unitary plan

appears the new unitary plan looks to kick the okahu bay moorings round into hobson bay

gallery_1988_37_19840.jpg

pity, i've got a great sheltered position just off the float dock

now will end up somewhere in far more exposed hobson bay with much worse access for dinghy launching

not well informed about other mooring areas but they appear to have not changed

https://unitaryplanmaps.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/UPRecommendation/ 

Excellent news, the lobbying has paid off and we'll be rid of those pesky moored boats that were a H&S accident waiting to happen.

Its now a clear run from the ASC launch ramp to the piles without playing dodgems.

• Downvote 1

Shot me, shouldn't this be in Small talk?

If I wanted to read about the Unitary Plan I Would have gone to an urban planners forum.

Anyone been sailing lately?

• Upvote 2

If you have a mooring in Okahu Bay -you should be aware that Akarana proposed before the Marina was built to agree to remove all swing moorings from the bay and have them repositioned elsewhere in the harbour. At that time (the late eighties) there was still great demand for swing moorings in the harbour, and to his credit the Harbour Master - James Mcpetrie stood up and spoke against this as impractical. 

The fact that Akarana was putting this forward as a sop to the Tangata Whenua without consulting the mooring holders was amazing enough-most not being members anyway. Obviously this has come up again, I have the original minutes from when this was proposed by Bob Blakey even  though this 750 berth marina proposal ultimately failed and has nothing to do with the current marina that succeeded later on.

• Upvote 1

Excellent news, the lobbying has paid off and we'll be rid of those pesky moored boats that were a H&S accident waiting to happen.

Its now a clear run from the ASC launch ramp to the piles without playing dodgems.

Don't worry mate, anyone zooming uncontrollably through the bay will  be next...........

Hi All, I've not logged on to comment on a subject for more than three years, but the potential loss of moorings in Okahu Bay is close to my heart as I've been moored in the bay for the last 35years.

I'm keen to put together a user group objection and would invite interested or affected parties to contact me at vahry@xtra.co.nz. Our window of opportunity is extremely limited so do it now. Cheers Paul Vahr

email sent

Hi All, I've not logged on to comment on a subject for more than three years, but the potential loss of moorings in Okahu Bay is close to my heart as I've been moored in the bay for the last 35years.
I'm keen to put together a user group objection and would invite interested or affected parties to contact me at vahry@xtra.co.nz. Our window of opportunity is extremely limited so do it now. Cheers Paul Vahr

Not sure that I'm fully understanding the concern here... if a new breakwater was constructed would the area still be unsatisfactory? A new dinghy launching facility? I haven't seen the full recommendation (erice, your link doesn't work), but people seem to be assuming that the plan is just to move boats. Are you certain that's the case?

when i tried to register my new boat on my old boat's mooring

the harbour master wouldn't let me as the "unitary plan may force you all round to hobson bay"

"how, when, why?" i asked 

"they haven't said", he said

the plan seems to be to force the whole wish-list through in 1 hit

then work out the details later...

a new breakwater would be great

as would a dock i could dolly my dinghy down without going through a security gate and a 90 degree bend

but i can't see them providing any new facilities without user paying us through the nose

maybe if they said they wouldn't 

i wouldn't be so cynical

but i doubt they've yet to bother thinking much about it 

certainly haven't bothered to put anything in the letter they send every year asking for the mooring fee

maybe that comes later?

or maybe it's too late?

guessing if i go down and ask the HM

he won't know either