antifoul

khayyam

let's suppose that your antifoul is in pretty bad shape and needs to be redone, but you'd rather wait until the winter haul out to redo it properly. during the summer would you

a) skipping having a scrub done to preserve the remaining antifoul

B) have it scrubbed to keep it as clean as possible

c) other ?

currently moderate growth on a primarily cruising boat.

We found that we had attempted to over-extend the life of our antifoul last year and ended up biting the bullet and re-doing it in February because the boat had become so un-enjoyable to use. By un-enjoyable I mean speed was down and every outing had become an opportunity to jump over the side and clean it yet again.

I guess it is dependent on the type of antifoul and any remaining beneficial effect that it is still having and others on this site are probably more knowledgeable than me on the subject.

I would be opting for b, on the basis that:

- if the existing paint is...ah...for want of a better word, rooted, there is no value in nursing it

- growth seems to provide a toe-hold for more (and more substantial) growth.

Also, although it is not environmentally sensitive to say so, some of the old guys used to have a philosophy of cleaning it to the point that there was hardly any left to be sanded off by the time you go on the hard.

We found that we had attempted to over-extend the life of our antifoul last year and ended up biting the bullet and re-doing it in February because the boat had become so un-enjoyable to use. By un-enjoyable I mean speed was down and every outing had become an opportunity to jump over the side and clean it yet again.

I guess it is dependent on the type of antifoul and any remaining beneficial effect that it is still having and others on this site are probably more knowledgeable than me on the subject.

I would be opting for b, on the basis that:

- if the existing paint is...ah...for want of a better word, rooted, there is no value in nursing it

- growth seems to provide a toe-hold for more (and more substantial) growth.

Also, although it is not environmentally sensitive to say so, some of the old guys used to have a philosophy of cleaning it to the point that there was hardly any left to be sanded off by the time you go on the hard.

Yeah, what that man said although of course without the environmentally unfriendly bit - Helen still may have some sandal wearing lefty friends here...

Give it a good scrub. If any copper is left in there somewhere it will then be closer to the surface and you just might squeeze some more life out of it. And even if you keep cleaning the Hull till your hull out time, it isn't going to cause any issues.

Do check for shellfish and barnicles on the prop. They will cause cavitation and slow you down big time. Make sure your anodes are OK. If in doubt on that one, hang a Fish or Mouse anode over the side.

Give it a good scrub. If any copper is left in there somewhere it will then be closer to the surface and you just might squeeze some more life out of it. And even if you keep cleaning the Hull till your hull out time, it isn't going to cause any issues.

Do check for shellfish and barnicles on the prop. They will cause cavitation and slow you down big time. Make sure your anodes are OK. If in doubt on that one, hang a Fish or Mouse anode over the side.

.....assuming its copper based antifoul.

Yeah I eeked mine out a few years ago and spent the summer going for a swim with a light scrubbing sponge every couple of weekends. It wasn't so bad as to slow me down too much and I wasn't racing.

At the end of the season I thought about lifting but though it was a waste to put a newly antifouled boat back in the marina to sit it out for the winter. So left it all winter, it never got so bad, and had a nice fresh paint job for the start of the next summer.

mix some copper oxychloride (off the shelf at most hardware and garden shops) into your anti-foul..... MAF might have a fit but it WORKS!!.... failing that uranium 235.... the fish are easy to find in the dark! :lol:

Wetdream, I am not saying it does not work. But to be really sure, did you do an area with and without to see what the long term over all result was???

I played around with this stuff several years ago trying to make myself a cheap Anti-foul. But in doing so, I discovered a lot more about Anti-foul, how they work and exactly why they use the type of Copper Oxide they do. I can say that it is not JUST about the Copper. I also found that adding these powders to already made anti-foul, stuffed up the rate of errosion. But the main issue I discovered was how the various copper products themselves worked and thus how they targeted the various forms of growth. And that powder, meant for fungal growth in the Garden, did not do so well in protecting from marine growth in the water. Now that is not to say you did not have a result. The fact that you increased the content of copper probably gave you an increase in performance. But the negatives are that you are introducing a compound into the water that could be far more poisonus to the environment and the second maybe that over the longer term, you have a shorter life of the coating. Maybe.

Archived