55 replies to this topic

#31 Knot Me... maybe

Knot Me... maybe

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 04:36 PM

Grab a $20-30 little drogue like the fishos use when drift fishing. Hunt for a grunty one, hook that onto a length of whatever string you have in your locker and you'll have not only a way to slow when you fish in deep but you'll also have something to induce nice drag and if it really goes bad you could use it to steer.

#32 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,792 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 05:00 PM

Being able to slow down is good but in what you describe i would have dropped the main. Boat would slow and steer better.
  Two figures sat side by side, staring at the Sea. One said to the other, “You know that one day we will die.” And the other friend replied, “But all of the other days WE WILL LIVE!”

#33 Dtwo

Dtwo

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 06:56 PM

Slight thread drift but I finished my Jordan Series Drogue today.  Final stage was packing it into the launching bag, which clips on at the back of the boat.  I'm happy with how it came out.

Attached File  20190708_123025.jpg   230.58KB   34 downloads

Attached File  20190708_132748.jpg   216.08KB   22 downloads

Attached File  20190708_133134.jpg   183.3KB   19 downloads

Attached File  20190708_134417.jpg   246.39KB   18 downloads

#34 Terry B

Terry B

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 08:13 PM

Thanks BP. 

Thanks to all for the advice.

TERRY

We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police do....................

#35 Chrisc

Chrisc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 986 posts
  • LocationWhangamata

Posted 09 July 2019 - 03:55 AM

Great post BP, but not applicable to my current cruising even though we are sailing from one country to another...

But dare one mention the use of oil bags in this day of environmental concerns? I had a small collapsible plastic Jerry can with a tap at the bottom to which was attached a meter or so of plastic tubing. The Jerry can was stood lashed down in the galley sink with the tube down the plug hole and the oil flow adjusted by the tap.
From experience a very small amount of oil has a marked effect in taking the sting out of the seas. But the trick when heaving to is in keeping your boat in the slick.
Young at heart.
Other parts offered without warranty.

#36 harrytom

harrytom

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,891 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 10 July 2019 - 05:31 PM

Rather than directly down wind try and do a training reach(wind just on the aft quater)travel further but more comfortable and control.End up jybing downwind  but maybe better than trailing a drogue.

The boss said "see you in the morning"didnt know he liked sailing

#37 ex TL systems

ex TL systems

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 06:07 PM

I think you need to have a range of tactics to adapt to the conditions ,crew and sea room. And be able to change tactics as things change. Sailing solo you need to be able to go below and let the boat look after itself. I like the parachute sea anchor after using one overnight in 50 knots but can see the advantage of the drogue when moving forward is easier on the rudders Steering around waves is okay if you are not too tired but once it gets dark it gets hard to see what is coming. For cruising I like to keep it easy on the boat slow down and not break stuff

#38 wal

wal

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 15 July 2019 - 08:08 AM

Slight thread drift but I finished my Jordan Series Drogue today.  Final stage was packing it into the launching bag, which clips on at the back of the boat.  I'm happy with how it came out.

attachicon.gif 20190708_123025.jpg

attachicon.gif 20190708_132748.jpg

attachicon.gif 20190708_133134.jpg

attachicon.gif 20190708_134417.jpg

Awesome sewing job.........

Wal'

The combination of careful conservatism and out-of-control wishful thinking common to the male of the species

#39 TwoSail

TwoSail

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 01:58 AM

I was asked for this in another thread. Flame away.

First this is about cruising, racing is a whole nuther story. And since the majority of long distance cruisers are either couples or short handed that’s what I’ll focus on.

I didnt find anything trollers should use to flame you. Well written. A flexible calender saves lives. I see this in simple passages even in power boats at Xmas from Te Kouma Harbour to Gulf Harbour. Ive known plenty of idiots who have risked their families lives in 50+ and gusting in boats way to small for this kind of work, when the Coast Guards Naiad is struggling, you know GRP power boats should be thinking about cancelling other plans. Rent a car and drive back and come back for the boat another day. Its only a small passage but that area between Colville and Waiheke can really rip up snot. The same with GBI. If going to GBI imo always have a flexible calender. Its that simple.

#40 Rehabilitated

Rehabilitated

Rehabilitated

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Locationon the waters Land and else where

Posted 23 August 2019 - 11:57 AM

A good Weather source for those travelling to the Med via the Panama canal and advice how to avoid and which side of a hurricane or tropical cyclone / tropical storms

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/?epac  

Fiji Niue Tonga

http://www.met.gov.f..._warnings_b.php

Other areas including South Pacific  New Cal and India ocean

https://weather.geek...cal_cyclone.php

©  2013 2014 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

ADVANCING MULTIHULL, MONOHULL SAILOR, ORGANIZER , NAVIGATOR, PREVIOUS SKIPPER

OCEAN COASTAL WATERS COMBINED, CRUISER / RACER ADVANCING MEMBER, WEATHER, SUPPORTING CALLING FOR BANNING THE ELEPHANT TUSK IVORY TRADE.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users