Single handed Coastal Classic

Ok .. I bought a Tracker , I know it's not the bees knees but so what.. Gona kit it up cheap as we can and single hand coastal next year.. Would be good to get at least 2 other single handing woman to do it .. But even a few others .. Even if men..

Then we can maybe ask for a single handed division so I don't have to sail single handed no auto pilot against a full crewed zippy womans boat ;) lol

Come on single handlers !!!

Let's try for a single handing coastal classic division ..

Good idea Sash but an all girl affair is unlikely to get enough entries. I'd love to be proved wrong but I suspect I won't be.

If it's a uni-sex division I'll come out for a play.

..Then we can maybe ask for a single handed division so I don't have to sail single handed no auto pilot against a full crewed zippy womans boat ;) lol....

I think you'll find that you are allowed to use autopilot ... the current Two Handed Division can.

7.5 Two Handed Division

A yacht sailed by two people. In the division, the use of self-steering devices

whether mechanical, electrical or otherwise is permitted.

Have a look at Richmond's Route 66 ThinkHappy (March 2015). Not quite as far as CC but it already has a well supported single handed division.

This!

Had a ball doing it last year and there's a great fleet of single handers

..Then we can maybe ask for a single handed division so I don't have to sail single handed no auto pilot against a full crewed zippy womans boat ;) lol....

I think you'll find that you are allowed to use autopilot ... the current Two Handed Division can.

7.5 Two Handed Division

A yacht sailed by two people. In the division, the use of self-steering devices

whether mechanical, electrical or otherwise is permitted.

if I used a Tiller pilot - i would be excluded from womans :-(

Much as I like single handing, I think any close to shore single handed racing over about 18 hrs duration is too much like hard work. Offshore is Ok, you can sleep.

Was at the helm this year for 19 hours .. not a problem... (2 handed)

Sailing home the next day a bit tough though....

25 hours of no sleep is not extreme - Any long distance ocean sailor usually does not sleep the first day anyhow.. I imagine.. and racing days and days across oceans .. i promise you .. you dont go sleep a few hours!

you snatch cat naps here and there .. otherwise you fixing and trimming and naving .. and days and days of no sleep .. much more hard core and you still have to come in to land at the end when you wrecked and hallucinating from tired ..LOL!

Have a look at Richmond's Route 66 ThinkHappy (March 2015). Not quite as far as CC but it already has a well supported single handed division.

Awesome thanks! I will see how fast we get our little Zem ready..

A bit of work in it but done it before in larger scale so should be cool.. would be fun to try it out to get to know the boat..

Doing it all in a Tracker is a bit of a push .. but hell got to do with what ya got .. :lol:

Much as I like single handing, I think any close to shore single handed racing over about 18 hrs duration is too much like hard work. Offshore is Ok, you can sleep.

Was at the helm this year for 19 hours .. not a problem... (2 handed)

Sailing home the next day a bit tough though....

25 hours of no sleep is not extreme -Not fun either Any long distance ocean sailor usually does not sleep the first day anyhow never been a problem .. I imagine.. and racing days and days across oceans .. i promise you .. you dont go sleep a few hours! Actually a good skipper will make sure the crew is well rested

you snatch cat naps here and there .. otherwise you fixing and trimming and naving .. and days and days of no sleep .. much more hard core and you still have to come in to land at the end when you wrecked and hallucinating from tired Here you are correct - most boats are lost at the end of a voyage - good time to be well rested and alert..LOL!

After an exceptional career and just a few hours after shattering the solo trans-Atlantic and 24 hour records, the trimaran IDEC was wrecked on rocks.

After crossing the line at the Lizard, Francis had headed down the Four channel, passed the Raz de Sein in the evening and then, because he had a morning rendezvous at La Trinité, decided to slow the boat down by reducing canvas and sailing before the wind.

His heading was to leave Penmac'h about 30° to the right, but, because he hadn't slept for a long time, he fell into a deep sleep.

He was on autopilot and thinks it must have gone wrong - like it had a couple of times during the record - but, because he wasn't going fast, there was no change of speed to alert him.

Francis Joyon was woken, suddenly, by a great crash and found himself between two 6 metre rocks.

http://www.bymnews.com/june/idec.html

All true but if every single handed sailor worried about crashing their boat because of tiredness .... Well they would not single hand long distance- Or even short ..

My crew was always well rested .. It was me unable to sleep well for constant attention on the boat- 52 days across South Indian Ocean on a 3 hour on 3 hour "off " ( skipper is never off duty really.. Especially with a 'never sailed before 1 crew member)

140 miles is not exactly a huge distance and after single handing the east coast of South Africa ,unless some crazy unreal weather comes through that the boat can't handle I think it's really not unmanageable doing coastal classic..

And well what's the worst thing? You loose your boat on the rocks..?? If it's your own ? Not exactly extreme .. Just upsetting really-- maybe you die.. Well we all on a pretty fast track there anyhow :shock:

Although would prefer to give the kids a few more years of mum.. :roll: :D

I think that sleep management is a very important part of solo sailing. These days, when boats are often similar, a tired and often cold/wet sailor makes mistakes and has poor decision making. They won't win.

As BP said, in an offshore event, you normally have enough empty ocean to set your electronic warnings and get some sleep. Not so in the coastal. I think that 25-30 hours is the most that average people can do before performance drops off significantly.

IMO the coastal is possible single handed, in relatively safety, but it is about the max possible length for singlehanding close to the coast, and in a fleet. There is an absolute obligation on the skipper to keep his/her boat and others in safe order. If the race is close, and boats are in close proximity, even a coffee break or toilet stop can be difficult. Considerable thought and planning would need to be put in, both by competitors and the organizers for the sailing instructions.

and no, that is not the worst thing. The worst thing is that you cause the death of another competitor, and then, as a consequence, the volunteers running the event are held accountable in the courts. To think it is just you is naive. IMO

Fair enough

- but honestly - how realistic

How many boats do you think will a tracker - traveling at what? Top speed ?? be squeezed in with,at the end of a coastal when one is this tired that they can't manage their 7meter vessel after being awake 24 hours? Even 30 odd

A little perspective ??-.. The killer tracker :lol: and it's skipper that can't sail after being awake 24 hrs.. That slices through a fleet of front runners right at the end of a coastal classic ..

Causing mayhem and murder.. :wtf:

What awesome news for the NZ Herald - although sounds more like something out of a Douglas Adams book to me.

I left BoI over Labour Weekend this year, looks like I'll be doing the same next year.

BTW - interesting that Rob's proa would be safer than the tracker for what is being proposed. Why? the proa would quite probably finish in under 12 hours (hard work but plenty of time for a nap on arrival), the tracker more likely over 24 hrs (skipper functioning poorly and making bad judgements).

Coastal Classic SH is definitely doable (I have done the trip several times but on my own time, not racing- the boat lives in Opua and I sometimes bring it down here), but i agree with IT, at the top end of what is sensible, and to my mind not a lot of fun.