Launch versus moored yacht

Do we have any pics of the hole?

doesn't look like it, well at least it wasn't the boothy and that other bloke

That episode has been mentioned in despatches......

The launch is on the hardstand at HMB. The hole is around 400mm odd, and above the waterline! Go figure?. One guy I spoke to said the owners kids were on the boat taking it for a late night cruise, but I spoke to the wife of the owner when they were pulling the squabs etc out, and the adults claimed responsibility... well, thats what they probably telling the insurance company.

The hole is around 400mm odd, and above the waterline!

how do you sink a boat if the hole is above the water line?

Eh? If the water is anything other than millpond flat that's easy. And even in flat water your own waterline shape changes when underway, especially around the bow:

lady.jpg

Yeah but pretty damn stupid if they pushed the boat along hard enough that water came through the hole. They could of tried stuffing something in the hole. A windy bouy would have been perfect for a 400mm hole.Of course they may not of had a windy bouy, but what i am saying that if you think a bit, something can usually be done to lessen the inflow allowing bilge pumps to cope. But hey, it's a Stickpotter, so what can you expect.

Seems it did happen when the launch was coming back in on Sat night and struck a yacht on the Glendowie side of estuary.

Funny thing is that the moored boats on that side are a loooong way in and it would be a hell of a deviation from main channel to hit one.

I did notice something quite unusual on Sunday when coming back in myself.

Very close to the first starboard can in the estuary is (or was) a 40 odd foot yacht at anchor (or moored??) with out a mast and a bunch of canvas loosely flapping around over its foredeck and cabin.

Unusual because to the best of my knowledge there are no moorings that far out into the estuary ( certainly no other boats moored in that location) and if you were coming in at night sticking close to starboard side of channel it would be hard to spot and you could very easily run very close to it.

In all the reports there has been no mention of which yacht and where exactly it was moored, thinking it may have been this yacht??.

From memory, if its the same one I'm thinking of, has been moored out there for quite some time. It was no where near the channel last time I remember it tho. Perhaps it's dragged.

I'm intrigued as to how you get a 400mm hole that close to the waterline by hitting a moored yacht while doing 5 knots.

I'm intrigued as to how you get a 400mm hole that close to the waterline by hitting a moored yacht while doing 5 knots.

There's a few launches had a similar problem back in the 80's & 90's but further out to sea.

Archived