should boaties be licensed ?

Should recreational power boat drivers need a licence?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Should recreational power boat drivers need a licence?

• yes
    • no

Can't help but wonder how many who voted yes in the Herald poll actually read through to the last paragraph:

However, Maritime New Zealand safety inspector Jim Lilley told Radio New Zealand research over the past decade had showed licensing of boaties overseas makes "negligible difference" to the number of fatalities on the water.

If we all had a license it would facilitate revenue gathering (trough snouting)

Scope to employ some clipboard hounds at the boat ramps, (wearing high viz road workers gear)

Sod off I reckon.

The question is 'Should recreational power boat drivers need a licence?' so I am the muppet that said yes so far. The rest of you cant read the question....

As long as they leave the yachties alone....

Shite and over 7500 votes as well at the Herald. And Wayno Price is going to get a earfull from me the cheeky bugger. Mind you every year they do suffer big boating issues with the 09ers, as they call Aucklanders. But if you ask Wayne (who is a highly reasonable realistic and knot a silly dude) he'll tell you 99% are seafleas or small fizzies mostly with younger people driving them, very rarely anything larger. The larger boats only tend to run down the Nav marks (Oh yeah says the supplier ;) ) but yet again these are always powerboats. Wayne probably pissed as the amount of paperwork any incident generates is MASSSIVE and he has to do most of it himself. This latest seaflea crash is only one of what seems to be a yearly occurrence down that way. If you think back 2 and I think 3 years the same stupid sh*t happened with the same sad end result on the same silly seafleas.

Can't help but wonder how many who voted yes in the Herald poll actually read through to the last paragraph:

However, Maritime New Zealand safety inspector Jim Lilley told Radio New Zealand research over the past decade had showed licensing of boaties overseas makes "negligible difference" to the number of fatalities on the water.

See I told you the Akl MarOps team aren't all silly. Jim and it Dilley knot Lilley, is another realistic dude with more than enough experience and the smarts to make comments like that.

Yeah lets licence all boaters so no-one will ever do a naughty again, just like why all the Gangs have firearm licences isn't it :?

Max has it right. In Aussie it was brought in due to things like what's happened and was fine but now the boat licence fees have sky-rocketed to help cover the cost of ramps, other infrastructure and a growing bureaucracy that's trying to enforce/collect payments. It's spiralling out of control and a few mates have said people just aren't doing it anymore, especially those on moored boats rather than trailer boats as, Max pointed out correctly again, the muppets stand on the ramps and cha-ching everyone using them.

by definition a yacht under power is a power boat sooo...... :twisted:

And KM, It is Lilley, he is a maritime nz small boat advisor. Of course jim dilley is also a clever fella too, just a different one.

Skipper licencing i could be convinced of.

Registration is the revenue gatherer :thumbdown:

Its a thin edge of the wedge scenario you have to watch out for. If the yachties agree to licensing of stinkpots, then its a very short hop to licensing of yachties too. The old "divide and conquer" philosophy. As recreational boaties (and remember the commercial boaties are licensed and registered up the hoohah) we either stand together or fall apart.

by definition a yacht under power is a power boat sooo...... :twisted:

And KM, It is Lilley, he is a maritime nz small boat advisor. Of course jim dilley is also a clever fella too, just a different one.

Skipper licencing i could be convinced of.

Registration is the revenue gatherer :thumbdown:

Yes you are right and I should read a bit closer.

Registration maybe as I and all yachties don't have to worry as we are already but again that'll soon turn into revenue gathering also, the bureaucracy just can't help itself.

And when you boil it all down who is going to make Rangi Tufalofa get a licence to drive his 1972 1/2 rotten ply fizzer or Joe way more coin than Brain get one for his 13yo to drive the new 14ft inflatable with a 50hp on the back? No one so as usual the problems won't go away at all.

The problem is common sense or a lack of it. As much as the Govt try they have less so they'll never be able to legislate squat to make people use some, if they even have some to start with.

Hey Max - did you sell the mighty Minaret? - I tried to talk a mate of mine into it before Xmas, I know he was looking seriously at it, and I just got a message to call him.

(older guy - first name John)

Hey Max - did you sell the mighty Minaret? - I tried to talk a mate of mine into it before Xmas, I know he was looking seriously at it, and I just got a message to call him.

(older guy - first name John)

sold, Wellington bound.

Buyer did contact an older guy first name John for seaworthiness design info,

and previous owner who sailed a hell of a long way in her.

NO!!

And I voted no also. And it doesn't matter that it is worded "power boaters", because you can bet your bottom dollar that if any Gvt Cretin got even a wiff of the possibility of making money from Boat licencing and or registration, it will end up being everything and anything recreational.

