Solo Tasman

Island Time

Yes he told me about the gudgeons being out of alignment. Was one thing I never touched the entire time I had the boat. I pushed the tiller over and the boat turned.

Beau I know you put alot of time into the Ant for Cory. Alot of people have and it's a testament to what I see in Cory too.

So it hasn't gone well for him this time round, but there will be others and I think we'll hear more from him as time goes by. I hope so.

I dunno AA it looks like he will finish. He was the smallest boat and hasn't the oopen ocean experince. I'd be pretty happy if I was in his place.

hmm, I've never had much luck with worm drive AP's. Hydraulics are the real deal IMO.

Under 100nm now, hopefully in by tomorrow night.....

I dunno AA it looks like he will finish. He was the smallest boat and hasn't the oopen ocean experince. I'd be pretty happy if I was in his place.

I think we're saying the same thing really. Like I said earlier, if I was him I'd be happy that I finished at all. But I know Cory well enough to know that he has high expectations of himself. I hope he can enjoy his success.

Hope he can. Last time Rhys was near the back of the fleet, this time he won! :D

It's not an easy thing to do an extended solo passage, let alone a race , and IMO it's unrealistic to think you can win the first time offshore solo.

Cory has had a huge learning curve, and will come out of this knowing more about himself and the boat, as well as single handing over an extended time.

One of the lessons it took me a while to get was that many/most of the "experts" ashore are not - experts that is!! Most of them are used to dealing with local boats, not Ocean crossing vessels. And much of the gear available is barely capable in sheltered waters,as it is made to a price, for the average user.

My basic rule is that if something breaks, it might be faulty, replace it. If it breaks again, it is not up to the task, and another solution must be found....

I hope Cory can see thru all this, and use it as the learning experience it is, without putting him off long distance sailing.

Gear failure is one thing I think all of us can generally deal with mentally (I've no off-shore experience btw) but being at the back in light flukey winds can nearly make your brain explode.

I've never met Cory but I'd imagine the character that this race is building for the young chap will be undeniable.

If he was a battler before he'll be unstoppable after.

Did any of the yachts have wind vane steering? if not why not? is electric that good? I note that Dalton had to run his engine to keep up with the battery drain. just a curiosity question.

Nope, no wind vanes (this time) but there have been in the past. Electric (preferably electric over hydraulic) has way more versatility. Can steer to wind angle, compass course, or waypoint, or, in the later models, a computerized combination. On Simrad systems this is called Wind-Nav mode. Not sure on the other systems. They can also compensate for wave patterns and are therefore no longer entirely reactive only... Don't need to be reefed in a gale either.

Basically, they can steer better, but they do use electricity - can be quite a lot!

Maybe Dan, but as I understand it, the vane systems (never used one personally) get their power from the water. The wind vane bit basically senses wind dir. Power from the water = drag, so I guess it's unlikely on a race boat?

Yep. Two boats ago we had a wind vane and a little push/pull tillerpilot thingy that connected to the servo on the vane, hardly used any power as the pendulum provided the power, the tillerpilot just the brains. Used in light airs or sloppy water. Soon as the wind picked up we went back top the wind vane.

Finally on the home run, hope customs can clear him during the night.

be nice for the guy to have one break.

Go young fella.

Arriving in the dark if he gets there in 4 hours. They'll guide him in I'm sure. Can we rely on Aussie customs to treat him well?

Go fella go. You should be able to smell Roo pooh by now......it's probably about the only time that would smell good :)

Can we rely on Aussie customs to treat him well?
I'd like to hope so but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Last time it was quick and easy, and the customs guys were waiting for us on the wharf. However, they come up from Brisbane - not sure what will be arranged this late! They did meet us and guide us in, so I hope that will be the same!

Archived