What do you want Crew.org.nz to be

I have no problem with either of those JB , just need to see if Mothership's magic computer will allow it.

Content is an interesting one, I'm a one man band - I love it when someone sends me something or posts good quality material themselves. I'll never have the resources to be a newspaper.

An interesting afterthought - since I went and got a day job and spend way less time fussing over the site, the stats just keep climbing.

Sqidly.

The dinghy sailors. Here is my biased take on attracting them.

I think you should go to some of the junior regattas and interview some of the younger sailors and write several short pieces about their regattas and put them on the front page. Annonce it at the prizegiving that there will be an article on the front page. That will get the young dinghy sailors looking at the site. There is nothing better a young sailor likes than to have some attention put their way. Give them a crew flag when you talk to them.

We at the ASC are a senior club and we don't have a junior fleet. We are getting a lot of interest from some of the olympic fleets like the 49er and 29er to come sailing at our club. We can't quite work out why as we have a very relaxed way of running our club and races. Perhaps this is the attraction. I think it is also more likely that we have run several regattas for them and they haven't been mixed in with the rest of the groups and the entry fees are small compared to other clubs because of regatta sonsorship.

The thing that really helps us as a club to run great regattas for the sailors is sponsors. It is an ongoing battle to get them some descent coverage so they feel they are getting their monies worth. Many media like the telly and herald (If you can ever get their lazy A$$es out from behind their desks) won't mention sponsors. A few years ago I entertained MR Clean from sailing Anarchy and he brought this coverage thing up. He informed me about their policy. He said it was simple sponsors = great regattas = Great stories = hits on website = great stats for their advertisers. So you start at the begining and get great sponsorship coverage and the rest will come naturally hence forth why they alway mention regatta sponsors and link their name to a web page. The last 12's inters cost 30K to run and if it wern't for Barfoot and Thompson and harken it wouldn't have happened.

I will give you a heads up. Ring me October 1 as the ASC will have some great news which will be the best news for yachting in Auckland.

I am sorry I got slightly off topic here but strongly belive that the two problems have the same solution.

An excellent post Send it, with extremely valid points. Yacht racers are like any other racers. They love to read about themselves or see photos of themselves, so yes, I agree, if the yachties know there will be a write up on the race/regatta on Crew, they will come to the site. Loved the bit on sponsorship as well. They DO have to get their coverage, so it can be a win-win situation for sure..

As a new boat owner, this site has been great for me. When it comes to sailing I often find I get the test first and lesson later (assuming I've survived the test). This site has been a great source of education & advice.

My most frequently visited sailing websites are crew.org, WindFinder, and Metservice for tide info & weather verification. So if you are looking to include more info to make the site even more useful, I'd vote for weather, wind, & tide info. Just my $.02.

Good sailing

It might have already been said in the previous few pages of feedback but I'll repeat what I've said before, namely I'd love a 'save' feature for favourite threads, as some other forums allow. Yes I know we have the search function if you ever want to find out the best way to repair leaking cabin windows or ask about the best solar panels etc.... but sometimes the answers vary in helpfulness and when you do find a thread that contains a gem of an answer that absolute nails it, then you'd like to be able to save it for future reference. Or at least I'd like to be able to.

Cos the ability to save a personal reference library of useful threads would be something that increases the stickiness of this forum. Whereas if you tell me that I have to simply use the search function and hope for the best, then I might as well just use Google.

Search in phpBB is below par, too. They really need to put some serious work into it.

You can use the 'Bookmark Topic' button which resides at the top of the 1st page of each thread. These are accessed via the User Control Panel, linked at the top right of each page.

This however doesn't help if threads are pruned. My thoughts on this are having active Moderators for each section who move threads which contain posts of value to a section which is immune to pruning. This way valuable threads are kept, and all the fluff is dispensed with when it gets six months or older.

