Mast Alterations

Changed

I would like to add a little more sweep to the spreaders on my boat, so we can run the rig without runners, and to get rid of the jumpers by going to a cathedral configuration. All on the existing alloy rig. Who is the best to advise and complete this work arounf Westhaven. I really miss the advice and guidence that was given so freely.

We recently did something similar to Urban Cowboy - moved the mast a little, decreased the rake, changed the spreader angles and converted to a cathedral configuration. The work was managed by Grant Jenkin, who I can not recommend highly enough. Grant organised the engineering (loads, lengths, calcs etc) and then did much of the work. You can contact him on 027-4931682.

You are also welcome to have a look at Urban if that will help.

By the way - I understand the attraction, but I would keep the runners.

we want runners on the 727, damn near need checks after seeing it dance last weekend. in all honesty, i dont think you could go without the runners. could maybe get away without the checks if you put alot of sweep in the spreaders/move the chain plates. your section is very small and when i sailed with you the amount the rig was pumping with runners/checks i think your thinking is rather wishful.

The work was managed by Grant Jenkin, who I can not recommend highly enough. Grant organised the engineering (loads, lengths, calcs etc) and then did much of the work. You can contact him on 027-4931682.

I would also recommend Grant. He did a considerable amount of work on the cathedral rig of my 930 and as a result she is performing much better. You are welcome to come down the boat and have a look any time.

a.f.u

Thanks for all of the advice and information. Can anyone tell me what spreader angle I need to achieve to get the mast to stand up without the fear of it falling over the bow without a runner? It does have a m/h backstay.

You going to move your chain-plates as well? Sounding major but I know you arent scared of a few mods.

Whats up with the runners? They can be fiddly but with a tricky dicky bungy setup they get out of the way pretty quick, I did it on Black Fun and then on Energy when I put the top-mast runners on. Works a treat.

Happy to help you on that one - half hour job at most.

I still have your orange pennant BTW, I'll drop in next time I'm out on X.

Have all of the tricky bungy mods and course and fine adjustments. I preferred the SR setup where they were there but we only used them when it was up the range or we using a frac gennie. Moving chainplates is not a big deal really (I think).

We're running 22 degrees with a bend around 0.7% of P. That's a very light very stiff HM carbon rig but we still need the runners if we want height on the wind. It's not going to fall over though.

I don't know Cool Change well enough to comment on the correct spreader angle and I'd suggest it requires a little more research than plucking a number from the air.

At Hall Spars we can properly work out what would be required with your existing section. Call me at work if you want to discuss . Tim 09 427 5472.

Well it Sounds Like Halls is the only place to go to as everyone else is Just plucking Numbers from the air,

Just for the record Tim, you guys are not the only ones that can Properly work out the loads etc required.

Yourselves , NZ Rigging, Southerns all have different design software that is used.

Not sure the mast section in Cool change would handle the extra compression from the raked spreaders enough to go runnerless. Might be more like the Young 11's where it needs runners but there is a bit more security in there with the spreaders raked aft. But its certainly going to take a bit to get the rig to stand on its own. Its pretty skinny. And the same size tube on the SR's is pushing it!

Any of the contacts mentioned here would be able to do the job. and being ex the industry im not going to reccommend anyone or i will get crucified by the others!, but all are capable and have the gear to work it out. Just be warned that the mast in there now might not be grunty enough to take it on.

Marshy

Archived