23 replies to this topic

#21 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,763 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:16 PM

You can rely on them . It's what decisions do you make based on the data they give you.

Would you attempt a 100m entrance in zero visibility with gps? Gps plus radar? But what do you gain by doing so and what do you risk? Whats wrong with heaving to till dawn anyway?

These are human decisions that too many get wrong.

Just GPS that's one source, GPS and Radar, better, but that's 2 sources. It's night, so eyeball is no good in an unlit entry.

GPS and Radar agree, and fwd scanning sonar all agree with chart? I'd still be reluctant 1st time through there at night. Might try it in calm conditions, if any of those things disagreed at all, no way.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#22 John B

John B

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts
  • LocationAkl

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:41 PM

experiment... shows for me ,Photobucket is working again ( for how long I don't know). I always liked this photo taken when we were hove to off the Kermadecs on my mates 46 ft Davidson.

Usually windy days and high sea states don't really show up that way in photos, but this kind of captures the feel eh.

IMG_9634_14.jpg

#23 prince rupert

prince rupert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 03:41 PM

Thank you for that BP. As you know I have  a cav 32 too so invaluable info!!!!

I will try this as soon as I get a chance. So far I heaved to with the jib on....obviously not in heavy conditions, just too take a break and have some food... or fishing...hahha

cheers!

#24 Sail Rock

Sail Rock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:47 PM

Excellent post BP, thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users