Solo Tasman

Island Time

It would be interesting to know what the actual problem was (once he gets in).

The AP's with the "brains" down below and the "muscles" (ram) only in the cockpit are mostly the reliable ones. (AA's one is this type I guess) I fail to understand why most manufacturers still have crappy plastic ends on their rams - alright, it's cost. But it's unsuitable for an offshore yacht IMO. Seen several people have alloy ends made for them - the pins often flog out of the plastic ones over a period.

IMO the complete tillerpilot ones, all one unit are only fine weather/close to home units.

AA down round 3 knots again :( Hard work!!

Maybe the plastics ends are supposed to sacrificial? I've seen one break when someone accidentally stepped on the tiller pilot.

I'm starting to wonder if Cory will have enough food given the current rate of progress :(

Daltons failing position indicator, has there been any reports from other contestants as to his position / condition?

I understand that he still made contact for his sched today and he's fine, just the tracker not working.

If it were just the plastic end then he would have taken the one from his spare TP2000+ and got going again. Apparently can not get power at the plug in the cockpit.

Hi Changed, which one? SPX5 ? Just interested....
Yes that one. This sound like Corys had a good old sh*t happens. Getting power to the 2000 shouldn't be hard, it's only 2 wires but there is a lot of wires in the loom and holes in the plug (to interface with other stuff) so maybe he's confused in what's bound to be a pretty tired state I'd expect.

I'm amazed how little information the clubs involved in running this race are providing.

If it wasn't for YB most of us following this race would have no idea what was happening out there and now that one of the fastest yachts has stopped sending positions we can only guess who is leading the monos.

I guess all boats are still sending their positions, at least daily, to the organisers. Wouldn't it be great if they were putting these up on the news tab on their web site OR am I just not looking in the right place?

Lots of boats showing only a couple of knots on the tracker this morning. Must be patchy weather? Would be frustrating to only be 100m out but be down to 1 or 2 knots

Really close for 2nd on line now, 1nm between them!! Finish won't be until tomorrow though - It's going to be a lottery, winds supposed to drop to under 5 knots. Hard on the sailors, he who can stay awake and onto the actual sailing is likely to take it.....

Nothing I can find. I keep expecting to hear he is in, but at this stage, all three are pretty close together!!

This race has a history of close finishes...

I'm amazed how little information the clubs involved in running this race are providing.

If it wasn't for YB most of us following this race would have no idea what was happening out there and now that one of the fastest yachts has stopped sending positions we can only guess who is leading the monos.

I guess all boats are still sending their positions, at least daily, to the organisers. Wouldn't it be great if they were putting these up on the news tab on their web site OR am I just not looking in the right place?

Yep - Crap although in the evenings facebook has updates but that's about it.

Although is this the finish line ?? http://www.coastalwatch.com/surf-cams-surf-reports/qld/mooloolaba

Archived