What do you want Crew.org.nz to be

Really like a Paper Tiger forum, the PT org nz one is dead , there are truckloads of PT sailors out there surely there is a market for a build/race/repair forum?.

Which site where you trying.

NZPT site http://www.papertiger.org.nz/

OzziePT site http://aptca.papertigercatamaran.org/

International PT site http://www.papertigercatamaran.org/

The latter has more boat information than the 2 country sites.

Thanks for those, but it confirms that there is only one forum amongst these three sites - this one- http://www.papertigercatamaran.org/ and that forum is really really quiet..would be nice to have a NZ focused one, maybe there is just not the interest in NZ..or anywhere for that matter?.

If you think about it logically and reviewed the numbers who utilize certain forums on this site then it would need a re think.

For example...

e 5.9, Flying Fifteen should be ditched as the few people that use these two forums are mainly using the to advertise regattas and results to a minority of boat owners.

Its surprising that the big classes do not have a forum! Such as Laser, OK, Y88, papertiger, sunburst,... but I guess they have their own comms network?, where E5.9 and FF do not?

When you break it down I think the Crew membership is mainly keel boat, not much dingy, over 35, a lot of cruising, with a strong multi hull presence, white male, with a income of say $60k +, and Auckland dominated.

Also..

clubs have their own Mail list.

Strong classes have a mail list too.

So Crew is niche, and fills the gaps for most sailors that have no other vehicle to get the low down on nautical stuff. Its also mainly Auckland and mainly people who know each other.

The old 80/20 applies here to. You could fit all forums into either small talk and Marine talk and ditch the rest. But having divisions makes info easier to place and find.

A trailer sailor forum would be as busy as the FF or race results forum I suspect.

I think a TY forum would be a complete waste. Of everything. Maybe just open the 5.9 thread up to other designs.

The NZTYA has a forum, and with 7 posts I'm the biggest user. Ever*.

Laser's have a really good global forum, with several past world champ's posting regularly. There are about three kiwi's that post there, so I don't think that would be a huge feature here either.

I think technical sections for novices etc, as suggested earlier, would be a good idea.

Aside from that, I'm quite happy the way it is! :D

i'd like to see a ban button beside the users, then when some clown keeps ruining posts others users can vote. 5 (?) clicks and your out for a month (?)

Such as the one now posting after i guess being banned under another name and ruining the Fiji race forum. :thumbdown:

What do I want Crew.org to be? A site without Jacaranda, Ocean Cruiser and their ilk. They are killing crew.org. This used to be a good busy site. Now it is a wilderness.. All the intelligent posters cannot be bothered with the above tosser who have ruined countless threads..

There ya go!

i'd like to see a ban button beside the users, then when some clown keeps ruining posts others users can vote. 5 (?) clicks and your out for a month (?)

Such as the one now posting after i guess being banned under another name and ruining the Fiji race forum. :thumbdown:

The users here by-and-large aren't mature enough to use such a feature.

Whilst these guys are a pain, every time someone disagreed with the group here, they'd be banned not for valid reasons but because the majority didn't like what they were saying. A true shame given the level of collective knowledge.

What do I want Crew.org to be? A site without Jacaranda, Ocean Cruiser and their ilk. They are killing crew.org. This used to be a good busy site. Now it is a wilderness.. All the intelligent posters cannot be bothered with the above tosser who have ruined countless threads..

There ya go!

A good busy site, with maybe 6-8 frequent posters, tops. 6-8 posters who love to jump on the new guy if they dare disagree. I've seen this not just with those who deserve it, but a lot of others also.

Agreed there is no place for trolling, but by reacting you're giving them exactly what they want. Truly intelligent users would find a way to continue without letting trolls bother them.

There are ongoing discussions about how to increase the numbers of regular posters, mitigate the twits, and improve the signal-to-noise ratio. These are currently on hold while David bobs around the sea for a bit, but fair progress has been made.

That sounds good MS.

I agree that its a shame the way some topics have gone recently, as some people here have a lot of good info. The aggression and lack or basic manners ruins the experience and I'm sure frightens some off.

I'm sure (almost) that these people don't speak like that face to face, so why do they do that here? My advice to them is, if you have some aggression to be relieved, go to the gym, get in the ring, whatever. This is not the place for it.

