Y8.4s

col j

couple of helpful people round here arent there? cheers guys. will see how we get on.

in the meantime Richard if you decide you dont like cool change let us know. ill see if we can help you out some way :think:

yeh but i heard a rumour that alex (richards resident stoner boat builder) was going to get out a saw of sorts and attempt something hes never done before for a lifting inboard prop. mind you that might take the 18 months.

The Public Image is/was a Galaxy 800 design which was more like a baby Y11 than Positive touch.

It was supposed to be 8m overall but when it was all planked up it seemed a shame to chop off all the planking that extended passed the transom so it stayed and the length became 8.4m overall.

Got some photos somewhere.

Plus it comes with it's own awesomely obnoxious theme song

Played at max decibels on a looped tape encourages irate cruising sailors to row over to voice their displeasure............. which achieved precisely zero :twisted:

Cool stuff WT. Looking good! You gonna bung a diesel engine in there too? About the only thing that ever put me off those boats was the engine box in the middle of the cockpit.

I'm impressed. New house, new girlfriend and you still find time to work on your boat. Do you still have time to have the odd drink with your mates?

Yeah i'm keeping busy... Working on the boat is like my treat after renovating the house! WT hasn't been in the water for more than 3 years now and that's too long by any standard!

No Diesel.... too heavy. I will keep the well but seal it up during the season and hang a small motor off the back. Then for longer races where you might have to get out of trouble i'll go back to the well and the 15hp.

Col

In answer to your question, we draw 2.0m with 650 in the bulb. We have a pretty chunky section so no issues with handling at low speeds. The boat was originally drawn with a little over 400kgs and I think we suffer from the extra weight. From memory, WT is pretty similar to us but in light of the photos above, that may well be changing?? (gulp). RNB had a new keel 5 – 6 years ago and I think draws about 2.4m but still has a reasonable amount of lead, 600 – 650kgs. The new foil is definitely faster than ours. Blue Dude is/was the benchmark for speed, again drawing in the order of 2.4m but with about 440kg.

They’re really fun boats and you could do a lot worse.

From memory Blue Dude disappeared over the horizon early in the morning destined for Noumea with a lone French madman on the stick?

There was quite a strong SW flow on its way so perhaps he had one hell of a ride but pretty ballsy to jump on a yacht you have just bought then head that far for a shakedown cruise.

From memory Blue Dude disappeared over the horizon early in the morning destined for Noumea with a lone French madman on the stick?

There was quite a strong SW flow on its way so perhaps he had one hell of a ride but pretty ballsy to jump on a yacht you have just bought then head that far for a shakedown cruise.

I'm pretty sure he left 2 up with his mate. The crew decided the owner was crazy and got off the boat before Barrier. But the owner went solo and made it. Got there pretty quick also I believe! But the Dude is a bit light. Deffinately a boat for a full crew to be comfortable :-)

RnB has always been the best looking 8.4 I think. Wild Thing was nice on it's original paint job but but the zebra stripes are an 'aquired taste'. I'm going to hit WT with the 36 grit next week. She's 2 paint jobs deep and probably heavy.... Haven't decided on a colour yet... Any Ideas?

By the way, foil is out of the equation now. $3200 + Gst for topsides only........ That's just too much.

She's 2 paint jobs deep and probably heavy.... Haven't decided on a colour yet... Any Ideas?

By the way, foil is out of the equation now. $3200 + Gst for topsides only........ That's just too much.

Youre probably already aware, but whilst metalics look great, if you ever scratch it, a good repair is going to be expensive.

A retro orange could look good.

I think the Dude had a bigger rig than the others. Rumour was that it was much the same as a young 11. Boat was built with one thing in mind ( going fast ) and was well sailed too. Very much quicker than the others. Great bang for bucks.

Archived