DrWatson

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • LocationLand locked

Posted 26 May 2018 - 12:26 AM

Anyone done it?

Any reason not to? Aside from compulsory survey and annual fees?

No GST/VAT to pay,

Essentially no constraints on ownership if you're from a half way civilised country.

Relatively relaxed regulations for pleasure yachts (from what I can work out).

Red Ensign group registry

White listed...

We're trying to figure out a place to register Christina's yacht for a few years before moving down under.

As far as I can work out, can also keep it Cayman Islands registered even if living in NZ, and after importing the boat to NZ.

"Si Dieu n'existait pas, il faudrait l'inventer"

#2 DanInEurope

DanInEurope

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 01:50 AM

Are you keeping it in EU for any length of time? Could get messy with EU and individual state tax and duty rules. Or will you be tax paid in EU or CH?

A survey sounds like quite a big requirement. Especially for a new boat.

I thought UK, Channel Islands and a few others had even lower requirements if just looking for a registration. UK certainly does but may just be for UK residents.

If you are VAT paid in EU or CH then just flag it where you keep it, it'll save you a load of grief.

#3 ex TL systems

ex TL systems

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 06:44 AM

Trans ocean a German association works and is easy and cheap no surveys needed and you can still fly your own country flag.

#4 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,787 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 07:50 AM

When I looked at CI it was VERY expensive. Targeting tax dodging superyachts I think.
“If we don’t change our direction, we will end up where we are headed.”

#5 DanInEurope

DanInEurope

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 08:01 AM

Trans ocean a German association works and is easy and cheap no surveys needed and you can still fly your own country flag.

Trans ocean is only proof of ownership, it's not a registry as such afaik. Could be wrong though, I'm sure by joining them they would give you all the right answers on national registration requirements.

Why not just register in NZ, are there big fees or surveys now? Or do you intend to keep this registration permanently to avoid the cat 1 leaving issue?

#6 DanInEurope

DanInEurope

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 08:12 AM

Go Dutch

https://www.dutchyachtregistration.com

#7 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,787 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 08:13 AM

The cost in nz has increased dramatically. The issues around cat 1 continue to increase. Both are causing people to investigate alternatives.

#8 DanInEurope

DanInEurope

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 10:46 AM

The cost in nz has increased dramatically. The issues around cat 1 continue to increase. Both are causing people to investigate alternatives.

Looks to be just over 1000 NZD for 5 years, compared to other flags thats not too bad. But, cat one, or more accurately the surveys and fees to certify cat 1 are ridiculous.

Don't some of the Pacific Islands have yacht registries?

Has anyone actually cleared out of NZ in a foreign flagged but NZ owned and domiciled yacht? I'm curious to know if Customs try and treat you as an NZ flagged vessel.

#9 Black Panther

Black Panther

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,787 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 10:58 AM

Yes. Last time I went to Fiji I still had the old Vanuatu reg.

#10 ex TL systems

ex TL systems

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 05:56 PM

I am trans ocean Reg and have enquired with nz customs, plus have talked to other nzers who have left with TO Reg no problems apparently. There are thousands of boats sailing worldwide using it to clear in and out of everywhere. Hopefully I will leave later this year for Fiji, no problem returning asNZ customs records the fact that you left in a nz boat although not NZ registered,and will not try to charge duty etc on returning

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users