Raymarine upgrade from 2008

I am looking to upgrade my 2008 Raymarine electronics and radar.

I guess it’s easy to just update with Raymarine but what else do people use.

I am looking at 12 inch plotter fish finder, 3 mfds i70s and radar.

I am also looking for someone to install for me.

I currently have a E80 plotter, st60s

all advice gratefully accepted.

Brett

I went down this track recently with a 57' Salthouse still with original 2008 Raymarine gear. Thought staying with Raymarine would be easiest and could reuse some components.... However after 14 odd years and several generations of Raymarine... found it was best to basically replace everything.... So all brands now up for consideration.

For MFD's both Raymarine and Furuno are running quad core processors (faster)

Garmin seems to often be first to market with new features but are always updating software as they find the bugs (you are their tester!)

Furuno and Simrad are the main choice of the commercial guys.

Ended up going with Furuno and did the install myself. Was impressed by the build quality and ruggedness compared to the Raymarine gear that came out.

I have all Raymarine new in the past two years

I’ve been really happy with their gear the Axiom screen is intuitive to use and everything has proven to be reliable in a big range of conditions

I started with a tri-ducer   and screen and have added tiller pilot and wind gear as budget has allowed and found it all very easy to install and add to.

I do recommend getting the pro screen with buttons and control knob as well as touch screen as when it’s really wet we can lock the screen and still use the controls

Im yet to see a touch screen that behaves once the salt water is really flowing!

On 26/02/2022 at 5:01 PM, Brett said:

I am looking to upgrade my 2008 Raymarine electronics and radar.

I guess it’s easy to just update with Raymarine but what else do people use.

I am looking at 12 inch plotter fish finder, 3 mfds i70s and radar.

I am also looking for someone to install for me.

I currently have a E80 plotter, st60s

all advice gratefully accepted.

Brett

Power boat or Sail?

If you look at radar image comparisons, you'd buy a Halo radar - Simrad for Power vessel, B&G for Yacht. IMO the Simrad or B&G are the market leaders.

As the other post above says, E80 era Raymarine has NOTHING in common with their modern stuff, it will ALL have to be replaced, so look around and see what you like. 

If you are around, or can visit Gulf Harbor, I'd be happy to show you some options.. Send me a PM, or call 0221539176, Matt

2 hours ago, Island Time said:

Power boat or Sail?

If you look at radar image comparisons, you'd buy a Halo radar - Simrad for Power vessel, B&G for Yacht. IMO the Simrad or B&G are the market leaders.

As the other post above says, E80 era Raymarine has NOTHING in common with their modern stuff, it will ALL have to be replaced, so look around and see what you like. 

If you are around, or can visit Gulf Harbor, I'd be happy to show you some options.. Send me a PM, or call 0221539176, Matt

I will be in touch, cheers for that

I’ve got the same era Raymarine gear, all still going fine BUT, wondering if I should be buying cheaply this gear that’s being removed and replaced as spares or just save the money and put it towards the inevitable full replacement ?

3 hours ago, Island Time said:

Hi Jon, take a look at what the new stuff does - lower power consumption, better displays, better steering etc .... Then make up your mind!

So your saying just save the money for the big upgrade,

So I’ve got two E80, wind with two displays autopilot ST7000 depth speed tri data display ais course computer electric drive on steering gearbox

How much of this is useable and what’s the ballpark number in SBD (standard boat dollars = $1k)

16 minutes ago, Jon said:

So your saying just save the money for the big upgrade,

So I’ve got two E80, wind with two displays autopilot ST7000 depth speed tri data display ais course computer electric drive on steering gearbox

How much of this is useable and what’s the ballpark number in SBD (standard boat dollars = $1k)

Not really. what I'm saying is check out a modern system and see if its benefits are worthwhile for you. Everyone is different.

However to answer your question, 2 9" Zeus 3s displays, Dual display wireless wind with a DST810 (Depth/Speed/Temp), and a NAC 3 AP computer is circa 16K. That's using your existing AIS, and existing AP drive unit. Of course you could add more - VHF, Fwd scan sonar, wireless handset for VHF, Halo 20+ Radar - the list is pretty endless!

Your existing system is still saleable, but not for a lot!

Didn’t mention have digital radar (2015) and have a evo gyro that I was sold to integrate but doesn’t, still in the box.

So if I can keep the good bits will it all interface ?

