Vickers

ballystick

Surprised you haven't had more replies on this one, Ballystick. The boat looks mint in the photos and the price is very attractive for a boat in that size range. And with lots of recent new kit.

The only things that I can chip in are that as I recall she did a RNI maybe 10 years back, has few - if any - vices and so far as I know, all of her owners have been sorry to farewell her. And Ian Vickers is - yet another - under-rated NZ designer.

Happy shopping. :thumbup:

If you are looking at Valium, you may want to talk to the previous owner. From what I understand he raced her quite competitively as you will see on http://racetrack.org.nz

I'm sure he would be Ok to provide you some unbiased background.

PM me if you want his contact details.

Ian Vickers is definitely a talented designer but he is 1st and foremost a brilliant boatbuilder (most recently and currently for BMWO) and Valium was built by Ian and is very strong well finished. Valium is a good all round performer, very good on some points but is probably weakest in fast running conditions relative to flatter boats like Y11s and even 1050s.

I would buy it myself if I wasn't still in love with Grunty Chicken.

So Grunta, if its not up to the mark flat off like the other 34-36ft performance keelers, where does it get its performance advantage around the race course in order for it to be competitive? On the wind? reaching? or at the bar? Or is it more of a cruiser that happens to keep up because of good crew???

It's awesome upwind and very quick up to hull speed in other directions and conditions. It has a lot of rocker and a round transom so has a low wetted surface but takes a little pushing to plane. It's not slow downwind at all, it has heaps of sail area to ensure that, just not as efficient at blasting as some.

The shape is also forgiving to extra weight so nice and fast cruising too.

Ahhh Valium... probably the only boat i'd even consider doing a trade on... plus cash of course!

They followed me out of Tuts few xmases ago in reasonable breeze on a tight reach... we motor sailed to Vivian Bay and they sailed it effortlessly sitting 2 miles behind us the whole way... I was very jealous

I have a Vickers 7m Sportboat, High n Fibre. Great little boat with no handling vices at all :D

I think Ian also had alot to do with the remodel of Higher Ground which became an absolute Weapon!

Pretty talented guy, one year in the Coastal, he finished inside the top 10 on line (8th I think) on Aces High, a Vickers 8m.

You musk know something when Russel Coutts lets you drive his RC44 while he does tactics!

2002 RNI, Valium broke a boom or something up the Wairarapa Coast. Most of us broke something that night but anyway he finished the leg on a genoa only. Moderate close reaching from Cape Kidnappers to Napier they caught and passed us on Sliver like we were stopped. I was really impressed. The boat is very light.

Should be the same as Sniper.

Col did her nicely getting Ian to do the design and build. At the time Harvey had Kick at BBYC and Valium was designed to beat her but still ensure he got a boat he could cruise for a month in. They used to come up for RNZYS winter series and we saw a bit of them. Fineline and Force 11 had a small edge at the time.

Valium sold for $155K. Missed out again!! So much for "times are hard and money is tight"..... If you don't have cash ready to go, you miss out on good 35 footers!

Hi Ian will be back in Auckland in September if you want to talk to him His talents have spread to i metre radio controlled boats now on his seventh design the VI which is being made in Spain by others for the market

Cheers Dad Vickers

Archived