Electric Start Outboard Engines - what battery?

I am removing my inboard engine soon and swapping over to outboard motor on my 26 foot yacht, and I am just about set on on either a Tohatsu 9.8hp four-stroke, or a Yamaha T9.9 Hi-thrust,

The Yamaha Hi-thrust comes only with electric start. 

Never having owned or used an electric start outboard I have a few questions:

1) Does it needs its own 'starter' battery? And if so, is starting it up and motoring in and out of a marina or mooring enough to recharge it for next, or does it need to be wired into the house system to keep it topped up, especially when you don't happened to use the outboard for a while.

2) Can you do away with the 'starter' battery, and just wire it all in to your deep cycle house system -(house system will be topped up via solar, with all necessary regulators / charge controllers etc).

wouldn't think it needs it's own battery

but it should have one the safety

it could also act as a back up for the house system

i'd fit one and it would need to be kept topped up by solar

doesn't have to be big or expensive

$100 from the warehouse probably enough 

For an outboard that size i would have thought it could start off the house battery if it has decent capacity. Its not a huge load to start it.

Rather than the complexity of a second battery i would run with it off the house battery and keep a charged up "Jump Starter" on the boat you can kick it with if needed - far simpler for the few times you need it. And if your going to put in another battery why not just make the house bank big enough that you wont run it too flat for the small amount needed to start the little outboard motor...

And when cruising a boat that doesnt have massive charge capacity from the engine your alot more careful how much you run the house batteries down anyhow.

I take it there is no way to manual start the T9.9 if the battery is flat?

you can pull start the yamahas by removing covers and winding a cord on the flywheel, a seperate start battery could be a motorbike size, but I would wire it with the house as it will provide 6 or more amps when motoring.  The Yamaha has always been the favorite for pushing a bigger boat, hold their value well, I have had 80,s models that have still been reliable and smooth runners.

My 9.9 HT Yammy was decades old yet still pushed the 930 into everything I've encountered at at least 5 knots, even stuff that had boats beside us struggling to do 2 or 3. A 26fter will probably get close to planing with one :)

I'd go buy a 15ah +/- odd sealed AGM battery from Jaycar or somewhere, they are small, being sealed means it can be tucked away with out having to worry about getting at it to maintain it and it'll be light. I would keep the starting and house batteries separate.

Mine 9.9 was a manual start and started easily 99% of the time so I don't see huge battery sucking to start one. My 1070cc 4 cylinder motorsickle only has a 14ah battery, my Spuzuki DR200 only a 8ah, the Rooter400 a 12ah, none have manual start, to give you some comparisons.

Don't ask me about the lectrics/charging, I'd end up frying you or the boat somehow.

Yeah, me too Grant.  I'll be getting a certified marine electrician to wire up my boat.

Otherwise....

E-Funny.JPG

My 9.9 HT Yammy was decades old yet still pushed the 930 into everything I've encountered at at least 5 knots, even stuff that had boats beside us struggling to do 2 or 3. A 26fter will probably get close to planing with one :)

Actually, a quick search (if sailboat data is to be believed) shows your R930 actually is less displacement than my 26 footer by around 500lbs.

Yes the 9.9 is probably overkill, but it should get me home for work on Monday if I have to punch into some nasty sh*t.  If I were cruising full time I'd consider a 6 hp with hi-thrust prop, and enjoy the lighter weight, and put up with the less power and less smooth single cylinder rat-atat-tat.

I have a 6 hp Nissan four stroke (same or nearly so as the Tohatsu) on my 26 foot,

4400 (US) pound boat - it's plenty of power. Weight is 65 US pounds. 

I keep it simple - hand start, and no controls in the cockpit (but I have long arms!! Heh) 

I'd say get the EXTRA LONG SHAFT - works much better in any sort of seaway. 

Yam do make a manual start 9.9 hi thrust, I had one on a previous boat. They just don't bring them in to NZ unless you place a special order and then wait for their next shipment, unless you want to pay the airfreight.

Ah, interesting.  The Yam dealer said not only can they not get a manual start off the shelf here in NZ (which I would prefer) but they would have to get the parts in to make it a tiller control rather than remote.  The non-hi thrust in 9.9 with standard gear reduction has both manual and tiller, but the only option in NZ for hi-thrust model is electric start and remote if you buy off the shelf.

So, maybe this is the way to go, get a special order done and get the hi-thrust with manual start & tiller and save all the effing around with batteries and parts for a tiller conversion.

Thanks for the tip VP.

Yam do make a manual start 9.9 hi thrust, I had one on a previous boat. They just don't bring them in to NZ unless you place a special order and then wait for their next shipment, unless you want to pay the airfreight.

And to prove you are 100% correct VP, here is 9.9, hi-thrust, manual start with tiller http://www.bhg-marine.co.uk/yamaha-ft99lmhx-99hp-high-thrust-extra-long-shaft-outboard-446-p.asp  but, in the UK

NZ always seems to have less choice of everything huh.

or

stay with the 14hp beta diesel already in there :twisted:

wondered myself as to why pull the motor out?not a fan of have a outboard hanging off the stern,looked at it myself but tote tank or underfloor tank,petrol and lpg gas onboard recipe for disaster imo,. figured my yacht was designed/built with a inboard,so moving weight to transom may cause to squat where she does not need to squat.

In close quarters, it's mighty handy to be able to turn the boat with BOTH the tiller and pivoting motor. 

Lots of boats you can turn within their own length. 

And if my rudder falls off the boat (happens really more than you think), I can still steer 

with the motor. 

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ourroadtorio.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2011%2F12%2FBroken-Rudder.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.serebiiforums.com%2Farchive%2Findex.php%2Ft-604347-p-19.html&docid=Q1kwejUUqpTtoM&tbnid=8mZwFIYtTMFJnM%3A&w=960&h=720&bih=770&biw=1600&ved=0ahUKEwj3u9yt18vPAhVDwj4KHYBsB_EQMwgeKAAwAA&iact=mrc&uact=8

In close quarters, it's mighty handy to be able to turn the boat with BOTH the tiller and pivoting motor. 

Lots of boats you can turn within their own length. 

And if my rudder falls off the boat (happens really more than you think), I can still steer 

with the motor. 

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ourroadtorio.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2011%2F12%2FBroken-Rudder.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.serebiiforums.com%2Farchive%2Findex.php%2Ft-604347-p-19.html&docid=Q1kwejUUqpTtoM&tbnid=8mZwFIYtTMFJnM%3A&w=960&h=720&bih=770&biw=1600&ved=0ahUKEwj3u9yt18vPAhVDwj4KHYBsB_EQMwgeKAAwAA&iact=mrc&uact=8

My boat is a full keel, with barn door rudder off the transom. so yes, hopefully the outboard tiller will help with close quarters manoeuvring in marinas and the like

The master Yammy dealer wasn't at all helpful when I wanted to replace my 9.9HT with another manual. Just said no and that was that.

I can report that the UK dealer will sell me the manual 9.9 HT with tiller and ship it direct to me - as long as I pay the freight of course.

I've just put a Honda 20 hp on my 10m cat. It is about the same weight and cost as a Yamaha high thrust, but has a 12 A charger. I've always started and run by outboards (for the last 15 years on Pulse) from the deep cycle house bank with no problems. It means you get to use the charge from the motor to the batteries all the time. Note the Honda has a pull start as well as electric. Very nice engine at 46 kg dry.