Launch versus moored yacht

Apparently on Sat night a large launch believed to be a Salthouse 60 hit a moored yacht of Buckland beach, he was leaving the marina, both boats sunk, allthough the launch was recovered yesterday. Dont know what yacht was hit. :(

3.00 pm Sunday, note the Ply?? patch at bow waterline.

2 barges , 2 tugs, a crane, 2 coastguard vessels and harbourmaster rib in attendance..

Gotta wonder what this salvage cost the insurer?.

IMG_0275.jpg

.......How the ?!?!?!.....No don't answer that.

Why is it that these launch owners think they can not keep a look out. Same idiots that cross centrelines into oncoming traffic I guess.

I was nearly taken out last Saturday by that very thing. Straight piece of road and a car coming towards me starts to come straight toward me. He just missed me and my trailer and if he didn't get the wake up call just missing me, he surely would have ploughed head on into the vehicle right behind me. He swerved violently as he passed me and just missed the fellow behind.

These launch "steerers" have got to learn they have to maintain a constant watch. But their Brain seems to go on Holiday as soon as the step foot aboard.

3.00 pm Sunday, note the Ply?? patch at bow waterline.

sh*t - was out w/surfing between W/ tamaki and BBYC about that time and never saw that goin' on - too busy watchin out for kite surfers!

I heard this being played out on the VHF on Sat night. Deodar thought they found the yacht involved (primary reason was to ensure it was in fact moored and no other people were involved) Apparently other than a mangled pulpit, it appeared to be fine.

It was fortunate that one of the larger CG vessels was in the river at the time on another job. They dropped their tow and were on scene in minutes to get people off. From what I heard, they also did bloody well getting a semi submerged 60 footer in through the moored boats with the tide running and as far into the beach as they did. :thumbup:

Good, another stinker just where it belongs... on the sea bed!!

I hope like hell it was full of Telco executives and none had lifejackets or could swim. Losing them would also be a benefit for society.

Hi

The Harbourmaster Duty Officer dealt with this incident. Following the collision the vessel was towed to the shallows by Police Deodar III and CG vessel Lion. The Harbourmaster DO responded with a salvage and pollution response team. The vessel was removed by that team on Sunday. I'll post some photo's of the incident and responce once they are available.

cheers

The boat is owned by a good bunch of boaties, It is seem regularly going out of HMB Marina and the guys should know the river pretty well. Think it may have hit the Davidson 35 that has morred there for ages and wasnt there yesterday? Saw the launch looking pretty average at about 10am but was lifted at about 2pm and in the slings by 4pmish, Great job well done by the Salvagers to get it patched and floating again. Good sized hole in her. Never seen Bucklands Beach look so packed with all the people watching it get salvaged, was a good crowd.

Hard to believe though that a hole ths big can happen with no damage to the other boat? And doing 5 knots most boats bump off each other without too bigger holes at that speed.

andPB130047.JPGPB130040.JPG

Th Harbourmaster team was going all night to ensure the vessl was patched in time for the mornung lift, preventing major fuel loss and clearing an area for the barge and tugs to work in. A goog job by Thomson Tow Boats for Tug and Crane Barge, and Auckland Marine Services for 2nd tug and salvage divers and equipment, and to Marc Davis (Harbourmaster Duty Officer) for the co-ordination of the operation.

Archived