Propeller Strut.

I made one out of west  105, carbon unis and biax because that what I had lying around but you could make one from e glass which will be perfectly adequate and cheaper. Went to Lustys and got a standard cutlass bearing and cut the carbon to length wet it out and laid it up by draping over the bearing at the right angle . Made it overnight then shaped and fitted it the next day, still working so far :) 

• Upvote 1

Stainless not ideal down there, Bronze is perfect and strong and appears to have some vibration damping properties compared with the carbon launch ones I have experienced, the weight is negligible and down where you want it , unfortunately the two foundries that understood the requirements (both in Porana road are both closed).

Dont use HDPE for a cutless bearing or you will have to machine it half worn out to allow for the water swell, use a brass shell / rubber cutless or Vesconite both of which have decades and decades of history in that application. 

• Upvote 1

I went to Chatfields and they quoted about a grand for a bronze one with a cutlass, a composite one was basically nothing using leftovers plus the bearing. Now I remember how I did it, I made a 150 x 6 x 75  laminate first, then hot glued the cutlass bearing onto it at the right angle and did the rest of the layup over that.

Back when it was Chatfield engineering a standard 1" strut with replaceable bearing and foot (not the shaky tongue mount style) was $320.00 plus gst circa 2006

But they owned and operated their own foundry and fully equipped fettling bay and machine shop. No longer the case.