Buckets

Fish I used one once few years back when the AKL-Noumea race started around same time as the squaddie winter series race.

The race started in fog, which then cleared, but we when were coming back to Westhaven the fog was so thick I could barely see the bowman.

In fact I dont think Ive ever seen fog like it.

We used it coming passed ferry building as they were blowing theirs to, and also in the entrance by the tank farm as we literally couldnt see a thing but could hear other horns

I doubt Ill ever use it again though

Also used a monster one on Kailua 30 years ago to blow Bob Fife 70 blasts for his birthday when passing his house on Kawau...they dont make them like that any more thank God

I'm not arguing about the need or otherwise of the rules. 

I currently have 5 buckets on board so I'm not disagreeing with those arguing that they are cheap and useful.

The thrust of Cat 1 is safety at sea.  What I am struggling with is a scenario where I need 4 buckets with lanyards?  I'm not using a bucket with a lanyard for bailing my boat in an emergency - I would assume that a lanyard on a bucket would be more of a hindrance.

Washing mud off the deck after anchoring in Islington Bay isn't really a sea-going emergency?

Firefighting?  

Firefighting?  

Firefighting is why they specify the number and size of fire extinguishers required.....

The safety regs are loaded with things that are "a good idea to have", but are either outdated or supersceded by something else required in the regs, or alternatively just simply aren't ever used by anyone, like fog horns. And if they are used, it is for beer funnels or waking up sleeping crew members... which isn't related to safety at sea...

So we end up with compulsion to carry a whole lot of "good ideas to have".

If they were such a good idea to have, we'd have one, and the need to have one wouldn't be compulsory.

I take it thats a yes. Went down this road about getting a cat1 in 2003 and there was no call for a para anchor which apart from the Pardeys saying how bad they are, saved me off Cape Turnagain. At leased they now consider them a must have.

For CAT 4 and 5, when is the last time anyone used a fog horn?

When is the last time anyone used a fog horn full stop?

Did anyone use a fog horn when that 100 odd boats were sifting around in the fog on the delayed start to the last SSANZ race? the one delayed to 1 pm ish from 9 am, you know the one, where all hundred odd boats should have been merely tooting their way around the harbour?...................

Called a foghorn, but not only used in fog. It's an essential signalling device. Not only to signal your intentions, but more so to tell the numpty, who's motoring toward you while he's down below doing who the fk knws what, to get up on the deck and not run you down in the glassed off 1knt conditions of an 11am Sunday off mission bay.

Doesn't matter what category of race, it happens, and it can happen quickly.

I fended the bugger off with a manual hands-on deflection of his pulpit, gouging a hole in my hand, while deftly allowing the prop and leg of my raised outboard to scrape down the topsides of his boat. All I got from him was a "oh, sorry mate..." as he motored off into the distance without even easing back on the throttle. Wish'd I had that fog horn right about then...

• Upvote 1

Wish'd I had that fog horn right about then...

But again, you didn't use the fog horn.

I leave the keys in the ignition. Covers that type of situation, and resolves it far better than honking on an oversized plastic party toy.

How many people can remember the correct number of honks for each intended maneuver, without having to check a book or google?

Fog horns are used less than day shapes, and have even less knowledge than day shapes. Just another example of 'good ideas' that fill the boat up.

How many people can remember the correct number of honks for each intended maneuver, without having to check a book or google?.

I will hold my hand up for that one.

But where I cruise in Europe a good familiarity with sound signals is an essential part of the boatman's repertoire. Probably not so much required in our waters in NZ,although in a close quarter situation that results in damage or injury I'm sure the relevant investigative authorities will ask, 'Did you make the appropriate sound signals?'

Only ever used one once. Decided to test it inside the boat. Just about blew my bloody eardrums to pieces.

You mean the safety device was a hazard to your safety, sounds like flares....

1 honk turning to stb

2 honks turning to prt

3 honks going astern

5 honks... get the hell outa my way

I thought five honks means Ireland just bet the All Blacks...

In the wider boating fraternity, I'd take a punt more boaties would honk horns in some sort of celebration, not as a means of communication. What does a sports fishing boat do after they've landed a bill fish?

And how many yachts actually get out of the way when a cruise ship gives 3 honks before backing out of Queens Wharf? everyone is thinking the Captain is just tooting goodbye to Auckland...

I feel so much safer now that I have a bucket and a foghorn

As you should.

Forget the fog prefix of the word and call it the ship's horn, whistle, signalling device or whatever. Then it becomes the nautical equivalent of your cars indicators/hazard lights which I am sure you wouldn't want to be without.