Decisions...

shovelopikis

Heres my situation, need a good cruising yacht to take around NZ for my wife and I.

at the moment its a toss up between these two

28ft sandy jones $3000, or 37ft spencer $14000

28ft >

brought for $10000 + $5000 added electronics

issue: broken prop shaft (he has been quoted $600 to fix?)

1x Main Sail, Fair condition

1x 140% Genoa

1x #3 Jib

1x #4 Jib

1x Navman GPS/Chartplotter, CMap Chip for Auckland to Bay of Islands

1x Multi Display with Speed and Temp/Depth Senders

1x 12 Switch Switch Board

1x Battery Switch Panel

1x Gas Detector

2x Cigarette Plugs

2x Bulkhead Mounted LED Lamps

2x 6v Deep Cell Batteries

1x 12v Start Battery

1X Yanmar YSE8 Inboard Engine and Shaft Drive to 10" Prop, on deck start panel and gear lever

Toilet on board but needs a pump kit

Sleeps 6

------------

37ft>

Inboard Diesel Ford Sea -Panther four cylinder reputed -30hp reconditioned four years ago.

Overall length 11.5mx 2.7 x1.8 draft

Has 3 batteries all isolated running house,engine and windlass.

50 m chain with 25lb Manson anchor.

Fully battened main sail good condition

All head-sails worn, a perfect time to install furller.

Spray dodger,sail cover and squads renewed two years ago.

Easily sailed single handed but can accommodate six persons.

recently anti -fouled and ready for summer sailing,the price asked will reflect that there is work to do on overall appearance.

Mooring can be purchased or rented.

i will probably get an outboard sorted for either one I get,

the 37ftr will really set me back leaving me with no money to play around with, but interested in the 28ft because it may be just big enough,serve its purpose as well as leave enough money for paint/gadgets/mooring/ plus will leave enough in our house deposit savings :)

I also understand the bigger the boat, the bigger the upkeep/costs.

any advice will be very much appreciated :thumbup:

When you say "take around NZ" what do you mean exactly?

There are parts of NZ that would require a good sea boat and skipper, equivalent to offshore, some other coastal cruising not so much. Are you talking weekends and a few weeks in summer or something more substantial?

The costs could surprise you and put the house on hold.

I don't like the sound of either but don't know anything about the 28ft design. At least you would have money to spend on it though and you will need it. 8hp diesel sounds small. Outboard could be a better option. Old spencer ply boat could have issues.

I really think it depends on where you want to go, as other people have said.

You can get seaworthy and strong boats suitable for the entire coast for a reasonable budget. But often they will be older and slower, heavier and more tired than what you may really be looking for. There was a steel hardchine boat, new sails, 36 foot for around 30-40K on trademe a while back which would have been perfect. But that's more than you want to spend.

People take all kinds of boats to all kinds of places. Someone once circumnavigated NZ in a Piedy, but it was a long time ago (ie it was newer back then), and I'm not sure how many of the current Piedy fleet would still be up to a Tasman thrashing (none?).

If I were you I'd be looking in the 28 to 30ft range. But even then, a boat of that size for 15K will more than likely be needing a fair amount of work.

For your budget, don't discount the Townson 28. There are some good examples around, and they are quite a lot of boat for the buck (although I see 65K being asked for one in TGA...)

But I'm still not sure I'd want to rush of down the West coast in one...

A well kept smaller steel Ganley might be suitable for the whole coast but i see nothing in your price range.

There must be a few older tough as old boots glass boats out there?

R

Since posting this thread I think me and my wife a leaning more towards getting the 28ft, doing work on it and selling it for a better vessel, when I say sail around NZ i mean the whole country, up and down every coast line.

which is fine in this boat (with more experience, and upgrades)

but we would upgrade boats before then hopefully with a profit from this 28 footer, for more room and seaworthyness

but in saying that....sailing around/offshore in 20-something foot vessels is not unheard of at all - weather permitting

Get a good ferro cement yacht! Best value for money and on a budget will make your dreams achievable. There's some good double enders out there.

Also Hartley 39's.

For your budget and what you want to do it would be hard to go past the old H28 in my opinion.

Slow yes but roomy for a 28 footer and safe.

Be sure to get a survey no matter what boat you buy, they will never be perfect but at least you will know what you are up against.

Would rather get a smaller boat at least for the B.O.I and get to know it, how it runs, and fix up.

the 37ft one looks great but doing that up will be costly and wont be ready for an around NZ trip for some time...so a smaller boat may be best option for now.

and yes i have an outboard available, its just mounting it would be an issue...rudder is on its arse :crazy:

Don't by the 28' if your plan is to 'make some $$'. Looking at the boat, there is plenty you could spend, but the boat will always have a limited market and hence resale value. It wont have the value of a tracker of an H28 as an example, and you can buy good ones for $15k. In really good condition it would be luck to be worth $10k. You will spend $7k trying to tidy her up.

