckland. I had thought about buying and sailing to Australia - market is warmer there than here - probably would have douibled your money with a decent sale campaign and more flexible terms - even if it was a $1 auction???

He would have got far more for it if he had commisioned a full survey and made it available to all interested parties.

Some would probably prefer to get their own survey anyway.

Quick sale, and maybe someone got a bargain.

I would say the boat was used as security on a car deal. The owner died and the boat became the dealers. Just assuming of course. But if it is correct or close too then these guys really don't care what they get, as long as they get enough and quickly to pay what they owe and the remaining will go to the Estate. Hence why they don't care what the boat goes for, they will only be able to take what is owing them.

I see no reason why there would be any issues with this boat. It looks fairly well kept. A little after winter tidy up probably. I would say Grant got an absolute steal. Look forward to his side of the story if he would post it.

So there you go, we know the ID of the buyer. Great, let's hear his story as it unfolds... Squid where are you?

I thought you said you had a hidden stash on AC?....

Clearly I am bluffing in one of my statements. But when it comes to something as important as rum on my boat (possibly), surely you can't blame me for setting up a smokescreen from 10,000km away?!

I thought you said you had a hidden stash on AC?....

Clearly I am bluffing in one of my statements. But when it comes to something as important as rum on my boat (possibly), surely you can't blame me for setting up a smokescreen from 10,000km away?!

Yeah nice try. Does anyone on here have the keys to AC?

I am still owed a bottle myself for best thread with the Y11 vrs Y99.. I was in at Norths last time home as well.... I bought a sail too BooBoo!!

I know the boat, was at her launching at HMB, built by Mike James (of James Townsend & Hastie Engineers in Grt South Road...long gone now) , Mike now retired and lives in Kerikeri :D

Grant from wellington brought it. I will have to keep an eye out, very good price if it is in ok condition! :thumbup:

oh crikey, it had better be another Grant from welly, 'cos if i have been bidding in my sleep I'm in deep dodo :?

maybe I'll just wait till i get the inquiry about a swing mooring for a 50 footer......

i was away in fiji and was leading the bidding at 111,777 or so, with a couple of days to go. My wife was contacted by someone who had been interested and was there when it was pulled out and waterblasted. He said the waterblaster blew a hole below the waterline which would have required sealing before the boat went back in. He said he had a steel boat and he and his surveyor walked away at that point. I was prepared to bid over 100k unseen and at that it would probably be not much risk, so i wonder if the wellington buyer has seen it before and if the guy that tipped us off [ my phone number can be found on trademe] was genuine or not but i was relieved when the bidding past my bid . Oh and after a pretty good sail back from Fiji in a 35 ft mono I think I will narrow my boat buying sites back down to multihulls. :)

i was away in fiji and was leading the bidding at 111,777 or so, with a couple of days to go. My wife was contacted by someone who had been interested and was there when it was pulled out and waterblasted. He said the waterblaster blew a hole below the waterline which would have required sealing before the boat went back in. He said he had a steel boat and he and his surveyor walked away at that point. I was prepared to bid over 100k unseen and at that it would probably be not much risk, so i wonder if the wellington buyer has seen it before and if the guy that tipped us off [ my phone number can be found on trademe] was genuine or not but i was relieved when the bidding past my bid . Oh and after a pretty good sail back from Fiji in a 35 ft mono I think I will narrow my boat buying sites back down to multihulls. :)

Not so sure about that... I was out there with a mate who wanted to have a look at it and we we're both surprised that they didn't even bother water blasting it. We left just before it was due to go back in so unless they blasted it in the last 10 mins then someone is telling you porkies.

He said the waterblaster blew a hole below the waterline which would have required sealing before the boat went back in. He said he had a steel boat and he and his surveyor walked away at that point.

Unless she has sat with no anodes for a very long time, I doubt that would be the case with this kind of boat. You would have major damage to Keel and Prop first, followed by paint blwon off the Hull before a single Hole would appear. Unless it came from inside. But easy to fix if that is the case. Nothing serious and still a bargain.

Yeah I never spoke to the guy but I did suspect it may have been someone hoping to remove some of the competition, made no difference in the end as I had reached my limit anyway but the vendor would have good reason to be a tad annoyed with someone doing that, it may have cost him dollars on the final sale price. :thumbdown:

Yep, but be quick , Danielle at North's tells me supplies are low and I have no more for now.

Awesome thanks Squid! Bit far away for me to get to Norths in Aucks tho... Might have to wait until the next lot arrives...

Hi - Grant here with a certain Wellington demographic - 15 year old Civic, 2 hoodies and an old Warwick 50. Few of you interested in how things went after the auction?

Well, seller was a straight up bloke - but didn't have too much time for "trainspotters". He was associated with the boat for last 8 years, has done plenty of miles in the Pacific and down south. Had the original deisel logs since boat built in '86 and she's been around the world with first owners.

Interesting sale style - $1 reserve and not that interested in what anyone thinks or "the proper process". Liked the idea of someone knowing what they wanted and prepared to take a risk!

Yours truly - bid on the basis of the boats history, photos, notes and fact that not many are likely to stump up on short notice and on Trademe. Checked profile of seller and on balance had a hell of a lot of positive trades + a few not happy - seemed to me that was the business he was in.

I didn't see the boat when it was taken out of the water - so was taking a fair chance on the night. No one posted comments on Trademe after the lift out so I just hoped one of the other bidders had been there!

So, what's she like - 5/10 - lemon or bargain?

I've been up and done a lap of the harbour - out and back with no nasty surprises yet - phew. I expected to have a list of things-to-do and there are plenty of tidy ups needed. Mostly the usual electrics etc. and the guy was a pretty self sufficient southern man type - so will need to redo a few No 8 wire's as we go along. No doubt will find a few majors along the way, but the guy fronted with papers, receipts etc for International Paints full spec repaint, full motor overhaul and other works that he put up on Trademe.

Good thing is we topped a bottle of rum with the guy, shared a few stories on some of the good times he'd had on board and both walked away pretty happy with the trade - acknowledging the risks we both took - with our certain demographics!

:thumbup:

Archived