Solo Tasman

Island Time

Oh no, the poor young fellas likely to get some soft wobbly wind shortly. What a bummer so close to the end.

If he wasn't a patient chap before surely he will have to be now :lol:

The long lift in his course could be the lighter southerly quarter breeze that looks set to hang around for a few more days. It has been reasonably warm in Brisbane although it gets dark earlier which makes the nights long, and colder. 150 miles to the finish @ a current speed of 2.9 knots. Very testing.

He's certainly getting his money worth out of the Tasman.

It seems that AP really doesn't want to go to Aussie, hard to blame it in a way :)

0.00knots!! Cruel. Reminds me of Coleridge's poem!

Bummer, the Ant doesnt sail well in 0 knots of wind. Hang in there young man, nearly there!

At least he is moving in the right direction again! As said, wind should build now - hope he got enough sleep to make use of it properly when in arrives!

I hear that the ram unit is the problem with the AP? Anyone know for certain?

Krakatoa 11 has sold in Ausy, Rhys looking for a new boat.....

Pity he sold the ST2000+ that I sold with the boat. Had worked flawlessly for 10 years and would have been a good back up. How car to go?

Changed are you over there to sail it back with him?

Oh ok. Well that was knd of you. I dare say we will find out what transpired for him but in the end just finishing will be a stellar achoevement.

The ram unscrewed itself several times including while attempting his 500 mile qualifier.

The unit was taken off the boat for repair or replacement prior to his departure. I expect he will be asking some questions when he gets back.

He also had problems with its positioning, ie. It was shifted fore and aft ( by the experts ) more than once prior to his departure as he had problems getting it to tack the boat.

Just to add to the problem, the gudgeons were completely out of line ( dodgy ) and bound up when he pushed or pulled the helm more than 10 degrees. We fixed that problem and added a full length pin running through both gudgeons. Also built him a complete emergency rudder with cassette which hopefully he hasn't needed.

He has about 100 to go now. Once completed and he has returned to the real world I'm sure we will hear more from this guy in the future. Happy to have been one of his sponsors.

Mark Beauchamp.. Beau Marine.

Archived