Vickers

ballystick

No I was looking at a 99, but the deal fell through. I thought I had the Vickers, but someone beat me to it, so still looking. In my opinion the Vickers was a bloody good deal. So what does Jono sail???

No I was looking at a 99, but the deal fell through. I thought I had the Vickers, but someone beat me to it, so still looking. In my opinion the Vickers was a bloody good deal. So what does Jono sail???

Here he is in his boat.

Jono's Boat.jpg

My point exactly Squid. If you want a tidy, fast 35 footer. be prepared to open your wallet wide and be fast about it! I was a day too slow in arranging the finance.. Gutted..

Doesn't sound like Ballystick - the originator of this thread - got there either or we would have heard. It was a very attractive price though.

Keep lookin' team, something tells me we have not seen the last well-priced boat come on to the market.

Hey my boat may be built like a tank but you should have a caravan picture there!

Back to Vickers. I had Supergroove when Ian built Aces High. That was a quick little boat, and is what got him the Valium commission.

sorry for you Smithy as you missed 2/2 good boats. Must be difficult for you from the distance. I looked at Valium a few years ago when it was for sale - very VERY nice I thought.

Ian built Aces High. That was a quick little boat, and is what got him the Valium commission.

I've heard stores of a Canting rig in Aces High as it was pre "Canting keel" days. Any Truth.

Pity she got smashed to pieces in PNG.

Aces High had a few mods along the way. I recall the forestay being adjustable, but can't recall the sidestays.Quite possible though.

After seeing what Ian was doing, we became a lot more agressive about modifying rig tension

I raced on Aces High for 8 years and yes it did have adjustable sidestay tension by way of a purchase system we were able to set up the rig easily to the conditions,this photo was the 1999 coastal and just after we put on some more horsepower on the bow (an old windsurfer mast) we got 8th on line and got 1st on phrf .

post-10575-141887162816.jpg

Yeah Ian is a great guy, sailed with us on Higher Ground for many years and designed the new keel for the boat.

If you want to know who brought it, have a look at the clasifieds and see which 8.5m Ross boat is for sale!

Bit of a step up, SR26, Ross 850 now a Vickers 10.6!

sorry for you Smithy as you missed 2/2 good boats. Must be difficult for you from the distance. I looked at Valium a few years ago when it was for sale - very VERY nice I thought.

Hey AA. I am HOME at the moment and still missed out!

I just about had the finance teed up and then got the email that she was sold. The owner did send out mixed messages that he would wait, was in no hurry etc etc, then ferkin sold her. I am a little bitter and twisted but good on ya Gary whoever you are!! :evil: :evil:

You got a good boat from what I saw.. Loved the carbon kite pole and prod arrangement. Floors needed a clean up and a few minor issues but otherwise very nice.

Did you spot the cracked tiller and stiff helm? (Bearings?). Minor stuff I know..

I raced on Aces High for 8 years and yes it did have adjustable sidestay tension by way of a purchase system we were able to set up the rig easily to the conditions,this photo was the 1999 coastal and just after we put on some more horsepower on the bow (an old windsurfer mast) we got 8th on line and got 1st on phrf .

hay prod have you got any more pics of aces high always liked this boat and never new what happened to it it had that center winch aye?

It shows that there is a major shortage of mid size yachts of more modern design, such as Valium. It was ideal for racing and comfortable cruising - hot and cold water etc yet still fast. The only major fault was a deep draft, not good for sailing around our sand bank infested mud puddle of a harbour. I still couldn't get up to see it due to being overseas and other drama, are there any more similar yachts around?? Further more when I arrived back home my neighbours - yachtie types - had put a for sale sign on my house - THANKS !!!!

Archived