26 replies to this topic

#1 clochmerle

clochmerle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:29 PM

Hi,

Anyone seen a composite gas bottle for sale in nz? seem like a good option for marine, not too expensive, but cannot find anyone here that sells them.

http://www.southerns...bottle-cylinder

#2 island time

island time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,091 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:34 PM

Never yet seen one for sale. I had to throw out a couple bought offshore as they had different fittings to NZ bottles. Shame, they are cool, and you can see the liquid level through the side! :-)

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#3 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:21 PM

Been there sussed those quite recently. Regulation issues with them as in no one has got them OKed by Standards NZ or whomever does it. Quite a large cost in doing that and the number sold wouldn't be large so probably not worth anyone doing it.

Importing one would be your best option. But I'd check to see if anyone here will fill one first as I doubt it will have the right guff stamped/written on it.

#4 island time

island time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,091 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:26 PM

without looking at the particular standards, Ausy and the USA both accept them, and our standards normally mirror theirs?

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#5 1paulg

1paulg

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationAuckland ,NZ

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:55 AM

I have two that came with my boat - they are Aussie . Unfortunately as KM mentioned - no one will fill them here as the manufacturer hasn't bothered to go through the red tape and register them in NZ which is a shame as they are so convenient for the marine environment - they don't rust and you see the liquid levels . I think there is a method of cross filling them from a full bottle however I haven't found it very successful ( maybe my technique isn't quite right - but you lose a bit of the gas) .
I got them filled when I cruised in the Islands where they didn't worry about the certification and really wish I could get them filled here..

#6 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:44 AM

Paul, shortly if you don't have a 9kg steel swappa bottle you're going to be buggered for refills anyway from what I've recently been told.

So I'm sussing refilling my one/s from the big tanks that run our house. I'm told there is 2 ways, one being pressure and the other simply gravity. I'm going to try the gravity method i.e. put small bottle below big one and open the relief valve which then should allow the liquid to flow into the smaller one. If I use the spare big bottle there will be some pressure to help I think. I'm told it can work very well once you have your technique sussed.

I'd rather use someone trained in a place that is set up for this sort of thing but apparently that's now too dangerous so I have little option but to bodgy up something at home. What a weird world we live in.

#7 island time

island time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,091 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:39 AM

The correct method is not to open the bleed valve, but to pump the gas into the bottle under pressure to specified weight of gas. Most wont have the gear for that.

The dodgy way via gravity is to put one bottle up high, and the one to be filled down low. Open both valves, and then the bleed valve in the lower one once the sound stops. When white liquid comes out the bleed valve, its (over) full. That's the common way in 3rd world countries, and it does vent a fair bit of gas. DONT SMOKE!!! :wtf:

#8 island time

island time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,091 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:40 AM

Oh yeah, that will overfill the bottles, and they will then vent if left in the sun or get too hot. Make certain your gas locker IS sealed to the boat, and vents overboard as it should.

#9 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:20 PM

With a little care you could probably measure how much gets decanted. I'll find out soon........... or there maybe a big bang.

#10 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:37 PM

I've seen a big gas bottle go boom, it was like a massive bomb going off. You would not survive.

“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users