Pre- purchase inspections.

Looking at putting in an offer on our first yacht, with the usual conditions of sea trial, survey/ inspections. Couple of things- can you guys recommend an inspector/ surveyor in the Whangarei/Tutukaka region (ideally someone who could do both boat and mechanical),  and secondly, who pays for what? As the purchaser i expect to pay for the survey, but most S and P agreements I've seen have the seller paying for a haul out and a quick water blast enabling the inspector to check over hull. However this agreement has me paying for everything. So what is the usual process here?  Thanks in advance

5 minutes ago, Bigmac said:

However this agreement has me paying for everything. So what is the usual process here?  Thanks in advance

negotiate it.

We paid for everything on our purchase, but we also basically stole the yacht, so swings and roundabouts.

54 minutes ago, Sabre said:

If a seller is genuine it shouldn't be a big deal and I would probably walk away if the vendor didn't come to the party.

I'm of the same opinion - if the vendor wants to sell the boat i would think they would want it in the best condition to view, ie a quick haul and water blast... unless they have something to hide. 

I agree - vendor pays for haulout and wash, buyer pays for the survey. My s&p agreement also included cost share if osmosis was found after purchase when the hull was stripped to bare. 6mths after purchase there was no osmosis found. 

I personally think that's wrong. What if the bottom has recently been washed as the owner looks after his boat and keeps it in good condition? Should he still pay for the haulout and clean so you can do a survey? 

Buyer should pay the total cost for any checks he wants to do. 

I would never expect a seller to pay. 

• Upvote 3

Tim - Ocean surveys -0274208212
Nathan - BOI Mobile Marine Services - 0226925703

These guys surveyed my last yacht for the buyer in Opua. I thought they both did a pretty good job and would recommend them for Northland. 

Buyer paid for everything but it's all negotiable. 

Brokers will not generally recommend any surveyor due in large part to liability,  any broker usually does have a handful of cardholders topped up regularly by surveyors.

Obviously any hardball surveyor that is too nitpicky or regularly blows a sale will find it harder, but actually they are doing their jobs and signing their name on the documents, its that important.

Most surveys the owner pays for the lift and hold, most yards require the vessel be pressure washed , which let's be realistic allows the surveyor to do his job,  the potential purchaser pays for the survey.

Any owner not prepared to have his boat washed is potentially going to be asked whats he trying to hide?

• Like 2