I'd like crew to be what it sometimes is, a good friendly place to discuss sailing and related topics, with like minded people, and to both give and receive knowledge. Lets make an effort everyone!

I personally have had enough of how this trend has been allowed to go, and have been viewing the site less and less.

I will now always hold back before answering anything technical because of the trends.

why why why why do the moderators let this broken record sh*t go on and on and on and on

IMHO...

The site has changed and for the better.

Before OC, Jacaranda and BTS, there were rude pricks like Pwederell, and a few others dominating the show.

These guys were wrongly supported by their collective mates whom all seem to have dominated the site for years.

That has changed. Others now feel free to comment.

Everybody has opinions and some quite strong. So what ! ... that is the spice of life.

I have noticed a few more new guys are actually being heard. And I credit that to the OC's of this world being allowed a say :thumbup:

BTS has a very strong way of talking and this can be taken the wrong way. But the detail is quite good.

Wheels, is the sites technical go to guy. He to can be forthright but has good balance and reasoning.

Rigger is very reasoned and very thoughtful.

Knot me is great fun with excellent knowledge on all types of stuff.

It takes all types and Mother ship is across this in an good way.

One big issue I have are people who will post to back a friends point of view even though they don't agree. Many do this to get at someone.

We are all adults here and should know how to read through the "typical" forum stuff and pick our fights.

But don't be to precious because you do not like something you read.

FNG, don,t back off because you read something you don't agree with. Either say something, abstain, or post an alternative thread.

Complaining about a thread you don,t agree with is like telling you're mates, your girlfriend is awful, but still dating her for the sex.

You,re either in the whole way or you,re out..IMHO.

Stick and stones... aye

I personally have had enough of how this trend has been allowed to go, and have been viewing the site less and less.

I will now always hold back before answering anything technical because of the trends.

why why why why do the moderators let this broken record sh*t go on and on and on and on

David is away at the moment and he is the one that moderates comments and tries to bring peace about when needed. when he gets back hopefully things changed so you feel free to share your knowledge that has helped so many and been insightful for everyone.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: What he said!

Guest Saturday Night Special

I agree with FNG and Otto those with multiple logon's that have been banned more than once have wrecked this site are derogatory and have driven valued contributors away, these individuals Oc ,Jacarander Summer Breeze and their other sudonims will pleased to know they can have this site all to them selves soon .Hey David how long do you think your sponsors will stay then.

And there is the problem...

A certain faction of people want the site back to the way they had it where they dominate the posts noise and opinion.

And they want to silence anyone that undermines or challenges that.

They want to undermine the chance for new people to add opinion that may differ to their faction or point of view.

Now that the OC,s, Jacaranda, and myself have some space to breath they think its their right to manipulate the moderators by opposing comments that do not fit into their little box.

That is why I have fought a five year battle to challenge that.

That is why I always will until the forum just gets over itself and let's people outside the little Auckland community of friends have a say.

Remember that guy Rocket?... Well he had it right and can hold his head high. There are many other that don't post that fit into his , OC , Jacaranas, and my group

The minute the word troll is dropped from the forum and people with differing ideas and attitudes, outside the "faction of friends", are accepted will be the day i stop posting or re appearing.

Lately this forum has been great. But that is because the like of pwederell have gone and others have backed off.

But the faction want it there way or they throw there toys out of the sand pit.

FYI, having 3 user accounts is against the terms and conditions of the site. Which account would you like to keep?

All forums have a culture created by the active posters and moderators, but ultimately its the moderators who set the rules of engagement and tone because they can control everything. Want things to change for the better, then consistently play the ball not the man and sift out opinion from fact. Ultimately the board owners want a lively place with lotsa hits so they can sell advertising space, thats why they pay the server bills and it costs us nix. Most posters want a place to discuss, learn and contribute without being jumped on if their opinion is different.

+ 1. well said

FYI, having 3 user accounts is against the terms and conditions of the site. Which account would you like to keep?

That doesn't seem to be an issue apparently. I bet if I had multiple accounts I'd get jumped on from a great height, but apparently there's one rule for some and not for others. Multiple accounts is the behaviour of trolls and subversive elements attempting to do something less than honest. If you were straight up and intended to have something positive to contribute why would you need to hide behind multiple accounts?

So .... why is this behaviour tolerated?

Archived