Apparently the motor has B.M.S Commodore on the side, anyone ever heard of that?
Has been repainted blue, so not the original colour.
The boat went into the shed 25 years ago so I'm assuming the engine is of that era.

Another photo of said motor.

Also, apparently the boat is actually made from macrocarpa. What is the chances of that? I understand kahikatea was used when kauri became unavailable, aka white pine. But macrocarpa? it makes great firewood...20160507_145906.jpg

Macrocarpa is fine, but normally used as planking as a core of a timber composite. In my admittedly limited timber construction experience.

My brother has a boat double diagonal Macrocarpa, then 3mm ply each side, then glass. Very strong!

probably 

a BMC commodore

This information came from a man who worked at Newage Marine, later to become Tempest Diesels, in Stamford Lincs. They converted various BMC engines for marine use. These were:
BMC 1100 petrol engines (Vedette I think they were called) 
1500 B series diesels (Captain) 
2.2 BMC diesels (Commodore) 
2.4 diesel (Commander)
3.0 litre BMC C (six cyl petrol called Sea Prince very rare).
Read more at http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?376156-BMC-Captain-and-commodore-engines#jbWptv9XeCExtaMO.99

$_1.JPG

$_1.JPG

Macrocapa is an awesome wood except I'm allergic to it (the saw dust makes me a weeping, sneezing mess)

I replaced some of the Frames in my old Spencer with some seasoned (40yo) Macro.  Probably the most solid bit of the entire boat including the engine.  You couldn't hammer nails into the stuff.