Forward sonar and VHF etc not me

Maybe next year

I did a slow transition over a couple of years from old ST60 gear on Seatalk to the i70, i60, p70 controllers, autopilot and a new chart plotter on STNG. Buy the iTc 5 converter first so that all the old gear plays nicely with Seatalk NG and buy the new bits as you can afford it. I just took my time and looked for bargains on eBay and overall (including shipping) I saved around 50% on NZ RRP. Much of that was before the new GST capture rules however. Worked well for me, and the newer Raymarine gear is perfect for me (not a racer). 

10 hours ago, Jon said:

90% of my nav is iPad and navionics, if I could get radar and ais off the old system to overlay on navionics plus maybe the fish finder too I’d be sorted

Once you use a new MFD you won't want to use an Ipad, except for remoting the MFD! Better displays, better GPS, wide viewing angle, sunlight viewable, dim right down at night, night color selections, touch and buttons, etc. All the current MFDs have wifi built in, and an app to display and control the MFD from Ipad or Andriod. Good for lying in your bunk and checking what's happening on deck! You can still use Navionics charts if you wish, but Navico now only supply Cmap - which they own. Navionics is now owned by Garmin.

Halo Radars start at $2300, but the one I recommend is $3K - Halo 20+. Instant on/off, no warmup. Low current draw, Velocity tracking (any target approaching you is displayed in a different color), MARPA, Dual Display (effectively 2 radars in one, can have a short and long range display at the same time). Also has a power save mode, so it can start, for example every 5 mins, do 3 rotations, and if no targets, stop. If target present, stay on, alarm, whatever you wish. Full guard zone functions, AIS overlays, if using a suitable B&G VHF direct DSC calls to any AIS or DSC target on the MFD, etc etc

I'd sell the Evo gyro if you were to go to B&G, as it's cheaper to buy the AP unit as a kit - with a precision 9 solid state compass (includes rate, roll, pitch, yaw, and heave) than to buy individual components. Your existing radar is also pretty easily sold, and you might be surprised how much you get for it - I've a customer who had  a similar Raymarine vintage to yours, and it cost him $500 to go to a B&G radar, once he'd sold his on trademe!

Grey imports may not have a NZ warranty, and we should be very price competitive. Navico says we will match or better any genuine international prices...

9 minutes ago, southernman said:

@Island Time got a tricky one for you, race boat has a rotating mast and I want to mount wind on the top.  Any ideas that would integrate with a B&G chartplotter that would show apparent and true wind?  I was looking at something like this:  https://www.openwind.de/

Thoughts?  

Yeah, rotating masts are an issue. Its pricey as the B&G solution requires a B&G Hercules H5000 system and a mast rotation sensor - you can use a rudder angle sensor and mechanical link, or one like this https://nz.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Honeywell/SPS-A100D-HAWS?qs=VPR2Pdj9HgAzdLnn7pUFgg%3D%3D, but you need the H5000....

here is this sensor installed;

29EA6787-557E-459A-AAEE-3E237B8A1679.jpeg

Given the Open Wind has an NMEA output which enables calculation of the rotation, one would assume it works with B&G?  Does B&G take any NMEA input for wind?  It's a small racing tri so our plan is to have a single B&G display e.g. chartplotter with wind input.

If you can feed the corrected wind dir into nmea2000 (Vulcan) or Zeus3, or NMEA0183 (Zeus 3 only), that would work. I've not personally used an Openwind unit, so I'm not certain how that one works...

I bought the openwind setup last year for my 8.5 tri, plays nicely delivering AWA and AWS straight into the N2K bus.(they do a 0183 version as well)

Unfortunatly the boat is on my driveway being repaired so can't give definitive info for sure how good it is in use, but on the test bench my triton displays (and the vulcan) will do the TWA and TWS calculations. Also the unit has been out in the elements screwed on the fence post for the last year, seems fine.

In research for finding a rotating mast solution, the Openwind was the cheapest black box solution that was straight plug and play into the network.

Next up in cost and complexity was LCJ Capteurs, they do a rotating mast version with a compensentation box that takes a signal from a mast rotation sensor, in fact I think they are reccommending the hall effect honeywell sensor IT pictured above. This has its own calibration settings, but then plugs straight into the N2K network.

Third option is the full monty processor as mentioned above, certanily the most capable/accurate, but big dolars and proper setup of the system is a profession all of itself!