Do cat one inspections do any good?

KM there poses another question,"skipper is responsible"?fair enough. But how does ynz/mnz etc know what my capabilities are?I may never of sailed or even been on a vessel till last week ,until I brought this vessel. So begs the question if I have no experience and the powers to say no too giving me CAT1 due to lack of experience. Would it not ended up in court  under human rights?

KM there poses another question,"skipper is responsible"?fair enough. But how does ynz/mnz etc know what my capabilities are?I may never of sailed or even been on a vessel till last week ,until I brought this vessel. So begs the question if I have no experience and the powers to say no too giving me CAT1 due to lack of experience. Would it not ended up in court  under human rights?

When you get inspected the Inspector will be sussing you. They drop the odd question here, make the odd comment there and they can gauge pretty well whether you are a moron or do have some knowledge. They will ask more questions if they feel the need and I think the Regs do state you can be asked to demonstrate your skills, especially in regards to Nav. All the Inspectors I know aren't bunnies and would be able to get a good gut feel of whom they are inspecting quite easily. Having asked many how they found their Inspection most don't get quizzed too much but a few have said they got asked some deep questions 'as if they were trying to see if I was a dickhead or not'  Ahhh yes that's exactly what they are doing. Of all I've asked the more experienced the person was the less they felt they were being sussed. A few got near the 3rd degree and quite fankly they all deserved it as they were all 1st timers so a little twitchy and the Inspectors picked up on that.

What happens when you get knocked back?? Good question but I doubt you'd get far with the Human Rights Comm as who is going to back the dickhead wanting to set out into the deep blue, not many I'd suggest. It would depend on how much you wanted to push back. But any push back would be meet with a mountain of highly taxpayer funded lawyers trying to shut you down so you'd probably be f*ck purely by not being able to afford to fight back. MNZ has shown it is more than happy to spend many millions trying to win the un-winnable.

Besides the Regs are that old they probably pre-date all the human rights PC wankery and simply haven't been updated to suit. Some of the Regs are working on very old and outdated knowledge and gear i.e. old school and out of date.

• Upvote 2

That will teach you for reading the Herald... complete waste of time.

Quoting un-named officials who don't want to be named, who give 'estimates' that are no more than a wild guess.

Then 1/4 mil for a 'survival pack', consisting of a 10 man liferaft, and what else? I want the contract supplying those lifrerafts... what a joke. Not considering that there wasn't a problem with the yacht floating, just the injuries to the guy, so not sure what they needed liferafts dropped for. Probably explain why the 10 man raft blew away after they deployed it...According to my sea survival course, 2 people in a 10 man raft is not at all safe, they flip too easily and, oh, blow away....

Classic fact free Herald piece. Said the yacht was heading to the Cook Islands, but didn't say where from... more questions than answers.

Third last line says actual costs of helicopter and fixed wing aircraft was actually $30k (an order of magnitude different from $1 mil)

Note the second last line:

Rescue centre spokesman Lindsay Sturt said the cost of keeping the Orion in the air was included in the annual costs of the air force and separating out one incident was not easy. [/size]

And I wont comment on that story being from 2005.

All I said was the media would have you believe otherwise...sheesh!

"human rights PC wankery" ??? Tell me you didn't mean this.

100% absolutely thru to Not in the slightest.

All depends which parts you're talking about.

What’s the penalty for not having a current cat 1 paperwork in place then? I’m not sure I understand the concept of “clearing out”. From the uk, we just used to sail off, then raise the Q on arrival and go to find a customs guy with our passports. Ditto on the return to the uk. We were never questioned upon leaving nor told that we should.

And, even if we are all ok about doing a cat 1, how are we supposed to do that in the South Island, with no inspectors here? I don’t fancy provisioning and setting off with the family to have to go via Tauranga (for example) first, then finding that we can’t go because of some daft reason. More likely we’d want to set off East via the Chathams, but no-one there to inspect either.

What’s the penalty for not having a current cat 1 paperwork in place then? I’m not sure I understand the concept of “clearing out”. From the uk, we just used to sail off, then raise the Q on arrival and go to find a customs guy with our passports. Ditto on the return to the uk. We were never questioned upon leaving nor told that we should.

Same reason you could travel freely around Ireland and Europe without a passport is why you could just sail off and come back in the UK. Might change now with Brexit.

To leave NZ by boat ('clear out') you have to have an NZ border security official stamp the passports of everybody on board, and the ships papers (I think). If you don't have a Cat 1 certificate, the Border Guard wont stamp your passport / let you leave NZ. 

You could just sail off, but the issues are around entry to other countries, i.e. passport / visa / immigration stuff (nothing to do with the boat), and generally things get complicated very quickly

Been searching the net about leaving NZ without clearance and cannot find what the penalties are?

Impounded boat, crew in jail, lots of $$$$. That's assuming you got to another port without being sunk, boarded and arrested by a patrol boat of some sort because they couldn't find any official records and assumed you are a drug/people/gun/Home Brew smuggler.

To leave without clearance these days would be a very BIG call.

I suppose you could arrive in NZ and be fine, in fact welcomed with open arms by the government. But you'd need to pretend you're someone else, use a false passport, be in bed with Mafia and gangs, have a lot of drugs aboard your boat, beat your wife and generally be a huge arsehole. You'd want to check there hadn't been an election and change of government first though.

• Upvote 2

When clearing out, an exit stamp in the passports and a zarpe (clearance paper) for the yacht. Any port in any country you go to will (should) ask for that form. Not to do so is to risk jail.

Ive seen a couple of yachts not clear in or out in some third world countries, and know of one who went to jail. His boat seemed basically abandoned.

When clearing out, an exit stamp in the passports and a zarpe (clearance paper) for the yacht. Any port in any country you go to will (should) ask for that form. Not to do so is to risk jail.

Ive seen a couple of yachts not clear in or out in some third world countries, and know of one who went to jail. His boat seemed basically abandoned.

Technically,  is this still the case if sailing to Australia on an NZ passport?