mono vs tri vs cat

Easy answer. The boat you have is best, so in my case while there is a heavy Mono influence at the moment Cats are good also as I have one and a fraction of them as well.

Tris and Proas, must just sux then I suppose as I have neither :lol: :lol:

I must say that Tri that's on the end of Z peir in Westhaven does get my juices flowing every time I walk past. 50ft ?? white one from New Cal, I think. Looks like a ripper very high speed cruiser for me and the Wa.

In light of recent experience the big bridgedeck cats for cruising set the bar very high. I've never been on another boat where the standard of living was as high.

W441 has the correct and proper question, "Best for what??" There is no perfect fits all uses/fits all people type boat out there. Each has it's positives and negatives.

Squid, even the bar being set high by that Cat, I would suggest could also be set high by a very lovely Mono if it was big and spacious enough and of equal finish.

Now personally, I don't see the point in a Tri for Cruising. One hell of a big boat footprint with it's equvilant cost and yet not a lot of additional space than any Mono. A cat at least can take advantage of all that area between as well as including the two big hulls. A Tri can be damn fast at passage making though.

its all a matter of preference and mine is definately for a cat,

generally more level ,stable , roomy, and easily driven, so faster without having to push hard, 9 knots can feel so effortless when cruising and may only need a headsail to achieve downwind. Particularly noticable is the room on deck, which makes it easy and safe to move around and sail/enjoy the boat. I recently did a trip on a 35 ft mono from Fiji and noticed the lack of deck space particularly on the bow with a dinghy carried there, makes it a lot more hassle to set a sea anchor etc. Lots of people move from mono to multi, not so many come back.

Regards safety, most people drown from falling overboard, way more than from sinking monos or flipping multis. On that big cat you would have had to take a big running jump to have any chance of hitting the water.

It still surprises me at how passionate some people are about one over the other. Makes little difference to me having spent a fair amount of time on both. All have pros and cons and any boat is better than a lawnmower.

It still surprises me at how passionate some people are about one over the other. Makes little difference to me having spent a fair amount of time on both. All have pros and cons and any boat is better than a lawnmower.

Obviously you do KNOT have an ELECTRIC start lawnmower!! :lol:

Archived