Auckland to Hawke's Bay?

The grandkids have a cricket tournament in Hawke's Bay in January. We thought we might like to take the boat (Wright 10 in Westhaven) around to Napier to catch a game or two, visit a winery or two, and generally do family things for a week or two.

But we've never been down that way by boat. Any thoughts on how long the trip would take (assuming wind and weather not too unfavourable)? We'd be double-handing and anchoring every night. No watch and watch for us.

MS

For a Wright 10 I would expect the trip to be 2.5-3 days non stop.

Anchoring every night isn't that feasible as a lot of the trip is very exposed and places to anchor are either well off track or only suitable in limited wind/swell directions.

Rounding East Cape is a serious undertaking...Ive done it at least 8 times and only had 2 calm roundings, the others were getting bashed to various degrees.

From the tone of your email I would leave the boat at home and take the car as this doesn't sound like a trip for you!

No problem as far as Tauranga.  Allow say 3to 4 days. But then next stop is Gisborne. At least 2  days nonstop, then another overnighter to Napier..  then add days waiting in Tauranga for decent weather. Remember the most dangerous thing on a sailboat is a calendar. 

Doable yes, enjoyable yes. But don't rush it.

Have to agree with BP. It'd be a great adventure but two legs of long overnight watch keeping. 

You'd have to allow a 10 day window each way. 

I'd say a better use of the time would be to drive to Napier - a one day trip each way and you get to stay in a nice motel.  Then you could spend the other 18 days to do a trip to Tauranga.  It should be on your to do list in any case. Lots of great places en route. I don't know why most in Auckland only ever go north. 

If you have time, give it a go. The worst is you stop in Tauranga after at least getting around the corner and deciding it isn't for you.

I suggest Auckland to the Mercs. Mercs to Slipper or Mayor. Then to Tauranga. Then you need to allow for at least one overnight passage to get to Gisborne. Stopping in Tologa Bay or Hick Bay is fine if the weather is playing ball. You also get to get close up with White Island which is fun from a distance

Then Gisborne, Then Napier. Both these clubs are really friendly, central and a great experience.

Take an experienced friend to give you extra confidence.

Thanks for the insights. The charts are good but don't give the whole picture.

We are pretty familiar with the Gulf and the coast as far as BOI (about eight years of summer sailing in the region) but for one reason or another have never really thought of going the other way.

We might try to make the jaunt to Tauranga this summer. 

Thanks all

MS

(Above the Fold)

14 hours ago, ballystick said:

They have constructed a completely new cut, a marina is in the plan too. The expansion is mainly to assist with the development of a mussel farming exercise out to sea, so a bigger port for bigger boats is part of it.

Cool. Somewhere to explore this summer.