29 replies to this topic

#1 nagy592

nagy592

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:29 AM

Expert advise needed to help me decide which tiller pilot I should buy. With endless budget I would go for Raymarine EV-100, unfortunately I have to deal with a few more thing therefore I have to save some coins... However the TP which came with my "new" boat is a crap. Another misfortune I can't let the tiller go even for a very short time which is probably the disadvantage of the spade rudder. In theory I only need to use TP for doing sail changes, I mean reefing or dropping sail. Longer legs I have an Aires wind vane.

As I already had a Raymarine St 2000+ (on my old boat) I know that is very delicate and doesn't take much get water damaged (I "nano coated" my one's circuit board which improved its resistance for water, but..). I was considering to move to Simrad. and here is the next question, what size. Topaz (my boat) is 10 m long (33 foot) and weighs 5.5 t in ready to go condition. Lengthwise TP22 is fine however the weight is slightly over. Should I follow the book and go for the 32, or 22 should be enough? Also which is the best place to buy (pricewise).

#2 native

native

useless around the house

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts
  • LocationThe Shore

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:11 PM

Get the 32, basically you can keep spending on electrical steering gear until you run out of money.  I wouldnt bother rushing it, you may be surprised at what you find out about boat handling as you learn to sail your new beast. Ive got a 32 and I dont really use it that much, sail changes? heave to. Reefing, much the same, just let it all go and get on with it. Perhaps the best use of  TP is long off the wind boards in light to moderate winds, or anchoring (up or down) in tight spots. On the wind when its fresh or downwind in rollers, forget it.

#3 chariot

chariot

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:32 PM

Don't do any solo sailing but the only time i use my TP is when cruising with no wind and motoring.

#4 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 5,843 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:47 PM

If your boat is well balanced, ie not heavy to steer, the TP22 will be fine for that boat. Pm me if you'd like a price. Delivery usually 3-4 days from order.
Do you just want compass heading, or would it be good to have wind vane steering, nav, and way points?

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#5 nagy592

nagy592

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:31 PM

Thanks IT pm on the way, Yes she is very well balanced on its own way, not much force required to steer but that needs to be constant. 

#6 nagy592

nagy592

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:33 PM

Get the 32, basically you can keep spending on electrical steering gear until you run out of money.  I wouldnt bother rushing it, you may be surprised at what you find out about boat handling as you learn to sail your new beast. Ive got a 32 and I dont really use it that much, sail changes? heave to. Reefing, much the same, just let it all go and get on with it. Perhaps the best use of  TP is long off the wind boards in light to moderate winds, or anchoring (up or down) in tight spots. On the wind when its fresh or downwind in rollers, forget it.

I can see your point, in the other hand good to have a TP to go below get a drink from the fridge on hot days.... so I still have a few months before I really need it...

#7 lateral

lateral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Locationauckland

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:40 PM

Gotta admit I love my simrad AP.
Takes the haste out mast/bow work when I have no one to take the helm.
Have to love it, for what it cost.
Will always strive to balance, so it isn't working too hard.
Also the re-foiled rudder is so much more neutral and AOA is way higher before stall. So much to learn...

#8 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:57 PM

Also the re-foiled rudder is so much more neutral and AOA is way higher before stall. So much to learn...

What did you do to your rudder lateral? i.e. what size and foil shape from and to etc

We re-faired our keel to some Naca profile and it really helped upwind work (the re-fairing was preceded by some percussion hydrography...)

I've often looked at our rudder and thought it looks like a barn door, but then figure the boat sails well as is, the designer wasn't a slouch, and every other boat of our era has the same size / style rudder (early 80's kauri log)

#9 lateral

lateral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Locationauckland

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:47 PM

What did you do to your rudder lateral? i.e. what size and foil shape from and to etc

We re-faired our keel to some Naca profile and it really helped upwind work (the re-fairing was preceded by some percussion hydrography...)

WTF is percussion hydrography? Is that when you throw the helmsman overboard?

Should ask my daughter, she would know.

I'll start a new thread as bit of a hyjack. Not that anybody seems to care at crew!

#10 Fish

Fish

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:04 PM

WTF is percussion hydrography? Is that when you throw the helmsman overboard?

It's when you confirm the location of a rock by hitting it with your boat.

Everyone's done it, right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users