Health and Safety in the Marina

Interesting today, we were "indoctrinated". The guy in charge of the Marina had to take us through a briefing of all the hazards around and in the Marina, as part of their Health and Safety requirements. They have display boards with Hazards written on as well.

Actually that reminds me. At the Hobsonville landing, due to Health and Safety requirements, they have had to fence off all the edge of the Landing area and put gates across the Ramp, so as Kids cannot get into the water. :roll: 
Is it all getting just a tad silly???

that reminds me, I need to tell the guy about a Hazard. I have sliced the back of two fingers on the edges of the SST bolts which are bolting down the Bollards on the dock. they have been sliced through with an angle grinder and they are a little too long still and have deadly sharp edges. When you wrap the line around the Bollards, the bolts get in the way

I do realise what you are saying Kevin, but there is Work Place Safety and then there is just stupid over the top sillyness.
For instance, you can walk around the walk way at the end of the Hobsonville landing area and on around the beaches, which are nothing more than waste deep mud under the water. None of it fenced off. People walked their Dogs down to the water on the Ramp, so the Dogs can swim and you can stand very safely upto your knees if you wish, in water. Now you can't.
The marina here in Gisborn has Hazard warnings. The Hazards have not been "mitigated" as they say. The Hazards have been there for years and the Council are still working on a plan. In otherwords it's going to be expensive and better to delay by saying they are working on a plan. One of the Hazards being, don't hold the hand rail on the board walk along the Sea Wall down to the Jetties. It may not support you. :roll: Isn't the hand rail there for support and safety? I bet that if the Council didn't own the place, the owner would be made to sort it ASAP.

Lets fence all our waterways, cliffs, docks also railways, roads and driveways. Isolate all hazards.

Better fence of your property with massive high walls that will eliminate hazards. Don't forget to fence your own driveway where a lot of accidents happen.

Supervise and teach our kids to be safe, minimise hazards and let kids live.

Freedom GBE. A safety culture doesn't mean fencing and mitigating as you suggest. It means ID'ing the risks. As you indicate at the end, and I agree, kids should climb trees and push the boundaries. Kids shouldn't play on the edge of dangerous crumbling cliffs unless they're roped on.

At risk of a little drift, but following the general point of the thread...

I agree, kids should climb trees and push the boundaries. Kids shouldn't play on the edge of dangerous crumbling cliffs unless they're roped on.

The problem then goes over to the whole parental thingy. 

By that, I mean that we (normal people like most Crew users) would try to teach our children basics like right and wrong, safe and dangerous, black and white... All the usual things. 

We would teach our kids the risks of falling from trees, jumping on a trampoline, swimming in the sea etc and supervise where needed. We would also try to be aware of where they were, and keep them away from crazy-high risks, like the aforementioned cliff-top with crumbling edges, or playing on the road.

Some parents don't.

In my new job running a council pool facility (I started last week) I am largely responsible for the safety of the users. It's been a big eye opener, I really hadn't realised how dumb some people can be. I can understand with some of the younger kids, but some of the parents? Seriously, I wonder what those parent's parents were up to! 

I remember the days when the rules for a Pool were. 
Don't run, it's slippery.
Don't Pee in the Pool!
If worst that could happen from your own stupidity was skinned knees and bruises. Then they made others liable for your stupidity and the result is that Pools that used to be dotted around every community and gave us as Kids hrs of wonderful enjoyment, are now all gone.
Back to the Marina and Health and Safety. When has anyone been hurt in a Marina due to "hazards"???? I have only heard of drownings due to drunk people falling in. Their fault and stupidity. With the Marina here, putting a sign up does not fix the Hazard. Putting a fence around an area and then being able to walk 50m and walk into the tide kind of speaks of stupidity to me. In the end, it is costly and the cost is coming from the pockets of you and me.

wheels. Why do you refuse to face facts? My own mum in law lost a mouthful of teeth due to an accident at a pool which was totally not her fault. She's lucky to be alive. Perhaps you don't like pool fences on suburban pools? You'd rather see dead kids on the flawed understanding that their parents deserve it because they are stupid???? That's insulting and, to say the least, insensitive. On your logic that people deserve what they get because they are stupid we wouldn't have a Coastguard either. Is that what you really think?

The sign is not meant to FIX the hazard, it's meant to warn.

Interesting, and I can appreciate both sides of the argument. Personally, I detest all this health and safety nonsense.

Two points.

Years ago I helped design a pneumatically operated multilift spreader for loading 20kt lifts of pulp into my company's ships. Prior to, pulp was loaded 4kt at a time on manual spreader bars. With the finalised plans I went to OSH for their input regarding operational safety. Their interest in the concept was about 100% less than zero, their only input being to let me know of all the various fines I would face if my new bit of gear injured anyone. OSH is not interested in improving health and safety, only in finding someone to blame when things go wrong, that much was clear.

Secondly, recently wife and I completed a couple of thousand kilometres of cycle touring thru France, during which we did a bit of the tourist thing as well. What I found refreshing was the absence of all the signage, Take care, Caution, Slippery when wet, Dangerous hazard, etc etc. I asked a Frenchman with whom we spent a little cycling with about this and he responded with the classic gaullic shrug and said 'in France, people take care for themselves.'

It would be interesting to know if their injury per head of population is any greater than ours.

my 2c: having moved from the US to NZ, NZ seems much more relaxed about h&s. for example, we went on the driving creek railway out in coro some time back, and most of the ride I couldn't help but wonder that it would definitely not be allowed in the states.

The sign is not meant to FIX the hazard, it's meant to warn.

Which now reminds me of something.  My 3yo managd to bang his head on a newly installed sign on a track next to our place.  Perhaps we need another sign to warn 3yo's not to walk into . . . never mind.  The irony is that the sign has been installed on a track that the council has seen fit to 'permanently close' (what ever that means on a coastal stretch) because they can't be arsed maintaining and repairing it. 

So I guess I'm suggesting a hazard warning sign, warning of the hazard warning sign hazard beyond another hazard warning sign?

Khayyam, your opinion that the USA is more health and safety concious- do you think this is due to protecting the well being of the populace, or because Americans are rather keen on sueing one another and warnings on packaging and signage is a way to mitigate this?

Khayyam, your opinion that the USA is more health and safety concious- do you think this is due to protecting the well being of the populace, or because Americans are rather keen on sueing one another and warnings on packaging and signage is a way to mitigate this?

it's not just warnings and signage, but the actual things that are allowed. for example, kids playgrounds no longer have any of the good stuff -- everything is rubberized, slow, and low to the ground.

whether this comes about from genuine concern, or fear of being sued... some of each, I imagine.

Ha.

Just received a club newsletter..........

B....... W........has done great work on our Health and Safety

documents and you will soon notice extra signage around the club grounds
and fine tuning of our rescue boat procedure and gantry usage