Jump to content
Sailing NZ

Boating now heavily restricted

Recommended Posts

I might be wrong but I very much doubt that a suspected Covid case on Waiheke would result in a CG boat being sent from Auckland. And yes I also understood that to date Waiheke had remained Covid-free so I’m not sure of the basis of marinheiro’s statement?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Aleana said:

I might be wrong but I very much doubt that a suspected Covid case on Waiheke would result in a CG boat being sent from Auckland. And yes I also understood that to date Waiheke had remained Covid-free so I’m not sure of the basis of marinheiro’s statement?

source is a CG crew member. Waiheke is part of Auckland DHB so for isolated cases we are not being told where they come from

CG often undertake patient transfers when Deodar is not available, I understand they are reimbursed for this cost - it is basically a taxi ride. I would speculate that the helicopter is not used because they want to have it available for serious incidents and do not want to run the risk of infection from possible virus patients.

I am told in order to maintain distancing the CG crews did not assist (as they usually do) the ambo's to load/unload the patients - the ambos travelled with the patients in the ambo bay, crews stayed on the bridge.

Read the coastguard release again, it has been carefully written not saying where the patients came from. You can be pretty sure given CG's current mindset they would be shouting from rooftops if they came off boats.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still doubt that up to six cases of Covid were taken from Waiheke unless they were all suspected and consequently negative (there is a local  testing station set up )-  David Bloomfield would have highlighted it and it would be in the Public's best interest to know -particularly the locals . With most positive cases they are quite specific on giving details where they originate - even though the Island is part of ADHB . In an  enclosed environment like a small island it would be essential to inform others so extra precautions could be taken.

The Island is quite proud it has maintained a clean slate so far - the biggest scare being a Policeman who did a talk at the local Primary School and subsequently tested positive - testing was done around those he had contact with on that day and all proved negative (from what we have been told) - he arrived and left on Police provided transport rather than Fullers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s well out of order from CG. They shouldn’t be getting involved in politics, which is what I see this as. They are intentionally misleading people, as you’d easily assume those rescues were off boats, to aid their lockdown / no boating narrative. They should be more like Dr Bloomfield, rather than an MP. Facts, rather than spin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if been discussed re insurance and boat use during 3 & 4, just got this frm my insurer, which is very succinct:

Is your boat covered by insurance, if being used during the Covid-19 Level 3 & 4 Lockdown?
NullB-600-20.png
If you use your boat, having been told by the Government that you shouldn't, then the short answer is "No". It would be regarded as a reckless act and/or wilful misconduct, and your pleasure craft insurance policy contains an exclusion for that.

As per the NZ Government’s instructions around recreation on a Level 3 or 4, here’s details of the Government position: https://covid19.govt.nz/alert-system/alert-level-3/#recreation This clearly states that boating is not allowed.

For a more detailed position on sports and recreation activities including water sports, see: https://sportnz.cwp.govt.nz/assets/Uploads/Play-Recreation-and-Sport-Detailed-Level-1-4-Table.pdf

Please feel free to contact us if you require any further clarification.

And on behalf of all the fish out there - thank you for staying at home!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have sent the following email to Coastguard's communications manager:

Coastguard issued a media release on Tuesday 21 April, which included the following statement:

During the Lockdown period our volunteer crews have been involved in nine emergency responses, including six urgent medical transfers of confirmed and possible Covid-19 patients to hospital 

As a boatie and Coastguard member I would be interested to know the general nature of each of these 9 responses.

In particular in the case of the medical transfers I understand from another source that these were transfers from islands being undertaken on behalf of the police as Deodar is currently out of the water – is this correct?  

Were all 6 medical transfers COVID patients or were some patients with other medical issues?

I will post their reply when received.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, k88 said:

Not sure if been discussed re insurance and boat use during 3 & 4, just got this frm my insurer, which is very succinct:

Is your boat covered by insurance, if being used during the Covid-19 Level 3 & 4 Lockdown?
NullB-600-20.png
If you use your boat, having been told by the Government that you shouldn't, then the short answer is "No". It would be regarded as a reckless act and/or wilful misconduct, and your pleasure craft insurance policy contains an exclusion for that.

As per the NZ Government’s instructions around recreation on a Level 3 or 4, here’s details of the Government position: https://covid19.govt.nz/alert-system/alert-level-3/#recreation This clearly states that boating is not allowed.

For a more detailed position on sports and recreation activities including water sports, see: https://sportnz.cwp.govt.nz/assets/Uploads/Play-Recreation-and-Sport-Detailed-Level-1-4-Table.pdf

Please feel free to contact us if you require any further clarification.

And on behalf of all the fish out there - thank you for staying at home!

 

we obviously have the same broker.

Interesting question for liveaboards. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, marinheiro said:

I have sent the following email to Coastguard's communications manager:

Coastguard issued a media release on Tuesday 21 April, which included the following statement:

During the Lockdown period our volunteer crews have been involved in nine emergency responses, including six urgent medical transfers of confirmed and possible Covid-19 patients to hospital 

As a boatie and Coastguard member I would be interested to know the general nature of each of these 9 responses.

In particular in the case of the medical transfers I understand from another source that these were transfers from islands being undertaken on behalf of the police as Deodar is currently out of the water – is this correct?  

Were all 6 medical transfers COVID patients or were some patients with other medical issues?

I will post their reply when received.

It will be very interesting if you get a reply to that request...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...