Yanmar waterpump.

Just been guesstimated between $1500 & 1800 to sand blast,pull a 3gm30f raw water pump apart, and fit 2 new bearings and seal, repaint. I supply the bits!

I think they are taking the piss. 

Anybody know an engineering place i could try for sensible pricing?

I have removed the pump from boat so no farting around.

Yes i was disappointed with that reply. That the pump is off a boat meant i was handed onto the marine guy. Clearly cos its a boat its so much more complex.

1 hour ago, Romany said:

Just been guesstimated between $1500 & 1800 to sand blast,pull a 3gm30f raw water pump apart, and fit 2 new bearings and seal, repaint. I supply the bits!

I think they are taking the piss. 

Anybody know an engineering place i could try for sensible pricing?

I have removed the pump from boat so no farting around.

Just rebuilt 2 of them from the gm series, think it was $80 for 2 seals, 2 bearings, 2 gaskets and one impeller. You can rattle can them if you like but being bronze why bother? 

Remember to lap the faceplate flat with some wet and dry on a sheet of glass and you might need a type of bearing puller that levers the two bearing apart

Repco Bearing Separator Set 50-75mm - RST78

Its all pretty basic

• Upvote 1

You can get cans of suitable enamel spray paint from many suppliers, including from Bumblings, budget about $30.

A piece that small you could clean up without sand blasting. Wire brush, or a small bit on a dremel. If you don't have a dremel you could buy 5 or 6 for the cost of getting someone else to do it.

Service kit you are supplying already. Just need to work out how to push the bearings - not complicated.

We spray painted our old engine, and many of its components, it lasts fine. We went with a nice gold colour, to reflect the total cost of maintaining a boat ;-) 

Did my one just before Christmas, genuine seals -and the bearings from a bearing shop about $150.00 for parts and two hours work (including making some timber shapes to press it together)

just did the lip seals, and two bearings on my 2ym15 raw water pump.  was easy and cheap.  use a press to get the bearings off the shaft, but just tapped the new ones one.  hardest part was finding someone to sell me the parts locally, and pressing the old front bearing off which had corroded onto the shaft somewhat.

got the seals, bearings etc here in the end

https://www.lhmarine.co.nz/collections/johnson-pump

Yes I am willing to try it myself but I don't have a bearing press, and so think I would have to resort to primitive procedures - like a f...ing big hammer to remove the bearings .

I have yootube too, and of course it looks simple enough. D2 has a mechanical boyfriend so I think I will get his help and do it under supervision

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Romany said:

D2 has a mechanical boyfriend so I think I will get his help and do it under supervision

Is the boyfriends name R2D2 by chance?

Or C3PO?

(Mechanical men)

• Haha 1