Solenoid operated gas regulators

Just been away for three weeks and had the gas sensor go off a couple of times.  Checked everything with the soapy water method and every connection was fine.  (not many connections because we only run the stove off the cylinder).  Almost accidentally dripped some of the soap solution on the actual solenoid casing and saw bubbles coming from both the top and bottom of the casing.  Took the regulator off and replaced it with our spare non solenoid operated regulator, carefully tested and everything fine.

I'm bit perturbed by this.  The solenoid operated regulator is only about six months old and the bracket that holds the solenoid is already showing corrosion.  The whole installation is in a weatherproof box.  This is a particular concern because the gas must have been leaking through the solenoid throughout the whole trip.  We turn the gas bottle on at the beginning of the trip and religiously turn the valve off at the stove after use but leave the sensor on at all times while we're away.  In this case, the gas must have been leaking out irrespective of us turning off the solenoid. 

Two questions.  Has anyone else had a similar problem?  And secondly, where can you buy a truly marine grade solenoid operated regulator?  I've googled, but not come up with anything in NZ.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We turn the bottle on in the morning and off at night, have planned to have a remote valve where the pipe enters the boat and be able to operate it manually from inside, still in the planning stages!

Same here but a bit further down the track than you.

My Dad was super anal on gas and that trait seems to be hereditary. So I have no solenoid but I have fitted a manual shut off valve inside.

How do those idea fit with todays Cat 1 gas rules. Years ago, the rule was that you had to be able to shut the tank off at the tank from the Galley position in the event of a fire. When tanks were kicked out of the inside of the boat, that meant you could only achieve that by an electric valve. Has this been revised in the rules?

How do those idea fit with todays Cat 1 gas rules. Years ago, the rule was that you had to be able to shut the tank off at the tank from the Galley position in the event of a fire. When tanks were kicked out of the inside of the boat, that meant you could only achieve that by an electric valve. Has this been revised in the rules?

IIRC you must have a sign in the galley that says "remember, turn of gas at bottle" I never saw anything that said you must have an electronic solenoid?? And I never had an issue with it for Cat 1...