Really Dark

Fogg

I did Vavau to Savusavu a couple of years back on this http://www.catamarandesign.co.nz/averone-charter/boat-test-of-averone.html

Yes it will do the 15kn speeds but the fuel use is then very high. To get the benefit of the displacement effect you have to have very skinny and long hulls which usually means light displacement. Averone has none of those attributes. I think it is on the hard at GH at present getting more conventional power.

We sold the sailing cat after our 5 years live aboard and bought a smaller planning powercat. Berthage costs were a lot less, fuel useage 2l/nm at 22kn, overall ownership as you go about the same. But as pointed out here the planning powerboat will depreciate far quicker.

To me it's horses for courses and for now I like to spend my time at the Barrier or Mercuries. I just get out there a lot more often on a power boat.

So do I get kicked off the site now?

To me it's horses for courses and for now I like to spend my time at the Barrier or Mercuries. I just get out there a lot more often on a power boat.

So do I get kicked off the site now?

Absolutely not. Not by me anyway. We're talking the same language and so are a number of others here who have 'come out' and admitted similar thoughts since I opened this thread i.e. when working out how to make the most of our precious free time a planing motor boat might have a role to play in some scenarios.

Also, some of the tension and angst that sometimes develops between the sailing and motor boat communities could be helped by a better understanding of each others' perspective including more discussion in places like this forum. So I'm always in favour of hearing from the widest possible cross section including local NZ boaties, overseas members, sailors and others.

And besides, you've got the perfect name!

AC I think there is more cross over than most think.

Last summer I was involved in the bane of the solitude seeking, cruising yachties life, a powerboat raft up in Whangaroa.

Two of the skippers had circumnavigated by yacht, another had plenty of trips to the islands under sail ticked off.

All are happy on their launches for now

I think if you're going to have 2 boats then you want them to be different to each other. No point in having 2 similar cruising boats that vary only in speed. Maintenance, depreciation and mooring costs will bite you in the ass.

So you could have a cruising yacht and a fast overnighter fizzboat or a gin palace and sporty yacht. And even better if one of them can be dry-stored.

Or just buy a beachhouse where you wanna holiday and have a sporty overnighter, power or sail.

Throw them all off the site Squid, I did warn you when you let cruisers on that before you knew it, we'd have launches, jet skiers and eventually it'd decline to the levels of truck racing and fishing.

Can we move on to a more tasteful topic, the nutritional benefits of deep frying vs. spit roasting when eating your young or something?

Throw them all off the site Squid, I did warn you when you let cruisers on that before you knew it, we'd have launches, jet skiers and eventually it'd decline to the levels of truck racing and fishing.

Can we move on to a more tasteful topic, the nutritional benefits of deep frying vs. spit roasting when eating your young or something?

+1. What next, a Ford v Holden debate. KICK THEM OFF!! this shyt is more repugnant than that Cryptic Thin, Graham Brown or whatever-his-name-was turkey. The only good powerboat is a sunken powerboat.

Go to www.fishing.net.nz if you want to talk powerboats and fishing rods, sheesh.

Hahahaha, well if my dirtiest secret is that after 30 yrs of sailing I see the benefit of occassionally being able to get from A to B about 5x faster, then I reckon I'm pretty squeaky clean compared to some!

We were trying to catch some fish out behind the Noises earlier in the week, FYI no fish in the Gulf

Don't know what your doing but the Gulf is full of fish... In fact I'd rate it the best season I've experienced. Regular limit bags...

Anyway... re running costs. If you factor in regular updates to sails I wouldn't be surprised to see Launches aren't all that much more (and sometimes less) to run than a equivalent yacht. For example any sail for a Farr 1020 is about $4000. $4000 buys enough Diesel for a Genesis Launch to cruise 1500 miles. But most yachties for some reason exclude sails from running costs ????

securedownload.jpg

But most yachties for some reason exclude sails from running costs ????

And running rigging, standing rigging, mast, winches, handles etc. Anyway, what are you doing talking about fishing, go to http://www.catchasnapper or something like that. This site is only for people who have sail boats without any sort of engine at all. In fact they don't even own cars but commute on blokarts.

Quite a few yachties never buy sails, they just hang around yacht clubs looking for castoffs from richer folk who are bored with their current suite. :)

You can do that with diesel, but it's hard to collect as it pours out the tailpipe as black smoke. :D

But most yachties for some reason exclude sails from running costs ????

True. You extend this to include the cost of sails and rigging too (standing and running).Say budget to replace running rigging and sheets every 5 years and maybe standing rigging every 10 - depending on how hard you work it things obviously. And whether you have Jordan on board of course.

So what would it likely cost me to replace the standing and running rigging on my average 35ft cruiser?

We were trying to catch some fish out behind the Noises earlier in the week, FYI no fish in the Gulf

Don't know what your doing but the Gulf is full of fish... In fact I'd rate it the best season I've experienced. Regular limit bags..

Bloody skite and you're right. Talking to a commercial fisho mate and they are getting a net full (this is knot far from Kawau) inside 10mins at the moment, usually 45mins. And they are chucking back huge numbers of 18 plus lbers, too big for the market. Oh and he's a bastard also ;)

Hahahaha, well if my dirtiest secret is that after 30 yrs of sailing I see the benefit of occassionally being able to get from A to B about 5x faster, then I reckon I'm pretty squeaky clean compared to some!

I seriously doubt to a very large degree that is your dirtiest secret, stop deflecting ;)

True. You extend this to include the cost of sails and rigging too (standing and running).Say budget to replace running rigging and sheets every 5 years and maybe standing rigging every 10 - depending on how hard you work it things obviously. And whether you have Jordan on board of course.

Every 5 and 10 years :lol: :lol: :lol: Ya dreaming, multiple both by 3 and your probably closer.

And I'll raise that by - fuel filters, oil filters, fuel additive, grease, oil, 18 phone calls per year just to get someone down to service the motor, more anodes, air freshener to get the diesel stink out, hose replacements, belt replacements, new fuel pump, pumping out the crap fuel the jetty pumped in, tank flushing and the list goes on.

F*ck that, trim the main in a bit will ya ;)

Oh and everyone knows Holdens sux :twisted:

It's not about money, it's about style, class.

Oh and AC, if you're talking 5x faster, all your telling us is that as well as finding a sense of style, you could brush up on your trimming skills too.

Seriously, if you find you usually motor instead of sail, then get a launch, that's what they do, that and run really big refridgeration systems. We won't respect you of course, but if you distribute cold beer to Crew.Org members when out, we'll at least appreciate you, it's the best you can hope for on the really dark side.

Archived