And why do I oppose the idea so much?? Because the result will be absolutely zero out ion the water and more money from our pockets and yet more red tape and pen pushing every year.

And besides, a heap have drowned this last year in no relation to boating. So what happens there. Do we close and fence all beaches and have everyone do a swim test and the ones that pass get a swipe card the can swipe a gate at the beach so they can enter? Ludicrous!, but it is the same basic idea behind liceincing of boats or boaters.

What needs to happen, is that these Fizznasties, jetskis and maybe even the bigger

stinkpots need to be hit hard when they offend. We ALLhave seen kids under age riding those jetskis and not to mention at breakneck speeds. The Parents need to be fined big time. But they are not. If we see them all the time, why don't the authorities.

On a per vessel basis, the number of deaths on the water due to under age and idiots is far higher than the road toll.

The only major issue with dumb boaters though, is the danger they pose to the innocent rule abiding boaters out there.

How about requiring a licence to drive anything capable of 10kts under power - that excludes most yachts.

It shouldn't be a difficult licence to get, something like spending a few hours in a classroom at Coastguard before filling in a test. Basicly it should be something to say "yup, I know there are rules regarding right of way, I know what safety gear I need to carry and how to use it, I know how to check how much fuel I have before leaving the ramp and yup, I promise to remember everything!"

Next thing we should do is put police boats around every headland, entrances to marinas, rivers, etc. Give them all radar guns and a ticket quota. If we are going to give out licences, we need to have an easy way for people to clock up demerits and lose it!

Next thing we should do is put police boats around every headland, entrances to marinas, rivers, etc. Give them all radar guns and a ticket quota. If we are going to give out licences, we need to have an easy way for people to clock up demerits and lose it!

And people will take as much notice as they do with car licences ..... that is the honest and responsible ones who aren't a problem anyway will play by the rules and jump thru the hoops and the shitkickers will continue to be shitkickers and won't give a toss.

BTW - I voted Yes here and No on the Herald website...

Why? Because the article has been deliberately written to make you vote yes. This is stupid media writers trying to influence a poll so that they can push their own agenda in front of the governments face.

If we are going to have a vote on licencing, it should be under neutral conditions, not "some 16 year old just died and something needs to be done about it, do you agree?" Followed by "this is what the ozzies are doing, because they are so much better than us!"

Sure, I agree that something needs to be done to better educate the idiots out there. Whether licencing is the answer, I don't know, but it certainly isn't the way Herald are proposing it. They are scaremongering - which appeals greatly to those who know nothing about boats.

As has been said here many times, if the rules that are actually in place were enforced most of the problems would go away.

In the unfortunate case that has generated the current media frenzy there are quite a few rules that were broken, but of course there will be no repercussions for the survivors.

Sending the parents of the victim the bill for the search and rescue costs (due to him not wearing a PFD) would send the ultimate message to everyone, but is unpalateable to even the hardest supporters of user pays economics.

The other on-water bullying case in the Coromandel needs to be followed up also, but won't be due to the age of all concerned.

Licensing will only affect the lawful, but if the message about repercussions for misdemeanors is hammered home at the time of jumping through the hoops, there could be some positives. Only if the fines are actually handed out though.

QUOTE" Some boaties are not competent at controlling their craft and taking a course helps them get a feel for how their vessel manoeuvres in the water, he said."

I have to buy into this! Having spent a few days on the mooring in the Tamaki estuary I have to agree with licensing. I can see the "revenue gathering" argument as valid but incorporating a "powered vessel" endorsement on a drivers license would go a long way to stopping some of the F%$KING BL^^DY idiots I saw (and filmed!) racing past MOORED vessels in a RESTRICTED channel! It has to happen! Its way too easy for anyone with no experience whatsoever to obtain sea going craft that wrecks the enjoyment of others by their lack of knowledge or empathy and indeed, endangours the lives of others. Unfortunately there is little PRIDE in being able (and SEEN!) to be a masterful skipper these days, its all about giving a thrill to those aboard or those ashore as to how FAST you can go and until the authorieties WAKE UP and see that controls need to be put in place, things will get a lot worse! I am very against compulsory registration. That attacks the boat. not the operator and is simply another money making exercise. Making ANYONE in command of a vessel powered by more than 5hp or capable of more than 5 knots under power to be licensed will no doubt make some of the throttel hungry idiots who like racing through anchorages, swimming areas or past vessels in close proximity think again! The "revenue gathering" would then be quite substantial.... in the form of FINES.

Archived