Y8.4s

col j

now that so and so has aquired such and such before me and whats his face could, we are looking at different options.

main question is what the keels on the fast 8.4s look like? just fess up would be good and save me going for a swim on g pier and going for a hunt for that silver/red one. or we just make one like a small force 11 (have the arm twisting ability to obtain the knowledge) then you'll be in trouble, should we choose to go that path.

nothing paid for yet but really keen to stop sailing this 727 iv been bow on for 5+ years. also keen to spend more time on the fun stick (tiller) of a faster boat.

get back on topic. if an sr is the way forward, why the change on your side? besides its still a relatively small boat. t man is an option as is t smash but id want to crawl all over them sussing it out. think the paint on t man is better isnt it? either way im back to window shopping and asking questions at this stage

I would have thought that a good 8.4 would go for more money than an SR and an 8.4 will be faster and roomier. I'm not dissing the SR's as I had one for 5 odd years and they're awesome. But the 8.4's are in a different league. Colj like the SR's there seems to be a bit of variation of configuration between the boats, but ending up with a similar result. Talk to WT if you want to know more, as he's played around, tweaked, even a carbon wing mast which did result in a significant increase in overall speed.

But if you want to beat them both (carbon wing masted versions excepted) - gimme a call...

we have a slight issue of the amount of moolah we have available to spend. so if we can get atom ant for 50 or less we can think about it but that would be like cutting off your arm, which would be some feat after the buffing of the boat, and stealing a child. good job buffing it though. looks good in the piccies.

if i can avoid it i dont really want to go for an sr. cool boats and all but i spent too much of my childhood crawling around in gaucho, knocking my head in the 1/4 berths, loosing matchbox cars to the bilge and so on.

I always say you should never let a thing like price get in the way of buying a boat. After all I couldn't afford the Ant when I bought it! Under 50 isn't going to happen but come and take a look and then decide if you can afford it! Yeah well she went back in the water all bright and shiny last weekend - looks awesome!

Now John, under 50k will happen, just pass it on to the owner of that Farrier that he needs to drop 15k off his price and everyone is happy (well, except for the Farrier owner :thumbdown: )

I always say you should never let a thing like price get in the way of buying a boat. After all I couldn't afford the Ant when I bought it! Under 50 isn't going to happen but come and take a look and then decide if you can afford it! Yeah well she went back in the water all bright and shiny last weekend - looks awesome!

There is some good advice on buying a second hand boat.

the price that is relevant is not what you pay for the boat,

but rather what it costs you over the period that you own it.

sometimes getting the $49k boat that you can afford, might cost you a bunch in maintenance costs in the first year,

whereas paying for a $68Kboat might end up being a cheaper and better option.

yep seen that one fine line. what i was wondering is how different rnb and whats news keels are from that and if anyone knows which ways they changed the performance. i know wild thing is way different from public image. maybe its top secret?

only problem i have with skinny keels like on wild thing is the slippage at low speeds/light airs. in saying that though more rag/horse power doesnt always solve the slow part when the breeze is in.

R n B is well different, 2.4m I think instead of 2m. Impression from a distance is that it's way better for it, though Smakme may be able to tell you more as I think he had a hand in it.

ahh blue dude was a rocket as said it was light had nothing in it the 8.4 was and still is a very nice boat heres a crap pic of the dude revs will have all the info on it

post-10410-141887170016.jpg

The keel in WT hasn't been an issue as far as stalling at low speed. Although it is a fat section which would help. You just have to fly a lot of sail in the light to be powered up and not going sideways. The largest limiting factor with the young boats is rocker in the forward sections. The 11's are reasonably flatish, same with some of the rocket 31's. Positive Touch is really flat, that's why she's so quick off the wind. WT is somewhere in the middle.

But in summary, the 8.4's are a really nice boat to sail. Very much like the 11's. No complaints at all. If Public image hasn't been changed to much hull shape wise, she should go well.

Archived