Solo Tasman

Island Time

While you are all waiting for the mighty Atom make his run for the finish I would recommend reading "Trial by Tasman". I got my copy today and am half way through it. Absolutely fascinating what some of these guys and girls go through.

Well, in the history of the race, 14 days is not uncommon. The longest time taken was 35 days!!

It's been a pretty steep learning curve for Cory I'd think, and he will have learned a heap about himself and his boat, which can't be bad!

Last night we had the prize giving in Mooloolaba, an enjoyable evening. However the underlying concern for the evening and still today is the safety of Corey. He is finding the race mentally and physically challenging. The lack of a reliable auto pilot is a real problem. We will give him a great welcome when he arrives. The welcome for all boats no matter what time or day of arrival has been fantastic.

After having a husband in the race and being at the finish and start, I think anyone thinking of doing the race should also be at the start and finish, see the boats and talk to the competitors....they like to talk!!! so quite happy to answer questions.

This race needs experience both in life and sailing, off shore experience and help and support on the ground not just through a sponsors chq book. Its not a round the buoys race but in saying that many do it for a second time . The hope is that Corey still wants to go sailing when he gets here safely.

How far does he have to go? I presume that he is in regular contact with race officials and that there is no need for outside assistance?

Last time we had radio scheds twice a day, plus the trackers. I presume its the same this time....

Cory still had a couple of hundred miles to go when i looked this morning. A day and a half?

Calling a sat phone? Yeah $120 for 5 minutes! If he is that close he is on the home stretch and that should lift his spirits. I hope he understands that just finishing is a worthy achievement in itself.

That Sat phone price seemed really high - I just looked up the prices to call sat phs from Telecom;

Satellite network Cost per minute

Inmarsat Aeronautical MESs (numbers beginning with 5) $12.97

Inmarsat other incl. Mini-M, B, M (numbers beginning with 3,6,7) $7.64

Iridium, Globalstar and Thuraya $7.64

Prices include GST. It is way cheaper to call FROM the sat ph, rates from about $1.60 /min, depending on how many minutes you buy.

I had a sat ph. Ditched it because I used the Pactor via HF, USD $200 per year. Sure, you can't make a ph call, but we used emails. So that gave us weather and emails for a year. Easy to spend that amount in a week or two on a sat ph!

Cory had 202 miles to go at 1300 today. Hang in there mate, nearly done! :clap:

Passing on the good news Corey is feeling happier this morning suns out had a sleep making progress. Every one here feeling happier too.

Archived