crusing northland

Looking at that photo of Erice's confirms what I've been thinking lately myself... Have you guys noticed just how clear the water in westhaven is at the moment.

I don't know if its a seasonal thing or not, or if the Marine biologist I was talking to has a big point..... he said ,all fan worm does is clean up the water.

Wouldn't that be funny, "new method discovered for keeping fouling off boats, surround them with a frame covered in a special species of underwater growth"

But yes , its frustrating isn't it. clean your boats!

no don't use that stuff that works!

clean them!, no you can't go on a grid because we've taken them off you!

clean your boats! NO YOU CAN'T HAVE A DIVER DO IT BECAUSE HE MIGHT GET WET!

a bit like my other current rant about draconian security measures at Westhaven too.

community this, community that, we have a community and we should look after each other and interact with each other.

NO YOU CAN'T VISIT YOUR MATES BOATS , YOU'RE IN LOCKDOWN IN YOUR OWN CELL BLOCK PIER. STAY THERE!

possibly this

CLEAN BOATS – LIVING SEAS
Protect our waters from harmful marine pests. A boatie’s guide to marine biosecurity.

http://www.mpi.govt.nz/document-vault/3688

Had a read and if MPI  want to stop pest then they need to real,allow anti fouls that work, Stop ship/yachts etc from overseas till hull inspected,these organisms have arrived from overseas,ships illeagly dumping bilge water near coast,yep suppose to do outside the 200 mile zone,really?how do you police it?as someone said the pacific oyster only arrived here when they built the clipons on the bridge.

we get the odd container at work as we a registered transfer facility and the last pest we got rang mpi give it a spray and we will come and see,between opening the doors and spraying buggered if i know how many bugs escaped. 

Some years ago we had a load of Balau decking delivered from Placemakers, before we used it we noticed some fresh saw dust under the stack. Contacted local MAF man who was very concerned, he contacted the guys further up the chain to come and have a look, 2 weeks later 2 guys showed up, had a cursory look at the stack. we showed them a grub that we had extracted from a plank. They shrugged their shoulders had a cup of coffee and left, Their only suggestion was to return the wood to placemakers, which we did, was the wood destroyed? I doubt it. Placemakers gave us a replacement lot of Kwilla instead, without the borer. The borer holes were larger than anything we had seen locally. Were they concerned, apparently not.

3 years ago I bought a floating reef from Northcote/shoal bay and moved it to a mooring in Okahu Bay.  When I first hauled out at The Landing/Okahu Bay - covered in Fans (and coral, and sucker fish, and a forest and muscles etc, etc)

Maybe due to regular haulouts/cleans there after, I only really found scum, muscles, weed and those annoying little krill creatures.