Volvo Penta or Lombardini

So - Have at it boys...

Clean Slate install, assuming its a fresh hull and installing new beds, sail drive and everything - what would you put in and why?

(Having ruled out Yanmar due to cost, Beta and Nanni for other reasons) - If you could have Volvo or Lombardini what would you choose? And what price differential would it take to change your mind either way?

Looking for people's views on either motor, and experiences. - Looking at 3 cylinder 30HP for both motors through a Sail Drive.

I have the pop corn out - go at it team! :-)

Probably depends on use. For local, then probably does not matter. Volvo Penta dealers are very common around the world. Lombardini not so much.

My experience with VP.

I have an old VP2003T. It's got a lot of hours on it, and has had 1 rebuild. It's a 43HP, indicating 9500 hours on the hour meter. That is not exactly right though, as I got this engine 2nd hand, just rebuilt, at 5800 hours. It is smoky, especially when cold, but it always has been. It runs well, but leaks a bit of oil now. It has been less of a problem than the sail drive. It is well maintained, and is now approaching 30 years old. I've had 2 starters on it, replaced the fresh water circ pump, and quite a few raw water impellors, the fuel lift pump too. Generally this model does not have a great reputation, but I've found mine better than expected. Parts don't seem as expensive as they used to be.  Of course, a different model could be completely different!  

I wouldn't go for the Lombardini.They need special tools for everything and don't seem to last.Besides they have an overhead camshaft with a timing belt wich is not a good thing on a boat.

Nanni and Beta are Kubota take offs and good runners. They would be my preference over Anything out of Italy ...... but I am very biased after my Fait experience....Furken timing belts!!!

Yeah thanks guys - Fully aware of the google experts.

Like Island Time we had a good innings from the Volvo Penta 2002 - had an unfortunate incident with it that has meant it met an untimely death - through no fault of its own at all! But now looking to replacement.

Thinking Volvo again, but the Lombardini is 30KG lighter, and almost 4k cheaper... 

Nanni is out of stock for 8 weeks unless we airfreight - and im not missing summer! Beta is not much of a saving compared to the volvo which we can drop in the same beds - so pro's and con's both ways.

We are mechanically minded so either motor would be fine by us - but more looking at what the general feeling of what people think of them around the place so we can factor re-sale and market perception into the equation.

Cheers - Marshy

I don't like Volvo. But green grenade is a little unfair. There are so many around and they give good service. The reason I don't like them is cost of spares. Parts always make ones eyes water.
Lombardini has been around since before WW2. They are a well known engine. Maybe not a "household name" due to the fact they they build small engines as power plants only and these engines go into equipment made by other manufacturers. Like Gensets, pumps, and so on. But they are reliable and common. They are now owned by Kohler.

Wheels, you are right about Green Grenade perhaps being unfair (it certainly applied to alot of the 2003T engines), but I did say "perception"

The D2 series Volvos are all supplied by the Perkins/Shibaura JV, Perkins being owned by Caterpillar.

That Green paint sure must be expensive..

Yanmar had huge problems with their SD40 saildrives, well documented by many owners overseas & here.

Their refusal to stand by them or do anything about it, other than sell owners a new improved SD60 version has left a bad taste for me.

The engines are great, but they have shown their reluctance to stand by their product if it does have a problem.   

Personally, I'd buy a Volvo with sail-drive.

I've got a Volvo MD3020, or is that 2030? (its the 3 cyl, 30hp) with a S120 saildrive and its a great wee donk. Ive had two major issues with mine and both were caused by operator neglect so I cant blame the engine.

My biggest gripe in the early stages of ownership (and during the rebuild) was the cost of parts, however once I found an overseas OEM supplier I can now get parts delivered to my door in 5 days at 30% the local cost, hence my gripe has gone away.

This little 30hp with a folding two blader on the saildrive has pushed my 42fter up the harbour into a 35knts no trouble all. Oh, and it only gobbles  2-2.5 litres an hour at 7 knots while driving a 30amp and 120amp alternator.

Love my little green monster.

Look at what the base engines are. Kubota engines are superb engines, and as long as the marinization is done well the brand comes somewhat second. Kubota parts are available via CB norwood's except for marine specific parts. 

I would choose more based on the dealer - if you know the dealer will stand behind the product, that is worth more than a few thousand. Of course, being able to drop a motor straight in is not a bad idea either...