Sailing NZ

Boating now heavily restricted

Coastguard, the volunteer firefighters of the gulf.  No disrespect to the solid crew among them but TBH most of them seem to be there for the cosplay and beers given how effing useless they are at towing yachts.  

There are hardly any (comparatively) boats out, and virtually all the ones I saw were behaving responsibly. 

Coastguard are often used when police resources are not available for medical evac from the various islands. They get a fee for this (fair enough). However the police will do it if they can, as the fee comes from their budget.

Personally I treat the coastguard "stats" with a large degree of skepticism.  

38 minutes ago, Fish said:

Sounds like a bad case of PR smoke and mirrors to me.

Personally I'm pissed off, cause that press release made it sound like there were a load of boaties out breaching the lock down, and nine of them got sick requiring emergency assistance and evacuation.

CG need to change their tag line from 'Saving Lives at Sea' to 'Saving lives on Waiheke..'

I hope this type of call out for CG isn’t used as part of their ‘we assisted x number of people last year’ therefore you shouldn’t go boating call. 

Agreed that CG has many flaws as an organisation - their PR machine is unnecessarily aggressive for example - BUT I’d rather they were there than not. And I’ve seen various sides of them from internal Ops to front line service (I was active crew for a few years) through to being a ‘customer’. And overall they are a great outfit of well intentioned operators (if sometimes slightly misguided and overzealous).

And finally I admit I’m biased because when a CG boat turns up in the middle of the night to transfer your seriously ill child to a helicopter for airlift to Starship hospital - it kind of locks in your appreciation and loyalty.

If you’re ever unfortunate enough to need the same kind of assistance you’d probably soften your critical attitudeS towards them too.

and here they say kayaking is out under level 3

Kayaking, like most other water-based activities, is not permitted at alert level 3 or 4 because there is an increased risk of COVID-19 being spread if participants require search and rescue services.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2020/04/i-ve-been-a-dick-dr-lance-o-sullivan-admits-coronavirus-lockdown-breach-hypocrisy.html

which doesn't appear to match some other sources...

definitely a bit of ambiguity in those CG statements - as to their roles in transporting medical emergencies from the Island - as the Island have their own Coastguard volunteer set up and failing Westpac not being available it makes sense to utilise the local CG setup in Matiatia to get any urgent cases to Auck .

2 hours ago, erice said:

and here they say kayaking is out under level 3

Kayaking, like most other water-based activities, is not permitted at alert level 3 or 4 because there is an increased risk of COVID-19 being spread if participants require search and rescue services.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2020/04/i-ve-been-a-dick-dr-lance-o-sullivan-admits-coronavirus-lockdown-breach-hypocrisy.html

which doesn't appear to match some other sources...

The official information still currently advises that kayaking (and windsurfing) is permitted in Level 3.  However as David Abercrombie points out in his update that Deep Purple posted, the gummit is still working on things and that at time he published "It had previously been indicated windsurfing would be allowed but this is probably now not the case due to safety concerns.".  His statement "suggests" he may know more than is letting on especially when he goes on to say "I work very closely with Sport New Zealand and government advisory groups as we look at how sport can return under the various alert levels."  

This Gummit has form in changing its mind on a whim so who knows what will and will not be allowed by Monday.  There is a complete disconnect in logic in not allowing most recreation level sporting activities to continue.

you'd imagine they look at the call out figures 

and a fair few have involved; idiot fishermen, tourists in kayaks, motorboats running out of fuel, and yachts hitting the ground or breaking something....

if it was winter, skiing would be out