For those who aren't happy about the pruning, this can be done one of two ways. Either x days since someone last posted to a thread, or x days since someone last viewed a thread. We've been using the latter.

OK, that's cool, the bookm ark function effectively is the favourite function I was asking for - I missed that one!

But do you really need to prune at all? I'm sure I've still got access to favourite threads going back 10yrs on another forum. OK, maybe that's a bit excessive and maybe 3-5yrs would be ample. But given the relatively cheap cost of storage these days (a 1Tb drive costs less than NZD$300!) surely storage costs aren't such an issue any more?

OK, that's cool, the bookm ark function effectively is the favourite function I was asking for - I missed that one!

But do you really need to prune at all? I'm sure I've still got access to favourite threads going back 10yrs on another forum. OK, maybe that's a bit excessive and maybe 3-5yrs would be ample. But given the relatively cheap cost of storage these days (a 1Tb drive costs less than NZD$300!) surely storage costs aren't such an issue any more?

1TB consumer drives we supply to clients for ~$120+gst (even 2TB are no more than $200+gst) - however, we don't use these.

A 300GB 15,000rpm SAS drive is ~$500, and these are usually in RAID configuration, hence configured capacity is less. The effective price is more than doubled however, as our servers have daily client snapshot backups for two weeks, and weekly that go back further, then server snapshots that increase storage requirements again.

That aside, it's not so much about drive space, but the amount of 'fluff' one has to sort through to find the useful stuff, hence my earlier suggestion about active moderators pulling out the useful stuff and collating it in one area.

Further, there are some changes being discussed at present regarding the framework in use, and hopefully this will go ahead, which will give us more options, and flexibility.

Hassle Squid about it :)

Well maybe the simplest solution (apart from archiving everything indefinitely) is to simply allow the auto-pruning to occur but set the cut-off date nice and long e.g. 1000 days since last accessed. That would remove any manual work by active moderators which sounds like hard work.

I think you'd get more content and input if you had an edit and delete button on all posts. Even SA allows you to remove your post or thread if and when a thread goes sour ,and so do the other boards I've been using for a decade. I've posted on threads that have been hijacked by a troll here, ruined by them and I've been left thinking I don't want anything to do with it and should just get out.

Plus you can fix the typos.

Oh, and a link should open in a new window IMO.

Bump.

I've just installed Evernote on both my home puter and the little eeepc aboard. Maybe Crew could use this to store worthwhile technical posts and allow Crewers to access the files. I must say I'm amazed by this programme, it very much simplifies finding stuff on the computer and also makes it very easy to take a screenshot to save. I've put all my user manuals on Evernote and they can be accessed on the phone the yacht puter, home puter.

Something I'd like to see is sailing instruction, seamanship discussion. This is a sailing site but no one talks about handling and setting sails much! That topic would be of great interest to new sailers ,clubbies etc.

Another thing I'd like to see is more use of photos to help describe things. Wordy descriptions just speak to the people who already know. for people not quite so knowledgeable a photo is a gem. Even just a drawing , take a photo and post, makes the brain strain less.

I think more technical stuff on sailing will get more people involved, at least visiting and reading but maybe more.

Lets do a review of local anchorages and store it as a data base.

Really like a Paper Tiger forum, the PT org nz one is dead , there are truckloads of PT sailors out there surely there is a market for a build/race/repair forum?.

a home page that actually works on my computor, that is not jumbled big small overlaided etc....

This is the only site that dosn't work for me

i just dont bother anymore

yes i've tried all the suggestions to a boatbuilders level

works fine on the phone

just a waste a space on the comp

Really like a Paper Tiger forum, the PT org nz one is dead , there are truckloads of PT sailors out there surely there is a market for a build/race/repair forum?.

Which site where you trying.

NZPT site http://www.papertiger.org.nz/

OzziePT site http://aptca.papertigercatamaran.org/

International PT site http://www.papertigercatamaran.org/

The latter has more boat information than the 2 country sites.

Archived