Last December we sanded all the antifoul off our sail boat and applied two coats of Utlra 2 from International. We followed the directions in terms of coats etc.  Despite lost of use, love and attention and a full clean down a few months back we are getting a lot of growth, more than Ive seen with other products on other boats we've owned. I generally antifoul every two years. Given performance of the Ultra 2 Im looking at alternatives and would welcome any suggestions.

I have found Hempel Globic NCT to be reasonable, better than Altex No.5 and similar to the original Micron 66 and at a reasonable cost plus less fussy to apply. That is it can be applied over existing antifouls in most cases. Other local yachties have found a similar story.

havent had one of these for a while, the old antifouling thread :) 

Ive got ultra, its great. Wipe it down every month or so and its mint. Application is everything, you need a minimum coating thickness which is hard to get consistent by rolling. Mine is sprayed with airless and packed on. I go 3 years or more on one application that uses about a third more than others use on the same area. One coat per year is the rule, towards the end you have to clean it more. Cruising I would go for an ablative, but the best paint is often what the other locals use in your area, ask around.

I had Hemples ablative on a mooring up the harbour and it grew an awesome crop of weed in a few months from new, you have to clean them and if youre in a high flow area you need to clean them a lot!

• 2 months later...

I use Hemples and agree with the comments above, but has anyone tried Macglide or Flowsilikon from MPSNZ ? these are silicon coatings of some sort.

. We have a small test board in our local estuary and the fouling rate is about the same but it wipes off so easily it is damn near falling off. The coating is tough so when cleaning you are not losing the AF like with ablative.

Anecdotally I hear it is very expensive and must be applied by an approved technician, also like Copper Coat it is good for several years apparently.

Keen to hear of any experiences with it.

Frank

RedLine, a part time racer down here in Tauranga, had FlowSilikon applied 3 years ago I think it was. One of the owners of the boat is the owner of the hardstand, so it always got a waterblast at the beginning of race season, and was looked after pretty well. They've removed it as they've found they cant go fast enough for it to self clean, it used to slime up pretty quickly. I think its got normal old hard antifoul on it now. To be fair, I think if you can dive and wipe your hull every 3 weeks or so, then it'd be a great product, but it wont look after itself....

1 hour ago, Ladyhawk said:

RedLine, a part time racer down here in Tauranga, had FlowSilikon applied 3 years ago I think it was. One of the owners of the boat is the owner of the hardstand, so it always got a waterblast at the beginning of race season, and was looked after pretty well. They've removed it as they've found they cant go fast enough for it to self clean, it used to slime up pretty quickly. I think its got normal old hard antifoul on it now. To be fair, I think if you can dive and wipe your hull every 3 weeks or so, then it'd be a great product, but it wont look after itself....

Thanks, as  I was seriously contemplating that.

So, I went with the MacGlide from MPS.  I was keen to explore options other than conventional antifouling and following a bit of research I decided that I'd give this system a go.  Due to a combination of factors the boat has been sitting on a mooring up the Weiti River for six months now and has got a fairly 'healthy' layer of slime on it.  I have not dived on the boat for a couple of reasons: a) I'm a wuss, and b) I wanted to give the product a decent test of it's claimed performance as a self cleaning film.  Fingers crossed I'll be sailing the boat in two to three weeks time, at which point I'm hoping the investment I've made will see me return to the mooring with a squeaky clean bum.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Dave