• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Above-the-Fold

Above-the-Fold

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 11:16 AM

I have an old Honda 2HP four-stroke that's just about had the biscuit.

Looking around, I see that there are various motors available of about the same size. I think I probably want to go with a used motor, but I was intrigued with an ad on TradeMe for the EARROW. https://www.trademe....fac406a19f9-002

Has anyone had any experience with it?

#2 Kevin McCready

Kevin McCready

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 12:00 PM

If you insist on one producing more greenhouse gases then at least get a 4-stroke, but I'd be going for electric these days.

#3 marinheiro

marinheiro

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationSandspit NZ

Posted 24 November 2019 - 12:26 PM

I have had a very good run with a Suzuki DF2.5 4 stroke, not much more new than the Chinese Yamaha rip off 

https://www.trademe....e8a0ee75b49-003

the only thing to watch on all of these little motors where water cooled, irrespective of brand, is that the cooling passages are very small and are easily blocked if not flushed regularly

#4 Above-the-Fold

Above-the-Fold

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 03:33 PM

If you insist on one producing more greenhouse gases then at least get a 4-stroke, but I'd be going for electric these days.

umm.... the EARROW is a four-stroke. Just sayin'

#5 Above-the-Fold

Above-the-Fold

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 03:35 PM

Difference in price is noticeable. Good point about the cooling system.

I have had a very good run with a Suzuki DF2.5 4 stroke, not much more new than the Chinese Yamaha rip off 

https://www.trademe....e8a0ee75b49-003

the only thing to watch on all of these little motors where water cooled, irrespective of brand, is that the cooling passages are very small and are easily blocked if not flushed regularly

#6 Island Time

Island Time

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 7,082 posts
  • LocationHome from Cruising, Now Gulf Harbour

Posted 24 November 2019 - 03:41 PM

I have an abused Suzuki df2.5 four stroke. Never been flushed, sits outside all the time on the rail. Runs well. Pretty good motor, very clean. Yes, I'd likely buy another if needed.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing, as simply messing about in boats

#7 Frank

Frank

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 03:43 AM

I think the modern hondas are air cooled if you are worried about water cooling. 

#8 wheels

wheels

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,818 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 04:41 AM

2 stroke is the lightest in weight if that is an issue.
2 stroke produces more power for weight.

2 stroke produces no more Greenhouse gasses than 4stroke. Remember that Co2 is the green house gas, not the oil in the exhaust. That is a different pollution issue

Electric, unless you have a specific task.... like silent trolling.... waste of time and money as an outboard.

4 stroke is quieter and smoother running. But all the opposite to the 2 stroke savings.

The Chinese outboards are mostly of two types. A copy of an old generation "name brand" outboard, or a cheap re hash of a cheap 2 stoke air cooled engine (weed eater engines are common) with a plastic outboard looking cowling around them.
Some have proven reliable and others have not. Like all Chinese, it seems to be a lottery as to which one you get.

Personally I would not go for a Cheap Chinese. I bought a little Merc 2Hp for $350. It starts first pull an runs sweet. You don't have to pay a heap for a decent second hand. Go see an outboard guy and see what they have for sale.

#9 Above-the-Fold

Above-the-Fold

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 07:28 AM

" You don't have to pay a heap for a decent second hand. Go see an outboard guy and see what they have for sale."

Thanks. Good advice. I've been looking online at the various motor brokers, but none list used motor stock. Unless I see a bargain on TM, it'll have to wait until I get to Auckland in a few weeks.  Any of the major brands would probably do and there have been a couple of votes for the Suzuki. 

#10 armchairadmiral

armchairadmiral

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • LocationEkatahuna

Posted 25 November 2019 - 08:01 AM

Suzuki Honda Yamaha....been to factory in China where they make Parsun,Sail and one other.All the same with different labels. Uninspiring and I wouldn't buy one .Stay with tried and true. Like all things marine you get what you pay for

The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools.  Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher 1820 - 1903

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users