vic008

Navman 5500 crook

Turning herself off for say 15m, then after about  another 15m, turning back on. Power supply good and plugged in hard. Everything works good otherwise. Internal battery?

Internal batt wont do that. Itll be power, but possibly internal. How do you know "power is good"? Youd need to be watching it with a meter at the moment of switch off, or logging it continuously to be certain. 

3 hours ago, vic008 said:

Thanks, multimeter says she is getting power.

It does not take much of a voltage drop to make it turn off. A scope will tell you, a multimeter may not. Does the unit stay off while good power seems available? If so, as above, heat could be an issue.

We've got a Navman 5500 sounder / fish finder that is causing issues, the depth jumps from the actual depth to a random shallow number and back, inconsistently but repeatedly. Very alarming seeing a very shallow depth flash up, until you get used to it.

We think the transducer coil has shat itself and need a new transducer. It is 'of an age'. Does that sound like the likely issue for mine, and could it explain Vic's problem, screen stays 'on', just random or no numbers.

Does shutdown coincide with using another appliance on boat eg fridge or water pump? My navman used to shutdown every time I started the engine.

No, overnight it will turn off. Its unresponsive when off, but pull her power supply out,then plug her in again, and she fires up. Strange.

The reason it starts back up again when the power is re supplied is due to a yellow wire (I think it was yellow) being connected to the Red power wire. This bypasses the panel switch so as the unit powers up as soon as an eternal switch/breaker is turned on.
That does not solve the problem of it turning off on it's own though. I imagine there is a cold solder joint internally. To be honest, I doubt it is worth repairing.

Fish, your unit has possibly got fouling on it's surface. The weaker signal bounces off the Keel and it gets a false shallow reading.
Too much AF paint can also do it.

It looks like power supply quality, as IT suggested. Sometimes, when the voltage drops very slowly to a point below the digital electronics logic thresholds, they will lock up. Similarly with a quick dip.

Can you connect it to a known good battery, on its own, and see how it holds up?