Always cheaper to buy something in good nick to start with. Rule of thumb - costs twice much and takes twice as long as you budget!

ab1974 is exactly right, boats are never cheap to fix and these days very hard to make money out of. Best to get a good one as you will be stuck with it most likely or lose money when changing - a lot like cars ! Recognised popular designs are always best.

I wonder just how much sailing the two of you have done. That's not a put down - its just that in threads like this you tend to get 2 camps, the yeah go for it, and more conservative.

Sure some have sailed offshore or trans ocean in small craft. A few things you may not have thought of. Most round the world sailing is downwind and in modest winds -they call it the milk run etc. So it is easy sailing. Some have the skills to sail pretty much anything though I doubt they would. Some survive by luck.

In effect around NZ is relatively uncommon, although no doubt many would like to visit say Fiordland. Why because the west coast in particular is exposed with few places for shelter and because the weather is not that predictable at least in the sense that at some point in any voyage it is likely to be foul.

Hence you will see that many experienced people will say it is easier to sail to Tonga or Fiji.

You are unlikely to make a profit doing up a boat. Check out the cost of a new sail, an epirb or offshore flares etc etc. Your loss might be less if you are multi-skilled and have the time and knowledge to do nearly everything. If a steal was really a steal how long would it be on the market?

The site owner is an exceptional example sailing initially a Cav 32 I believe but there are no doubt many others who can give you sound advice. One relevant point is time without income. You eat etc.

My suspicion is, and obviously I may be wrong, is that this sounds like a great idea to you, (and sailing around NZ is) but the practicalities may make it less so.

It wouldn't matter much if you bought the 28' and had a great time sailing locally and then maybe when you learned more you refined your ideas.

However, to say well a not b, or why not c or d or e may miss the point.

I wonder just how much sailing the two of you have done. That's not a put down - its just that in threads like this you tend to get 2 camps, the yeah go for it, and more conservative.

Sure some have sailed offshore or trans ocean in small craft. A few things you may not have thought of. Most round the world sailing is downwind and in modest winds -they call it the milk run etc. So it is easy sailing. Some have the skills to sail pretty much anything though I doubt they would. Some survive by luck.

In effect around NZ is relatively uncommon, although no doubt many would like to visit say Fiordland. Why because the west coast in particular is exposed with few places for shelter and because the weather is not that predictable at least in the sense that at some point in any voyage it is likely to be foul.

Hence you will see that many experienced people will say it is easier to sail to Tonga or Fiji.

You are unlikely to make a profit doing up a boat. Check out the cost of a new sail, an epirb or offshore flares etc etc. Your loss might be less if you are multi-skilled and have the time and knowledge to do nearly everything. If a steal was really a steal how long would it be on the market?

The site owner is an exceptional example sailing initially a Cav 32 I believe but there are no doubt many others who can give you sound advice. One relevant point is time without income. You eat etc.

My suspicion is, and obviously I may be wrong, is that this sounds like a great idea to you, (and sailing around NZ is) but the practicalities may make it less so.

It wouldn't matter much if you bought the 28' and had a great time sailing locally and then maybe when you learned more you refined your ideas.

However, to say well a not b, or why not c or d or e may miss the point.

yes your last point is exactly my position,

sailing NZ is a far off goal, but for now its something used for local sailing etc

and i grew up on the west coast...i know what it has to offer, needless to say sailing the stretch would be the last thing on my list.

but for a vessel thats small/cheap/minimal immediate repairs/good to get around in, it ticks my boxes

Unpc you hit what I was thinking exactly

These guys either know lots or little

There is a reason only 28 people and 14 boats have ever completed a round nz race as apart from hundreds of yachts have raced to the islands

I know that racing is different to cruising but it still tells a story

Just my humble opinion

My advice is don't rush into it, there are hundreds of boats out there, and if you are patient you will get a great boat... often for a lot less than you might expect to pay..An associate purchased a great example ..a thirty foot solid glass boat, built in the late 80's with a 20hp donk...yeah it was a horror show when first viewed but nothing that couldn't be fixed with minimal skills. Now fully refurbished this boat has still cost less than half what one might have expected to have paid .... My advice is to look at glass hull and deck boats.. short list your dream boat then watch what gets listed on Trade Me.

Glass boats in the 28-32ft range are generally simple to fix, easier to sail short handed, cheaper to antifoul, and the gear is smaller and slightly cheaper.

All the best.

Archived